Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL owners approve formula for determining potential 17th game

shakedownstreet

New scheduling procedures with respect to the 17th regular-season game will "be an interconference match-up based on divisional standings" from the previous campaign, and "on a rotating divisional basis" in a fashion similar to current scheduling standards that annually see one AFC division play an entire NFC division, and so on. This change should mean the football-viewing world will see more marquee matchups across conferences that would traditionally be limited by the annual interconference divisional rotations.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-approve-formula-for-determining-potential-17th-game

I look forward to this. Especially losing a preseason game. It's technically a 'potential' 17th game, but we all know it's going to happen

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't like it.  I think it's good the way it is.  

I'm not looking forward to all fawning over players breaking single season records.   They love doing that.  

Personally I think the fans are more the ones who fawn over players breaking records.

In this day of fans wanting fantasy football stats it stands to reason. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I think the fans are more the ones who fawn over players breaking records.

In this day of fans wanting fantasy football stats it stands to reason. 

I don't know.   I agree about stats, but breaking records is what all the networks love to talk about once the season starts.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I don't know.   I agree about stats, but breaking records is what all the networks love to talk about once the season starts.   

Yeah, I see your point but IMO it is sad that the players who played during a time when there were not 16 games played are overlooked and disregarded. 

1935-1936 12 game season

1937-1942  11 game season

1943-1945  10 game season

1946  11 game season

1947-1960  12 game season

1961-1977  14 game season

1978-present  16 game season

This needs to be considered when fans use stats to judge who they think is the greatest. 

That is why I personally think Sammy Baugh is the GOAT player of all time. 

Todays stats should have an asterisk next to all listings.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm thinking the NFLPA will oppose this.  The owners are going to have to probably give up something in order to get a 17th game.  

Seems dumb to me.  We could do with one less pre-season game.  We don't need to replace it with a regular season game.  

I worry about the health of a lot of players if the season is expanded.

I am not sure about the percentage of players who get through a season without missing games.

That is why it is brought to our attention when a offensive or defensive line makes it through a whole season without missing games. It is rare.

Would adding another bye week really make a difference? 

Archived