Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JJ Arcega-Whiteside

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The other guy that comes close is Andy Isabella, who is projected more as a slot guy at the next level. However, I sometimes wonder how much the outside WR is going to be as important in our system with Reich moving them all over the field and using multiple TEs.  I felt, a possession guy like Inman, a reliable one at that, fit in just fine when Ryan Grant couldn't produce. So, how badly do we truly need that outside guy if we can just draft one that gets open consistently, even if he is in the slot??? It does make me wonder.

Deebo would line up anywhere too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Deebo would line up anywhere too.

True. But Deebo would probably cost us a 1st round pick or a top of 2nd round pick while Andy Isabella might be had with our later 2nd round pick or even 3rd rounder though his combine and Senior Bowl might vault him into round 2. 

Not everyone is New England, plus NE got its WRs through free agency a lot of times (Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Chris Hogan etc.) that it rarely spent 1st or 2nd round capital on WRs though they did draft guys like Deion Branch and Chad Jackson as 2nd rounders. They did spend 1st and 2nd round capital on RBs far more. That is the argument fans make for not drafting a WR in the first 2 rounds often, that is what I am referring to here, which I feel is short sighted without evaluating the whole picture. Seattle gave up a boat load of picks for Tyler Lockett (#3, #4, #5, #6) to move up in the 3rd round. 

It is all up to Ballard's willingness to pony up a high enough draft pick for an offensive play maker. Sure would be nice to have an extra 2nd rounder to get another key player while filling holes on defense too.

43 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. But Deebo would probably cost us a 1st round pick or a top of 2nd round pick while Andy Isabella might be had with our later 2nd round pick or even 3rd rounder though his combine and Senior Bowl might vault him into round 2. 

Not everyone is New England, plus NE got its WRs through free agency a lot of times (Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Chris Hogan etc.) that it rarely spent 1st or 2nd round capital on WRs though they did draft guys like Deion Branch and Chad Jackson as 2nd rounders. They did spend 1st and 2nd round capital on RBs far more. That is the argument fans make for not drafting a WR in the first 2 rounds often, that is what I am referring to here, which I feel is short sighted without evaluating the whole picture. Seattle gave up a boat load of picks for Tyler Lockett (#3, #4, #5, #6) to move up in the 3rd round. 

It is all up to Ballard's willingness to pony up a high enough draft pick for an offensive play maker. Sure would be nice to have an extra 2nd rounder to get another key player while filling holes on defense too.

I'm not advocating drafting Deebo at 26 at this point.  I just think he'll go in round 1 given how Edelman dominated the SB.  He'll probably kill the combine in terms of athleticism.

But if he's a "generational" athlete who can catch, maybe you draft him anyway.  We had that generational tag on a G we picked at 6, so why not a guy who can juke open every time at 26.

We needed a G, and took a generational one at 6.  We need a WR and a playmaker on offense, so why not take both in one guy at 26.  Not advocating, but its a thought.

This has morphed away from discussing JJAW, and maybe appropriately so. I will stick with my theory that he could be a great receiving TE at 15-20 lbs heavier. 

The Board is pretty fixated on Defense the first two-three picks. But a difference maker at WR would be huge. I'm looking for one in round 2. Butler at 34? I would be very happy. 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm not advocating drafting Deebo at 26 at this point.  I just think he'll go in round 1 given how Edelman dominated the SB.  He'll probably kill the combine in terms of athleticism.

But if he's a "generational" athlete who can catch, maybe you draft him anyway.  We had that generational tag on a G we picked at 6, so why not a guy who can juke open every time at 26.

We needed a G, and took a generational one at 6.  We need a WR and a playmaker on offense, so why not take both in one guy at 26.  Not advocating, but its a thought.

Generational athlete, not sure about that. Julio Jones, yeah, he is a rare kind. Randy Moss, he was a rare kind. But then "generational athlete" in the wrong system can go to waste. 

I think we are just fresh from the Edelman onslaught that we forget he has had DCs scheme well enough against him. Still, only 3 third downs were converted the entire game by both teams in the SB. Most of Edelman's damage came before 3rd downs. 

I will believe it when I see it, Ballard choosing a WR in the first 36 picks. :) 

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

Generational athlete, not sure about that. Julio Jones, yeah, he is a rare kind. Randy Moss, he was a rare kind. But then "generational athlete" in the wrong system can go to waste. 

I think we are just fresh from the Edelman onslaught that we forget he has had DCs scheme well enough against him. Still, only 3 third downs were converted the entire game by both teams in the SB. Most of Edelman's damage came before 3rd downs. 

I will believe it when I see it, Ballard choosing a WR in the first 36 picks. :) 

It depends on who is expected to be there at 34 and 59.  If there is separation in the DT/EDGE group where the really good ones are already gone by 26 and there is a second group where they all have the same talent level and some are expected to be there through pick 59, then I could see a GM taking the one player that clearly stands out from the rest at 26, regardless of position (within reason).  Since CB wants to upgrade the receiving corps too, I could see a situation where a WR would be taken at 26.  Not that Deebo or any particular WR fits that description at this time.

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I don't think Edelman's performance in the SB is changing how teams build their rosters. We've known for a long time that Edelman is a really good player, and why. We also know that players with his traits are available throughout the draft, so rushing to find 'the next Edelman' isn't going to change anyone's draft board. At least, it shouldn't.

• Like 1