Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett & future QB Backup

ThorstenDenmark

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Any scenario?  You mean real or imagined?  Like the real one of getting him ready to play if necessary.?  And the imagined one that they are putting him out there for other teams to see?  Because that is 10000% not what they are doing with Brissett. 

I hate it when people call me out for being dumb after they fail to comprehend what I wrote.

Hey genius. The FO could be slow walking Luck's return.  And they could be doing that for the following reasons (either, or both):

The common, unthoughtful idea that it gets Brissett more prepared for the season should Luck miss a few games. 

The uncommon but thoughtful idea that if Brissett plays lights out during the preseason by getting more practice reps with the ones than he has ever done in the past (under the current coaches), the Colts will be better prepared than ever to entertain offers...especially if another team's QB gets injured in preseason. 

Using the word "showcase" to describe that complex thought is appropriate.   And it could be a reason for slow-walking Luck's return.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

How much money would it take keep JB as a long term "backup" QB???

I know, I know... He deserves a chance to be a full time starter!

but ya know... Good money for your family and job security for a good 4-5 years??  He seems to be the prototypical "TEAM GUY" 

So how much???

I think Superman was the first to suggest a reasonable idea that might be fair...

3 years/20 Mill.    So, nearly $7 Mill per.....     that's a decent offer for a quality back-up.   It's not the highest,  but it's among the highest....   I certainly think an offer like that would get serious consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Superman was the first to suggest a reasonable idea that might be fair...

3 years/20 Mill.    So, nearly $7 Mill per.....     that's a decent offer for a quality back-up.   It's not the highest,  but it's among the highest....   I certainly think an offer like that would get serious consideration.

Yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that if he's not getting starter offers; for the right price he might find staying with Indy not a bad proposition... with what is happening with the Colts presently it could lead to a ring or two.

just speculation on my part 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And IMO those are fair numbers for what JB is.... a very good backup QB capable of keeping us afloat for a 3-4 week stretch if necessary.

What he is NOT is a sure fire, penciled in Day 1 starting QB for any NFL team whether they be a prospective trade partner or the beneficiary of him walking in free agency.

So the window, IF there ever really was one, in which a 2nd round pick was available in a trade for JB.... has closed.

I hope we can sign Jacoby and keep him in the $6-8m per season range.

And Kelly, who unfortunately is an unknown and needs to earn trust thanks to his extracurricular nonsense, can compete for the #3 spot.

• Like 1