Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1070 Am Radio Show Trade Idea

chad72

I dont think anyone here is proposing he be paid CJ or AP money, we know by now those deals are preposterous.

Something like Superman proposed, a 5 yr. $35-40 mil. (or 4 yr. $30 mil.) over the 3 yr. $20 mil. the Bears gave is definitely a happy medium we can make work. RBs picked in rounds 1 or 2 are picked there for a reason, Forte was a round 2 RB and is more well rounded, IMO than a AP in the passing game. He will be one of those few, like Jamaal Charles, that can be worth some kind of money, though not the lavish kind.

I doubt he would sign that deal, and that is a bit extreme in my opinion.

I like the idea of that trade, but as some have said theres no way we can afford to bring to indy. we have just enough left to sign the draft picks. now if this was next years off season then it would be perfect with all the money the colts should have.

If you trade Freeney for him, you come out ahead by $6.3 million.

The 1070 AM radio show hosts Michael Grady and Joe Staysniak were debating this idea:

A straight up trade of Matt Forte from the Bears for Dwight Freeney from the Colts.

What do you guys think of that???

No way! The value of a proven pass rushing DE far out weighs a RB coming off of a torn ACL.

even with Freeny's contract and the fact hes 32 and hasnt played in a 3-4 (not saying he cant, just saying it will take time)? Ill take the younger running back but Barber just retired so they will probably keep him and work a better deal for him, I certainly would if he shows he has that explosion he used to have

The 1070 AM radio show hosts Michael Grady and Joe Staysniak were debating this idea:

A straight up trade of Matt Forte from the Bears for Dwight Freeney from the Colts.

What do you guys think of that???

Sign and trade deal..............the thing is, both players would have to do it! I like the idea of a workhourse back that can catch, block and run the rock............would be good to have him to help Luck as he is a "proven" commodity versus the "talent" and "potential" of our other backs! However, he would require a hefty contract over 4-6 years I'm sure?

But then you must sign or lose him and hope his leg injury has recovered..

..so you end up with a great big bowl of nothing..and you still need another DE and RB

Not really. If we keep Freeney, we pay him $14 million for one year (based on his current contract). If we trade him for Forte, we have him for one year at $7.7 million. After 2013, we have nothing, but that's the same either way. This way, we'd save $6.3 million.

I'm not really that excited about the idea, to be honest. I really like Matt Forte, and if I had to choose between trading Freeney for a draft pick and trading him for Forte, I'd probably pick Forte, assuming we could reach terms on a sensible multi-year deal. But Forte wants CJ/AP money, and I don't even think CJ and AP are worth that. I think we'd be better off trading Freeney for a pick, maybe swapping our third for an extra second and a fifth. Something like that.

I'm just pointing out, as it pertains to whether we'd be able to afford Forte, we would afford him easily if we're giving up Freeney for him. We come out ahead.