Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Namath's Gauarantee Is Fifity Years Old

King Colt

Hate to open old wounds, but we all know Morrall threw that game, right?  Killed the opening drive, when Matte was running down the field like they were playing a high school team.

And that play that @The Old Crow mentioned was run flawlessly a few weeks before.  Same exact play and Morrall “lost him in the band”???  Give me a break.  He killed three drives that way.  

The old old guys let the truth slip out now and then, but the NFL will never admit it was shady. 

My theory is that Morrall was paid to keep it close, there was a huge spread.  He just did too good of a job of it.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Hate to open old wounds, but we all know Morrall threw that game, right?  Killed the opening drive, when Matte was running down the field like they were playing a high school team.

And that play that @The Old Crow mentioned was run flawlessly a few weeks before.  Same exact play and Morrall “lost him in the band”???  Give me a break.  He killed three drives that way.  

The old old guys let the truth slip out now and then, but the NFL will never admit it was shady. 

My theory is that Morrall was paid to keep it close, there was a huge spread.  He just did too good of a job of it.  

I know Bubba Smith was a big proponent of the throwing the game theory. If you ever watch the first half of that game, we should have been ahead like 20-0. Morrall was dreadful, although he was the 1968 league MVP .

This loss basically caused Shula to get run out of town by Rosenbloom, and had him land in Miami. Although we won Super Bowl V under Don McCafferty , it wasn’t the best move for the Colts losing Shula. Rosenbloom was also still steaming from the 27-0 loss to the Browns in the 1964 NFL Championship game, the 1965 bad FG call against the Packers, the missing the playoffs in 1967 after going 11-1-2, and losing a tiebreaker to the Rams. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Doesn't bother me at all.  That wasn't my Colts team.   I'm an Indianapolis Colts fan.  

I’m a Ravens fan , but it still bothers me. Probably my most painful loss as a fan because it never should have happened. Right up there with the Orioles losing to the Mets in the 1969 World Series. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

I guarantee we win Super Bowl 54.

Every SB we play in is in Miami

SB 54 is in Miami...

Next year...:lombardi:

How about that for a guarantee! 

Actually that prediction isn't far fetched if Luck stays healthy and Ballard nails another Draft. I thought we would be ready in the 2020 Season which would be SB 55 but because we are now ahead of schedule, who knows? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

What would have happened if Shula would have pulled Morrall earlier , and put in Unitas ? Jimmy Orr is still waiting with his hands up in the end zone ! 

What if? What if the Colts scored  kagillion-billion points that day?:banana:

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

I’m a Ravens fan , but it still bothers me. Probably my most painful loss as a fan because it never should have happened. Right up there with the Orioles losing to the Mets in the 1969 World Series. 

It's good to know there is a fan that stays true to his city. I love that documentary about the Colts marching band. Living in Houston when the Oilers left town was telling. I saw many people cry including men. This town worshipped their Oilers and Bum Philips.

50 minutes ago, King Colt said:

They will always be the Baltimore Colts to me in part because Unitas said he has never been to Indianapolis and will never go there and he was my childhood hero above even Superman and the Lone Ranger. 

Actually what Unitas said really disappointed me. At that point as a Colts fan I was ok with just counting our accomplishments that we would have in Indy and that was before we even won a SB. Peyton idolized him. I thought what he said was disrespectful and Peyton was better anyway, that is my take. If you just take what we have accomplished in Indy, it has still been a Very Good if not Great franchise:

From 1984-2018

1 SB win (2006), we have been a Champion in Indy!

2 SB appearances

5 AFC Title Game appearances, that is Very Good

18 Playoff appearances, 18 times in 35 seasons, over 50%

QB's we have had = Harbaugh, Peyton, and Luck

RB's we have had = Dickerson, Faulk, Edge

WR's we have had = Marv, Reggie, Hilton

-I am fine with just Indy history if Baltimore wants it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually that prediction isn't far fetched if Luck stays healthy and Ballard nails another Draft. I thought we would be ready in the 2020 Season which would be SB 55 but because we are now ahead of schedule, who knows? 

We can  at least say every Colts SB is in Florida since 55 is in Tampa Bay.

