Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I want number 10 in a Colts uniform next season.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

You do understand the nfl has no control of a player says if you draft me I am not signing with you. It’s been done before.

Don't be naive..

I know it's been done before I gave you 3 of the 5 who did it, and 2 of the 3 I mentioned, could have and did play, in the MLB. The other being Eli, whose last name helped him more than anything.

Again, 3 times in the last 40 years, and 4 in the last 60. If the NFL didn't have control, this would have happened a lot more than 4 times in the last 60 years. Guys stand to lose too much money and damage their reputation by doing that, especially when they don't have a Plan B which Burrow does not. 

Let's just say Burrow does decline to play for the Bengals. Cincy owns his rights due to drafting him. His value has now just dropped significantly compared to what the actual #1 pick would have netted Cincy had they just traded it (kings ransom). No team is going to give up multiple 1st's for a guy they know doesn't want to be where he was drafted because they know Cincy's backs are against the wall in the matter. Cincy would probably exhaust the year with him and let him re-enter in the draft the following year. Chances are they'd probably go #1 again next year.

Bo Jackson went from #1 NFL pick, to the MLB, and then back to the NFL as a 7th round pick to the Raiders the next year. Would Burrows fall be that bad? Probably not, but he wouldn't be going #1 the following year, especially not after having sat out a year, and who knows how teams would evaluate him, and his character, after having done that. 

Regardless, I don't see it happening as Burrow would be back home playing in his home state where he is loved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Everything I have read is that Oregon offense holds him back

Sorry, but I'm not buying this. To me, this is a huge red flag. You don't have a QB, that's supposedly really good, and then limit him within an offense. And the argument that Oregon doesn't have good enough weapons, is ridiculous as well. They've got 4 star guys all over the place for him. 

Either Herbert isn't that good, or the Oregon offensive coaching staff is completely mental. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Sorry, but I'm not buying this. To me, this is a huge red flag. You don't have a QB, that's supposedly really good, and then limit him within an offense. And the argument that Oregon doesn't have good enough weapons, is ridiculous as well. They've got 4 star guys all over the place for him. 

Either Herbert isn't that good, or the Oregon offensive coaching staff is completely mental. 

An offense can limit a QB at the collegiate level. The job of a college coaching staff isn’t to develop guys for the NFL or help them showcase their talents. It’s to win football games and championships. Programs run the schemes that they think will make them successful. This is why you CFB is filled with spread offenses, no huddles, DBs that can’t backpedal, position-less Players, etc...

The Oregon offense asks the QB the throw a lot of screens, read option, and one read stuff. They don’t ask the QB to get under center, drop back, read the field, and then throw the ball accurately 35 times a game. That’s not Herbert’s fault. He’s shown that when they need him to do more he can, but that’s rare. The offense 100% held him back.

Also he doesn’t have weapons. Not the ones that Tua, Burrow, And Fields have. None of those receivers will be drafted and historically, Oregon doesn’t produce great receivers. This year is no different. The best receiver he played with was Dillon Mitchell last year and he was a 7th round pick.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 6:29 PM, RollerColt said:

Herbert has been good and has the NFL caliber arm. 

My only worry, and this is extremely stupid, is that I have a nagging worry that he’ll become another Mariota. That’s my gut feeling that has absolutely nothing to do with facts and statistics. 

I don't see the Mariota comparisons at all other than they both went to Oregon. Mariota was the victim of poor coaching and bad development. Herbert is much better mobile Quarterback than Mariota ever was. 

4 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I don't see the Mariota comparisons at all other than they both went to Oregon. Mariota was the victim of poor coaching and bad development. Herbert is much better mobile Quarterback than Mariota ever was. 

You’re absolutely right. Herbert is much different, and if he were to come here I would like to think that he’d have a stable system of coaching behind him. I’ve just got a weird, stupid, superstitious type of thing going on. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

A lot of folks on this board were with me on the Herbert express. I get the Buckner deal, which we later pulled off. It made sense. But wow! How different would the Colts have been over the past few years, had we moved up and taken Herbert?

It took me forever to dig this thread back up. A lot of folks hit on Herbert too. I only remembered it being a few, but there were many with me on this. Some excellent back and forth’s in this old thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

A lot of folks on this board were with me on the Herbert express. I get the Buckner deal, which we later pulled off. It made sense. But wow! How different would the Colts have been over the past few years, had we moved up and taken Herbert?

It took me forever to dig this thread back up. A lot of folks hit on Herbert too. I only remembered it being a few, but there were many with me on this. Some excellent back and forth’s in this old thread. 

I was hoping some miracle would happen back then and we’d get him in that draft. Oh well. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

You had some great takes in this thread 3 years ago. :cheers:

Man I was so loopy too. Checking the time stamps I noticed that was right around the time I was in and out of the hospital with a “mystery virus”. In hindsight I know what that turned out to be…

I spent a lot of sleepless nights reading this forum and wondering what if on these kids… and now look at them, three years later. Amazing how fast time goes by… my son wasn’t even a year old at that point. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 8:21 AM, BlueShoe said:

Herbert was one of my favorite prospects in that class

Can only wonder what would've happened if he ended up in Colts blue

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:21 AM, BlueShoe said:

Good call bro. 

Calls like this make me chuckle when some say that fans/posters don't know jack compared to the experts(GM's).

As far as me, I wasn't that high on Herbert. I thought Ballard would maybe draft Love, who I didn't know much about.