Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts DLine Ranked 15th

Lucky Colts Fan

https://www.nfl.com/videos/game-theory-ranking-all-32-teams-by-defensive-line-strength

Not surprising we're middle-of-the-pack.

I was surprised at where some of the other teams ranked, like the Chargers at 13 (thought they'd be higher with Bosa and Ingram), Rams at 12 (thought Donald would put them in the top 10), and the Bills at 7 (I guess they're just solid across the line?).

I actually thought they'd rank us around 11 or 12.

I also think adding an interior guy like Buckner will greatly improve things for some of the other folks along the DL, as well as the LBs and DBs. The machine will run so much better with him at 3T. 

I would not be shocked if we're top 10 if Autry and Turay play well once the season begins. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I also think adding an interior guy like Buckner will greatly improve things for some of the other folks along the DL, as well as the LBs and DBs. The machine will run so much better with him at 3T. 

I agree, and conversely I wouldn't rank SF at #2 since they lost Buckner. I'm convinced he was a lot more integral to that DL's success than folks realize. Those looking at Indy's and SF's DLs will understand soon, though!

1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

I agree, and conversely I wouldn't rank SF at #2 since they lost Buckner. I'm convinced he was a lot more integral to that DL's success than folks realize. Those looking at Indy's and SF's DLs will understand soon, though!

Yup. A great 3T can simply make an average D, great, and losing one can make an elite D average. Not saying SF will be average (they had a very solid rotation), but losing Buckner will hurt. And it's going to really help Indy. Houston's job will be easier, and likely help extend his career if he re-signs. Turay and Autry's job will be easier. If Autry turns into a 3 down flex guy (DT on passing downs, DE vs run), or Turay turns into a 3 down DE, either one of those guys could have a hell of a year. 

RE - Houston, Muhammad, Turay

UT - Buckner, 

DT - Stewart, Day, Windsor

LE - Autry, Lewis, Banogu

I put the two "run stoppers" first on the end positions but you know Turay and Banogu will be on the field in most pass rushing situations.

That looks like the "waves" that Ballard was talking about.

Not considering our slot corner is one of the best in the business at blitzing as well as Leonard from the weakside......

Should be able to smother some offenses this year reminiscent of the old Bears/Bucs Tampa 2 defenses!

Of our starting four....

We have two top tier guys: Buckner and Houston.

But we also have two guys who are not consistently proven — not yet:  Autry and Stewart.   Or anyone else you want to substitute in.  Our young guys have talent, but this is their time to prove it. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of our starting four....

We have two top tier guys: Buckner and Houston.

But we also have two guys who are not consistently proven — not yet:  Autry and Stewart.   Or anyone else you want to substitute in.  Our young guys have talent, but this is their time to prove it. 

And that is why they are ranked 15th......by the end of the season though.....that will change!

Archived