Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts' Donnie Avery Claims He Ran A 40 In 4.25

Restored

He certainly seems like he has something to prove, but from his interviews he also sounds like a true team player. When a guy goes through an injury like that he probably now knows the value of earning your spot. Hopefully he can earn that starting spot. He'd complement Wayne and Collie/White nicely.

Well I sincerely hope he has a break out year and steps up but if he had shown any sign that he had those skills in him the Titans would have resigned him just as cheap as we did and the Rams would never have let him go. Both those teams have major needs at WR and if doesn't warrent a spot on their teams that should warrant A LOT of caution on our side. Look...he is low cost player and can help fill out a roster but for some people to start posting praises about the guy seems a little premature. To be honest until he proves anything we have to take off our rose colored glasses. I mean we already have our yet to be rookie qb going into the hall of fame before he even takes a snap and I am just as hopeful and see great prospects in the kid as any but people around here should at least be a little cautious before putting so much hype on people. We have been extremely fortunate franchise for the last 13 years but we could very well have a string of bad "Luck" as easy as the good we have had.

http://profootballta...n-4-25-seconds/

As a 2008 second-round draft pick who played well in his first couple seasons with the Rams, Donnie Avery once looked like a future star in the NFL. But Avery missed all of 2010 with a knee injury, then was released by the Rams and caught only three passes for the Titans in 2011, and when he signed with the Colts last week, it was viewed as a relatively insignificant free agent move.

Avery, however, says the talent that made him a second-round pick and a promising rookie is still there, and that the Colts just got themselves a playmaker. In fact, Avery claims that even after his 2010 knee injury, Avery got all the way back to full speed, to the point where he could run a 40-yard dash in 4.25 seconds.

“Last year after the injury, after the lockout, I did clock a 4.25,” Avery told Indianapolis reporters, in comments distributed by the Colts’ PR staff. “It was on grass and it was 40 yards in Houston.”

One reporter asked an interesting follow-up to that claim: Why did Avery run a 4.49-second 40-yard dash at the Combine?

“I had a pulled hamstring,” Avery answered. “I told all of the coaches before I had a pulled hamstring and they told me, ‘don’t do anything.’ But I just felt bad sitting back and watching other guys run and compete and I couldn’t participate. After that I did the gauntlet, re-strained it and had to sit out the rest of the Combine.”

Hamstring injury or not, I have a feeling that when Avery was timed at 4.25 seconds he was aided by a generous hand-timer, and that at the Combine he wouldn’t have run that fast. But if Avery is as fast now as he was during his rookie season with the Rams, the Colts have added a good deep threat for Andrew Luck.

Didnt Rocket ISmail (Notre Dame in the early 90s) run a 4.17 inthe NCAA finals ?

He certainly seems like he has something to prove, but from his interviews he also sounds like a true team player. When a guy goes through an injury like that he probably now knows the value of earning your spot. Hopefully he can earn that starting spot. He'd complement Wayne and Collie/White nicely.

He would get a lot of single coverage with Colie and Wayne being more established..

...he would be the stretch-the-field guy......then its just up to him to run fast and make plays..