Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine Testing and On-Field Drills Thread - Day 4 - DBs

Last day of the combine is here and it's one of the more exciting days. I love watching the DBs work out... some of the best athletes coming into the league. I also think this CB class is kind of good in the first couple of rounds. 

Here's the sheet with the known measurements as of now:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kWcb-dn9aqgn2pM6teYGbxiA4Kql1aMMrgjvtD-ofTE/edit#gid=894401990

I posted this in another thread but worth pointing out what type of players Ballard seems to like when it comes to CBs:

Here's an article about Seahawks' preference for their CBs to have long arms(over 32")

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/25533/in-search-of-a-seahawks-type-cb-start-with-32-inch-arms

Ballard is similar and our FO has connections to the Seahawks one... so... can you guess what's in common between Quincy Wilson, Rock Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell? Yep... all of them have arms 32" or longer

Quincy Wilson 32¼"

Rock Ya-Sin 33⅛"

Marvell Tell 32"

@NewColtsFan pointed out that Kenny Moore has long arms too...

So yeah... watch out for the players with some length in the workouts today

Here are all CBs that measured with 32" or longer arms:

Alabama CB Trevon Diggs
Virginia CB Bryce Hall
Nebraska CB Lamar Jackson
Tulane CB Bopete Keyes
Iowa CB Michael Ojemudia
Ohio State CB Jeff Okudah
Georgia Southern CB Kindle Vildor

Close but not quite there:

TCU CB Jeff Gladney
Temple CB Harrison Hand
Auburn CB Noah Igbinoghene

From the safeties(over 32" arms):

Jeremy Chinn

Kamren Curl

Kyle Dugger

Josh Metellus

J.R. Reed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

no idea... he's doing the drills, so... probably not hurt... just chose not to run 40. 

Thanks. Do you have a favorite guy amongst the CBs and safeties? Has Winfield Jr run and done the drills?

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. Do you have a favorite guy amongst the CBs and safeties? Has Winfield Jr run and done the drills?

Okudah is awesome. But out of range. 

I liked Dantzler but that time is... yikes... might be disqualifying. 

Trevon Diggs and Bryce Hall in the second would be nice... 

Kindle Vildor is interesting too... not sure where he goes? Third? Not sure. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Diggs looking nice in the gauntlet. Fulton and Gladney too.

Henderson was so on balance too... those top tier CBs look about as good as the WRs in this one. 

Vikes are in need of CB. For years, Colts fans have lamented the drafting of Werner over Rhodes. He may become of free agent. He may be a cap casualty. We also may not re-sign Trae Waynes. We also need safety help with safety Anthony Harris possibly leaving too. That Cousins contract was a killer. We used to re-sign all our valued players before they reached free agency. Now we may lose many pieces of our defense.  :( 

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Vikes are in need of CB. For years, Colts fans have lamented the drafting of Werner over Rhodes. He may become of free agent. He may be a cap casualty. We also may not re-sign Trae Waynes. We need secondary help with safety Anthony Harris possibly leaving too. That Cousins contract was a killer. We used to re-sign all our valued players before they reached free agency. Now we may lose many pieces of our defense.  :(

Yeah, that's what I mean when I harp on not giving franchise QB type of money to non-franchise QB here. Just your margin for error becomes so slim and you start losing quality elsewhere on the roster and in that moment it's important for the player you are doing this for(the QB) to be able to compensate for the talent you lose. 

How are Mike Hughes and Holton Hill developing? Are they ready to take over? I liked both coming into the league. 

Oh, BTW Winfield Jr hasn't worked out yet. He's with the safeties AFAIK. 

• Thanks 1

The safeties are running the 40 now. 

Terrell Burgess 4.46... this is nice for him... he's quite versatile safety... plays all over the defense. 

Jeremy Chinn 4.46 ... great testing for Chinn... 

Kyle Dugger 4.50

Xavier McKinney 4.64

Tanner Muse 4.43 ? doesn't look this fast on tape

J.R. Reed 4.55

L'Jarius Sneed 4.38

Geno Stone 4.65 (PFF favorite... they thought he would be the new Darnell Savage... not with that time, he won't be)

Antoine Winfield Jr 4.48

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Borderline 1st round player.

One thing that might drop him a bit is that he's not very young. He will be 24 at the time of the draft but he's aced every part of the pre-draft process so far. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah, that's what I mean when I harp on not giving franchise QB type of money to non-franchise QB here. Just your margin for error becomes so slim and you start losing quality elsewhere on the roster and in that moment it's important for the player you are doing this for(the QB) to be able to compensate for the talent you lose. 

I agree 100%.

How are Mike Hughes and Holton Hill developing? Are they ready to take over? I liked both coming into the league. 

Hughes missed almost this entire rookie season and he missed time again this year. He looked good when he played.

Hill has not played a lot but I thought he played well when he did. However, he has already been suspended 4 games for drug use. As we discussed last year, that is one reason he went undrafted.

Oh, BTW Winfield Jr hasn't worked out yet. He's with the safeties AFAIK. 

Ok. Based on your subsequent posts, it seems he ran well. His father was a Borderline great player with the Vikes. It seems like he could be pretty good too.

• Like 1