Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6 years 90 million for Zeke

runthepost

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Yes. You need a good running game, not a great running back.

Think about this most great running backs also impact the passing game. CMC, Saquan, Zeke, Gurley and Bell. These guys can easily rack up 60 plus receptions ( CMC had 107 receptions) and line up like a receiver and help pick up blitzing defenders. The best running backs aren’t strictly running backs 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Think about this most great running backs also impact the passing game. CMC, Saquan, Zeke, Gurley and Bell. These guys can easily rack up 60 plus receptions ( CMC had 107 receptions) and line up like a receiver and help pick up blitzing defenders. The best running backs aren’t strictly running backs 

That's a good point. I simply prefer the committee approach of the Patriots. Eagles, and even the Colts with Rhodes and Addai. It's been a long time since a great running back won a super bowl, if my memory is correct (it frequently isn't).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Gurley is damaged goods now, I would easily put Alvin Kamara over him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Now Melvin Gordon has some bargaining power.

I disagree, Melvin has one year on his contract left, and the Chargers already said they weren't signing him for a lesser amount. They are open to a trade, but teams would have to give up pick(s), and sign him to a long-term deal. He's somewhat injury-prone, and he's only had one great year. IMO, he'll holdout all season because he'll expect Zeke money now and be disappointed when he doesn't receive it.

Yes too much for a RB.  

So much is dependent upon OL and you take a mid-range vet RB getting paid 4 or 5M per year, the amount of value that a Zeke or a Gurley gives you over that mid range RB isn't that much.  Certainly not enough value to justify 3 times higher pay.  

Then you have to add in that your RB might not make it through that entire deal because of injuries and the pounding.  

Last year Zeke ran for 4.7 yards per carry.  You know who else ran for 4.7 yards per carry last year?  Marlon Mack

For the record I'm not saying that Mack is as good as Zeke or that there wouldn't be advantages to having Zeke on the field.  What I am saying is that it's unlikely that the advantages to having Zeke on the field would warrant 3 times higher pay.  (I'm presuming that Mack would get about 5 Mil if he signed a new contract.)

Quite frankly the advantages to having an elite QB vs average, elite pass rusher vs. an average, an elite OL vs average, an elite, an elite LB vs. average, an elite DB vs average and an elite receiver or TE vs. average are all much much greater.  

And part of the issue quite frankly is that due to lack of scarcity of average RB's the pay differential in terms of percentages between a average vet RB and a elite vet RB is probably the largest of all of the positions in the NFL.  

Elite RB's get paid too much because of psychology.  People see them on the field for all 3 downs, know they are elite and think they deserve big money.  But does an average RB ask for 10M per year?  No.  Because the response to that would be that the GM can find your replacement in the 4th round of the draft and have them play for 4 years on a peanut contract.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, coltsva said:

That's a good point. I simply prefer the committee approach of the Patriots. Eagles, and even the Colts with Rhodes and Addai. It's been a long time since a great running back won a super bowl, if my memory is correct (it frequently isn't).

To be fair Gurley came close last year.  

But also to be fair I believe that would still be an outlier.  

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

not that long, Marshawn lynch.

As long as he stays healthy he's worth it, but that's a big if with that position. Gordon has NO additional power, the Charger gave him permission to seek a trade, but nobody stepped up to talk. The Chargers offered him 10 million a year and he turned it down, they now said they'll only give him what his contract says which is 5.7 million.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

As long as he stays healthy he's worth it, but that's a big if with that position. Gordon has NO additional power, the Charger gave him permission to seek a trade, but nobody stepped up to talk. The Chargers offered him 10 million a year and he turned it down, they now said they'll only give him what his contract says which is 5.7 million.

Wonder if he regrets that

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Wonder if he regrets that

Le'Veon Bell does too, he got less money than with the Steelers. Plus the fact that he would have won more games. 

$10 mil. per year is not that much though in terms of comparable RB market values, and if that is the case, chances are Chargers are not franchise tagging him. 

18 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

They need him. It's not like Dak is going to carry that team. 

Amen to that. I get so sick & tired of Skip Bayless going on & on about how great Prescott is. 

Dak is a nice kid & all, but does he scare me down a TD with say 45 seconds in regulation left? Nope. Not one bit. Preach my brother; preach. 

• Like 1