Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Larry Coyer & Colts 2011-2012 Defense

Manning2Wayne

Honestly, I really like Coyer and his work with our defense over the past two years, keep in mind, we had a lot of injuries and a lot of rookies play defense for us last year,

he was great in Carolina, they had tough defense for a long while,

and in his first year here, he showed some exotic blitz and pretty solid defense, id say maybe except one or two calls i think

anyways, so far with additions of jamal anderson, tommie harris, ernie simms, drake nevis, ben ijalana, Antony Castanzo, Delone carter, chad spann,

im sure, this is his last year on his contract, and since front office have supplied him with numerous weapons, some needing development,

im sure, harris, simms will be an impact, line backers are solid id say, i like wheeler still, angerer, bracket, conner looks good and almost becoming consistently good

corners are questionable, but we have powers back, so that is huge plus over last season, tryon should be starting over lacey, but, if front office sees potential and are giving him every chance i hope he breaks out

safeties- bethea- need i say more- really captain of the defense no doubt-- bullitt- quiet-silent-effective, and emergence of joe lefeged

what do you fans think or feel

The thing I have to keep reminding myself is that he had to work with a lot (and I mean a lot!) of subs due to injury.

The Tim Jennings type of defense is extremely frustrating, but I can see how the odds work for us if it's played correctly. We need one big stop or stop for no gain in a series and we usually take possession.

But the frustrating part is watching a team have a 3 yard run, another 3 yard run (two decent stops), and then throw a 5 yard pass because we play off the receiver.

Overall, I give him a solid B. But I give our ST coach a solid D-.

This upcoming year is Coyer's make or break year in my books. He had a good season his first year here and our defense played pretty well under him. I liked how he was more aggressive and called blitzes (which were very successful if I remember correctly). Last year, our defense played poorly and part of the blame goes to Coyer, but he did have to work with 2nd string guys and rookies as starters, so he couldn't call up as many complex plays. If he can have the defense playing well again this year, I say we keep him. If the defense plays poorly again, I wouldn't mind us letting him go and seeing who is available to be our defensive coordinator. The most frustrating part of our defense is how the CBs play the receivers off in short yardage situations. So many times it's 3rd and 3 and we see our CBs giving a 6 or 7 yard cushion. I'm not sure if that is Coyer's call or if he lets the players do what they are comfortable doing, but something about that needs to change.

The thing I have to keep reminding myself is that he had to work with a lot (and I mean a lot!) of subs due to injury.

The Tim Jennings type of defense is extremely frustrating, but I can see how the odds work for us if it's played correctly. We need one big stop or stop for no gain in a series and we usually take possession.

But the frustrating part is watching a team have a 3 yard run, another 3 yard run (two decent stops), and then throw a 5 yard pass because we play off the receiver.

Overall, I give him a solid B. But I give our ST coach a solid D-.

But the frustrating part is watching a team have a 3 yard run, another 3 yard run (two decent stops), and then throw a 5 yard pass because we play off the receiver.But the frustrating part is watching a team have a 3 yard run, another 3 yard run (two decent stops), and then throw a 5 yard pass because we play off the receiver.But the frustrating part is watching a team have a 3 yard run, another 3 yard run (two decent stops), and then throw a 5 yard pass because we play off the receiver.But the frustrating part is watching a team have a 3 yard run, another 3 yard run (two decent stops), and then throw a 5 yard pass because we play off the receiver.But the frustrating part is watching a team have a 3 yard run, another 3 yard run (two decent stops), and then throw a 5 yard pass because we play off the receiver.

TELL ME ABOUT IT !!!! and if that doesn't happen - the reverse does..first down a five yard pass.....and two runs, 1st down.......8 minute drive....peyton gets the ball 3 times in the half ........and we lose the superbowl....and we lose the wild card game

Please I think his schemes suck and we need a new D coordinator and we need a new special teams coordinator

i dont think so 2010 yes, but thats really because of all the injuries and the new players and rookies having to learn and play at the same time. if you remember 09 there were games the defense won the game for us like the game vs the jags.

Honestly, I really like Coyer and his work with our defense over the past two years, keep in mind, we had a lot of injuries and a lot of rookies play defense for us last year,

he was great in Carolina, they had tough defense for a long while,

and in his first year here, he showed some exotic blitz and pretty solid defense, id say maybe except one or two calls i think

anyways, so far with additions of jamal anderson, tommie harris, ernie simms, drake nevis, ben ijalana, Antony Castanzo, Delone carter, chad spann,

im sure, this is his last year on his contract, and since front office have supplied him with numerous weapons, some needing development,

im sure, harris, simms will be an impact, line backers are solid id say, i like wheeler still, angerer, bracket, conner looks good and almost becoming consistently good

corners are questionable, but we have powers back, so that is huge plus over last season, tryon should be starting over lacey, but, if front office sees potential and are giving him every chance i hope he breaks out

safeties- bethea- need i say more- really captain of the defense no doubt-- bullitt- quiet-silent-effective, and emergence of joe lefeged

what do you fans think or feel

Coyer never coached at Carolina, so he had nothing to do with their solid defense for a lot of years.

I think Coyer has some good ideas for defense and I am willing to give somewhat of a pass for last year because of all the injuries that forced the Colts to be more generic than in 2009. But I did notice, in 2009 the same thing that plagued him in Denver... start off like gang busters but then fade in the 2nd half. He becomes predictable, especially with the situation and the personnel he uses for blitzes and teams would start taking advantage of that. If he would scout himself and become less predictable the Colts could have a very good D all season.

Personally, I've been disappointed with Larry Coyer - I know injuries have been a huge factor in it, but I think my disappointment with Coyer stems from the unrealistic expectations I had of him.

When I thought of Coyer prior to him coming to the Colts, I always think back to the Denver-Patriots play-off game in 2005 when Coyer absolutely destroyed the Patriots - at one point his D had 11 guys walking around the line of scrimmage showing blitz / backing off, wandering around and it completely wrecked havoc on the Patriots.

I thought we were acquiring a defensive coordinator who could game-plan and make crucial in-game adjustments and attack an offense rather than sit back in the passive Cover 2 shell that Meeks preferred and dying a death of a thousand cuts

I truly thought when we acquired Coyer and gave Meeks the boot, we made a championship move and it seemed like that for the majority of 2009 but then the injuries mounted and we started noticing things that took some shine off his star: ineffective blitzes, passive / soft coverage with corners too far off, stunting our defensive ends and rendering them ineffective etc.

Sometimes I think that Coyer simply doesn't have the personnel on this roster to play the style of attacking-defense he wants, particularly with our corners. It does seem however our philosophy towards our corners is starting to shift towards corners that can play man-to-man, eg Powers, Tryon, Thomas but in terms of the product on the field, and it's short-comings last year I can't tell if it was purely due to injury or scheme or both. This year will tell us alot about Coyer, in my opinion.