Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Under the Radar Prospects

By now , most of us are aware of Ed Oliver , Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams and all the other big name prospects headlining the 2019 draft. But I'm wondering if there's been some guys other guys that may have got your eye. 

This is really open for any interpretation. For me, I'm looking at prospects that are not only a little less talked about , but would fit what I think the Colts are trying to build schematically and culturally. 

DE Jalen Jelks , 6' 6" 244, Oregon 

Why he's a little under the radar: often used as an interior DL , and in my opinion , miscast in that role. Production isn't where it could/should be this season and has struggled against top competition. Has a bit of a tweener body, and would need to bulk up to play DE in the NFL , imo.

Here's a great article on how he was utilized prior to this season:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/16/jalen-jelks-unlocking-a-miscast-blue-chipper/

Why he's a fit for the Colts (imo):

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/05/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-jalen-jelks/

The traits and the character/work ethic speaks for itself. In the right scheme , with the right coaching , I think he could become pretty damn good. Unlike a lot of project EDGE players , Jelks is great against the run , so he wouldn't be a liability whilst refining his pass-rushing craft. His basement gives him a role immediately, and his ceiling is pretty tantalizing.

Who are some players you guys think would be a good fit for the Colts , that perhaps aren't getting a ton of hype?

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

Not sure if technically under the radar but Josh Allen the Edge from Kentucky will rise up the charts before all is said and done. 6-5 listed at 260, 12 sacks so far this season in the SEC.

Allen has a very good shot at being a top ten pick, so I don't think he's flying under any radars. You have to think every team could use a guy like him. I would gladly welcome him to the Colts family. 

The Qb from Stanford, Costello, would be another under the radar player.  I read several positive comments in articles about him before the season.  The couple of times I have seen him he has been up and down, but he has good size and a good arm.  There are a few Standard fans on this board that probably would be better able to say how good Costello might be. 

#23 Tranquill is generally all over the place and appears to tackle well. I’m a casual observer when it comes to which player is talented at all the skill sets needed to jump into the nfl and succeed but over the year, #23 always seems to flash on the screen. 

#27 Love also appears to be a very solid tackler, at least he stood out to me in that regard last night against USC. That could have been because everyone else appeared to not understand tackling concepts pretty much. I’m not sure where these two kids rate into the NFL but they were guys I thought had descent years, mainly Tranquill and his game. Tranquill is listed as a lb’er but only at 233 pounds and 6-2 and I’m not sure about speed and athleticism etc... I just always seem to notice this kid when I watch the Irish games. 

Whats the assessment on the two, mainly for Tranquill?

10 hours ago, Jdubu said:

#23 Tranquill is generally all over the place and appears to tackle well. I’m a casual observer when it comes to which player is talented at all the skill sets needed to jump into the nfl and succeed but over the year, #23 always seems to flash on the screen. 

#27 Love also appears to be a very solid tackler, at least he stood out to me in that regard last night against USC. That could have been because everyone else appeared to not understand tackling concepts pretty much. I’m not sure where these two kids rate into the NFL but they were guys I thought had descent years, mainly Tranquill and his game. Tranquill is listed as a lb’er but only at 233 pounds and 6-2 and I’m not sure about speed and athleticism etc... I just always seem to notice this kid when I watch the Irish games. 

Whats the assessment on the two, mainly for Tranquill?

I'm a ND fan, and love Tranquil, but there's no way he'd stay healthy given the Colt's history with injuries.... the guy is duct taped together as is now at ND.... 

• Like 1