Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson: "Freeney is a Colt, period" [Merge]

Busta

How about take the 19Million cap hit with no strings attached and go about it that route? There's not many players we can get that are left on the F/A market or in the draft that would really impact the way that Freeney would be able to, even at this stage in his career. We are planning to be big spenders next year it looks like so why continue the string of dead cap hits into next year?

I'm talking extremes. I think it's extreme that we would extend Freeney this year, pay him at least $14 million for one season, and then release him next year. It's far more likely that we'd continue on with Freeney on the team, and given how good of a player he is, there's not much reason to believe that we won't be able to get significant production out of him moving forward.

Either way, the point is that you don't pay someone $14 million just to see how they look in your new defense. And you really shouldn't pay them $14 million for one season when you don't think they're worth that much. Add in the fact that his cap hit is prohibitive at $19 million, and it becomes necessary to do something.

Also, it's not about paying other players. As it stands now, we don't have enough cap room to fill out our roster going into camp, not to mention adding another free agent. Even if we didn't need that cap space, it's not sensible to keep him at that cap figure.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the way contracts work, my friend. Please understand, though, that the Colts have very little incentive to trade him after paying him $17 million in the first year of the contract. Especially when he'll be on the roster with a very realistic cap hit moving forward.

By your rationale, no player would ever agree to an extension. You're missing the point entirely.

I do understand what you are saying, but I will take loyalty over mercs every day. For Freeney to extend his contract, the Franchise is asking for loyalty. I read your other post about a "no trade" clause and I do not see it. I understand about his age and possible decline in skills, so IMO a no trade clause would not be an option in the contract.

Anybody who hasn't seen how important Freeney has been to this team...what the team looks like without him in the lineup, is truly blind. Some people see the stat sheet and that's all

agree....and without him Mathis becomes a mere mortal...the Colts would have a one- legged pass rush.....over the years we have all seen what happens when one is playing without the other.......I believe Pagono when he said a month ago that he absolutely wants them both on the team for as long as possible...I also believe Grigson when he says that they have not been trying to trade Freeney....and that he will be a Colt next year.....

I do understand what you are saying, but I will take loyalty over mercs every day. For Freeney to extend his contract, the Franchise is asking for loyalty. I read your other post about a "no trade" clause and I do not see it. I understand about his age and possible decline in skills, so IMO a no trade clause would not be an option in the contract.

They're not asking for loyalty. That's absurd. I don't know where you're coming from with that, but it's not the case.

And his age and potential decline are no reason not to include a no-trade clause. They actually make the no-trade clause moot, because no team is going to trade for him if we're concerned about his age and decline. Maybe now at 32, but in a couple of years, no way. I only bring up the no-trade clause because you're hung up on that aspect. That's the fix.

But I get it now. You can't wrap your mind around the idea of Freeney agreeing to an extension because you've already made up your mind that that idea is unacceptable to him. Doesn't matter how logical it is.

We disagree. Case closed.

There's no point to an extension if we find out this year he doesn't really work in the new scheme. Better to take the hit now then not have to worry about anything for the future if he doesn't pan out or doesn't produce.

The reason you trade or cut him is because he saves you 14 million in cap space this year. You can use that money to extend current players (collie,bethea, powers, angerer), sign new players, sign draft picks, and most importantly roll over any unused cap space into 2013 (where we could target big name FA with that extra money). It isnt just what we can get this year but also what we could get next year. To me is he worth the money that 14 million dollars could get us back..no

Anybody who hasn't seen how important Freeney has been to this team...what the team looks like without him in the lineup, is truly blind. Some people see the stat sheet and that's all

Really!? I seem to remember watching last year him on that defense help the team soooo much they went 2-14! He was a great player but only because in the past we played with a lead. Our offense forced opposing teams to play from behind and throw the ball more and be more predictable. We won't have that luxury anymore. Dwight Freeney is one of the leagues best pass rushers but also perhaps the WORST run defenders. For 14 million dollars we could have a lot better defense. I don't get how we are much better because we dumped PM but we would be soo much worse for letting go of DF. By most theories getting rid of PM was suppose to allow us to be much more balanced and be able to spend money on the defense....yet DF has just as bad a contract but he is untouchable. I am every bit as confident we could get 2 to 3 or 4 players with Dwights cap space that would equal if not be way more productive. I've seen the Colts without DF and without PM. Both cases we were not as good...but without PM we lost and without DF we still managed to win games. If the direction of the team was to cut ties with the greatest qb we have ever had for a rookie prospect that we have no guarantees he will be anywhere near as successful because we couldn't keep PM cap hit or we wanted to rebuild than why would DF cap hit be acceptable or help us rebuild? In a few years by the time we are able to compete for the playoffs we hope..DF will be washed up. Better off getting younger across the board.