6 hours ago, King Colt said:

It's good to know there is a fan that stays true to his city. I love that documentary about the Colts marching band. Living in Houston when the Oilers left town was telling. I saw many people cry including men. This town worshipped their Oilers and Bum Philips.

There was a long time when I was angry. However , I’ve been to Indy, great people , great fans, great legacy with the Indy Colts 1984- present. 

You guys would probably be like me if you were a native of Indiana and if the Colts moved to LA or something. If another team came to Indy, you would support them. People outside Indy would follow the horseshoe to the next city. It’s not a 100 % rule, but that would be the general pattern. You would still have great memories of the 2006 Super Bowl, 2009 Super Bowl , Manning, Luck , and all the Division Championships. It’s part of your DNA, but business is what it is.  We were lucky the Ravens were another good era of football like the Baltimore Colts. It just comes down to individuals and good memories. Plenty to go around. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually what Unitas said really disappointed me. At that point as a Colts fan I was ok with just counting our accomplishments that we would have in Indy and that was before we even won a SB. Peyton idolized him. I thought what he said was disrespectful and Peyton was better anyway, that is my take. If you just take what we have accomplished in Indy, it has still been a Very Good if not Great franchise:

From 1984-2018

2 SB appearances

Jim will never give up the Baltimore Colts history. Like you, many younger people in Baltimore only care about the Ravens. For us older fans, we all like the history of the old Baltimore Colts . I would like nothing better than the old history and banners displayed in both Baltimore and Indy. As you pointed out , both Indy and the current Ravens have their own great history . 

A lot of time has now passed, and we are talking about great NFL history that is currently in mothballs. Meanwhile , we both hate our common enemy , the Shifty Patriots !!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Jim will never give up the Baltimore Colts history. Like you, many younger people in Baltimore only care about the Ravens. For us older fans, we all like the history of the old Baltimore Colts . I would like nothing better than the old history and banners displayed in both Baltimore and Indy. As you pointed out , both Indy and the current Ravens have their own great history . 

A lot of time has now passed, and we are talking about great NFL history that is currently in mothballs. Meanwhile , we both hate our common enemy , the Shifty Patriots !!!! 

Not just the Colts- I wish every team that moved left their name and history and started fresh. Like when the Baltimore Orioles became the N.Y. Highlanders, and then the Yankees.....   The St Louis Browns became the Orioles, and the Cleveland Browns became the Ravens.  And the Chicago Zephers became the Baltimore Bullets- named after the Bata Bullet tennis shoe.  With Bobby Slick Leonard as the Bullet's coach.

8 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I agree, Jim will never give up the Baltimore accomplishments and I am ok either way. Heck yeah I would root for the Ravens if they played the Patriots :thmup:

8 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Not just the Colts- I wish every team that moved left their name and history and started fresh. Like when the Baltimore Orioles became the N.Y. Highlanders, and then the Yankees.....   The St Louis Browns became the Orioles, and the Cleveland Browns became the Ravens.  And the Chicago Zephers became the Baltimore Bullets- named after the Bata Bullet tennis shoe.  With Bobby Slick Leonard as the Bullet's coach.

Its always cleaner when a team moves to leave the logos and records behind. We still have the old St Louis Brown records mixed in with the Orioles , which always bothers me. I just don’t feel any connection to the 1944 American League Champion Browns. 

Also, if the Ravens would have gotten the Browns logos and records, should I now be happy with the 1964 Championship game , that the team we rooted for, the Colts , lost to the Browns ? It could have gotten sticky. 

I think the tough thing, besides the fans memories, is much of the old history from the other city gets forgotten. It’s kind of natural because for younger fans, they have no connection to something that happened in an earlier time, in another city. As the old Baltimore Colts history is so rich, it’s a shame, because they were pivotal in two of the biggest games in NFL history. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

From 1984-2018

2 SB appearances

On the Unitas deal, to put some context to it. NFL football in the 1950’s and 60’s are totally different then today. These guys didn’t make much money, and in the off season had to get jobs. Art Donovan was a liquor salesman , and Unitas, Ameche, and Marchetti worked at Bethlehem Steel. So these guys were really part of the community and hung out at local bars and hung out with the locals. There was a real love affair between Baltimore and the Colts, as you can see in the movie Diner. After they beat the Giants in 58, 30,000 people showed up at Friendship Airport, now BWI. That just didn’t happen in those days. So understand, John loved Baltimore, and Baltimore loved John and all those old players. That exists to this day for those that understand history. That is why there is a statue at M & T Bank stadium of Unitas, and he, and the other Hall of Famers are in the Ravens Ring of Honor. 

