Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis on For the COLTure Podcast aka thoughts on Turay

neug3246

The Strip Sack Master King Robert Mathis joins For the COLTure Podcast and talks about his playing days teammates and his pass rushing consulting business. Towards the end he also has a piece on Turay starting at 27:15 mark. Interesting listen as Mathis was one of the guys that scouted and found Turay and brought him to Ballards attention. Also mentioned that Turay will be the sack champion in 1-2 years and has the talent to break the all time NFL sack record for a single season! What do you guys think? Also has thoughts on Houston and the D as a unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkI-rykczsI 

4 hours ago, bananabucket said:

He did look great before getting hurt.  Hes a pressure machine in obvious passing situations.

Houston, Buckner, and a healthy Turay is going to be nasty.

He definitely showed flashes, though wasn't very consistent and it seemed like he did his best against lower-tiered tackles but was neutralized a bit by elite tackles (not uncommon, but the great pass rushers won a fair amount of battles against elite tackles).  

We knew he was raw when he was drafted.  Ballard didn't hide that from us.  I think having him work with Mathis (and Houston) is a great thing for him.  From watching the clips he posts on twitter every once in a while, it seems like he works his tail off and is dedicated to honing his craft.  You can watch some by scrolling down here:  https://twitter.com/Kturay_58

Hopefully he stays healthy and this last injury doesn't have any lingering effects.  He should continue to improve as he learns more technique and reduces his rawness.  The addition of Buckner to the line should also help both Houston and Turay tremendously.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I guess we will find out if he can fill those lofty expectations.  I’m sure Turray appreciates the praise but he is paying Mathis.  I will be ecstatic if he can play 14 or more games a year and average 8-12 sacks. 

Year 3 should tell everyone who he is. 

31 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I fear it will only show glimpses of his potential.  I never expect much when a player misses the majority of the year due to injury.  Normally takes them a year before they are fully back. 

He was injury prone in college, so I’m not getting my hopes up. 

Archived