Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How did the refs miss that?

RockThatBlue

4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Same rule, different interpretation. Unless I missed where there were two different rules in the book. Fault ref.

This is a different rule.

Swoope’s ruling has everything to do with whether he was out of bounds and if that resulted in the clock stopping. It has to do more with time, than yardage gained.

In your example, the player is in the field of play and has nothing to do with the refs stopping the clock.

Yes, both cases take forward momentum into consideration, but only Swoope’s has an affect on being in/out of bounds and clock stoppage.

It was not a good call, but let’s be honest here:

did it actually matter? Put 5 seconds back on the clock for a 30 yard jump ball into the end zone that would have been the same result. Jags win. 

The way our offense has been flying the last several weeks there was a lot %, and I know that word is censored, but I mean it in the truest sense, there was a lot of excrement dropped out on that field today that should have never let that last play mean a thing. 

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It was not a good call, but let’s be honest here:

did it actually matter? Put 5 seconds back on the clock for a 30 yard jump ball into the end zone that would have been the same result. Jags win. 

The way our offense has been flying the last several weeks there was a lot %, and I know that word is censored, but I mean it in the truest sense, there was a lot of excrement dropped out on that field today that should have never let that last play mean a thing. 

Yeah we probably would've had only a 25% chance to win it but that is better than the REFS totally taking it out of our hands. With Ebron, TY, and Rogers with Luck throwing it, 25% is about right. 

31 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

It's not as different interpretation is it? 

Swoope simply didn't have an opportunity to get his momentum going forward again because he was off his feet. 

He was going backwards and was in the air. I don't know how anyone could look at that and say he still had forward momentum before he hit the floor out of bounds?

Because he was still moving to the sideline, an action he initiated.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we probably would've had only a 25% chance to win it but that is better than the REFS totally taking it out of our hands. With Ebron, TY, and Rogers with Luck throwing it, 25% is about right. 

Today I wouldn’t give it a 25 at all. In fact, I’d give it less than 10. Maybe even less than 5. If we’d been making other plays and making something happen, maybe. But on a day where we came out of the gate and % the bed and rolled in it, I just can’t even be optimistic that we could make that play in that spot. 

There was 47 minutes and 55 seconds of football before that that had way more bearing than that last play and runoff. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Today I wouldn’t give it a 25 at all. In fact, I’d give it less than 10. Maybe even less than 5. If we’d been making other plays and making something happen, maybe. But on a day where we came out of the gate and % the bed and rolled in it, I just can’t even be optimistic that we could make that play in that spot. 

There was 47 minutes and 55 seconds of football before that that had way more bearing than that last play and runoff. 

Yeah I am trying to stay positive but getting shutout hurts and is shocking. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am trying to stay positive but getting shutout hurts and is shocking. 

And here’s something to keep in mind:

what would this game have looked like had the Jags done the smart thing and started Bortles, who we always make look like a pro bowler? 

Just not a or a positive day for us, at least offensively. 

37 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

This is a different rule.

Swoope’s ruling has everything to do with whether he was out of bounds and if that resulted in the clock stopping. It has to do more with time, than yardage gained.

In your example, the player is in the field of play and has nothing to do with the refs stopping the clock.

Yes, both cases take forward momentum into consideration, but only Swoope’s has an affect on being in/out of bounds and clock stoppage.

But forward progress in both examples are what’s being discussed. 

Player reaching for the touchdown after being stopped has had his forward progress halted by a defender.

Swoope was moving diagonally upfield and to the sideline by his own initiation. Ramsey stopped one but not the other.

AGAIN, all in saying is that this should have been reviewable.

Just now, John Waylon said:

And here’s something to keep in mind:

what would this game have looked like had the Jags done the smart thing and started Bortles, who we always make look like a pro bowler? 

Just not a or a positive day for us, at least offensively. 

I kind of think also we were due for a loss and to lay an egg. It happens when a team wins 5 or 6 in row. You wouldn't think it wouldve happened today against a struggling Jags team but watch next week how we play at Houston. It would not shock me at all if we knocked them off. They are due for a loss and Andrew is probably fuming right now getting shut out. Kelly may even be back too which will help the running the game.

22 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

And that’s absolutely spot on. We didn’t deserve to be in that game. But we were.

Sometimes games are won by teams that shouldn’t win them. But sometimes they make just one more play than the other team.

What a number of fans are saying here is that it was wrong to take away that chance, however small.

I said it before but it bears repeating; two things can be true at once: Colts offense played like crap and the refs botched the call at the end, or at least it should be reviewable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Swoope was clearly out of bounds, however, I believe the rule is that the player's momentum must also be moving forward for the clock to stop. In the replay, you can see that Swoope was absolutely blasted by Ramsey and he was going backwards. Yes, he was out of bounds, but his momentum was going backwards, and for that reason, the clock was not stopped.

It's a stupid rule, but called correctly on the field.

5 hours ago, Turftoe said:

I was not aware that that is the rule.  I am going to pay attention in future games to see if it is called that way (my guess is it won't be). Not disputing what you say, just haven't seen that call before.

It is a rule, but in this case, while his  forward progress was stopped and the player was technically in bounds, he was not on the ground; he was airborne and subsequently landed out of  bounds.  Thus, he was not truly stopped in the field of play.  He was stopped when he landed out of bounds and the clock should have stopped, or reset to 5 seconds for one last play. But, it is what it is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

REFS were garbage today. Much like the Philly game where we had every critical go against us. Hats off to Ramsey and his D though, they did a great job vs Andrew.

without Ramsey in that game, I'm not so sure we wouldn't have won. He was a wrecking crew out there.