Fast forward to 1972.  Bob Irsay and Joe Thomas talked to Unitas about trading him. John said that was fine, but please let him know what teams they were considering trading him to. He deserved that   For all he did. Instead , Irsay and Thomas just traded John to San Diego without telling him. John was an honorable man of his word, and he never forgave Bob Irsay. 

My point is, John never disliked the fans or city of Indianapolis. He didn’t come because he was loyal to Baltimore, and was upset with Bob Irsay . John died in 2002, but had he lived longer, maybe he would have ventured out to Indy as time passed. He would have still been a big part of the Ravens, but who knows what may have happened. Anyway, as an Indy fan, just understand the context of Unitas. Peyton Manning was very much like Johnny, and he was right to idolize him. Two quarterbacks that did things the right way on and off the field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

On the Unitas deal, to put some context to it. NFL football in the 1950’s and 60’s are totally different then today. These guys didn’t make much money, and in the off season had to get jobs. Art Donovan was a liquor salesman , and Unitas, Ameche, and Marchetti worked at Bethlehem Steel. So these guys were really part of the community and hung out at local bars and hung out with the locals. There was a real love affair between Baltimore and the Colts, as you can see in the movie Diner. After they beat the Giants in 58, 30,000 people showed up at Friendship Airport, now BWI. That just didn’t happen in those days. So understand, John loved Baltimore, and Baltimore loved John and all those old players. That exists to this day for those that understand history. That is why there is a statue at M & T Bank stadium of Unitas, and he, and the other Hall of Famers are in the Ravens Ring of Honor. 

Fast forward to 1972.  Bob Irsay and Joe Thomas talked to Unitas about trading him. John said that was fine, but please let him know what teams they were considering trading him to. He deserved that   For all he did. Instead , Irsay and Thomas just traded John to San Diego without telling him. John was an honorable man of his word, and he never forgave Bob Irsay. 

My point is, John never disliked the fans or city of Indianapolis. He didn’t come because he was loyal to Baltimore, and was upset with Bob Irsay . John died in 2002, but had he lived longer, maybe he would have ventured out to Indy as time passed. He would have still been a big part of the Ravens, but who knows what may have happened. Anyway, as an Indy fan, just understand the context of Unitas. Peyton Manning was very much like Johnny, and he was right to idolize him. Two quarterbacks that did things the right way on and off the field. 

I didn't dislike Unitas, I just didn't like what I said. I understand it though. He was the best QB of his generation and glad he was a Colt. Unfortunately Jim Irsay gets blamed alot for what his dad did or some look at Jim and assume he is like his dad was. He is nothing like his dad and is a great owner.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I didn't dislike Unitas, I just didn't like what I said. I understand it though. He was the best QB of his generation and glad he was a Colt. Unfortunately Jim Irsay gets blamed alot for what his dad did or some look at Jim and assume he is like his dad was. He is nothing like his dad and is a great owner.

I think the Baltimore angst about the move crested in 2006, and pretty much died down after the Ravens second  Super Bowl  win in 2013. Like you guys, we are preoccupied with the Patriots, and also the Steelers. 

I think Jim did get a lot of blame for Bob, but that has also died down. I know Bruce Laird and many of the 1970’s Colts speak highly of Jim. 

In the context of time passing, and emotions dying down , it obvious Jim is nothing like Bob for many reasons. His record as an owner is excellent , and I’ve noticed all he has done for the Indianapolis community. I understand Indy well, as I travel there a lot for business. I know the Irsay’s history very well as I’ve witnessed it since 1972. 

I think outside NFL fans make assumptions based on some of the issues Jim had in the past, and link him to Bob, but they are totally two different men. Also, the tweets created some anger, but a lot of the controversial ones were written when Jim was struggling. 

Bottom line is no one is perfect. He puts a good product on the field, and is fan friendly. You know when the Ravens came to scrimmage the Colts in Indianapolis, how much the times have changed ! 

• Like 2