Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard OLB or ILB?

Luca_Colts

28 minutes ago, Luca_Colts said:

I thought Leonard was an ILB but all source list him as OLB, I might have confunded since we don’t blitz a lot. I just wanted to know what exact position does he play?

OLB, W makes the majority of tackles in this defense.  He's not an ILB although in certain alignments (nickle) it may look like he's playing in the middle but that's due to personnel on the field, 5 DB's and 2 LB's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luca_Colts said:

I thought Leonard was an ILB but all source list him as OLB, I might have confunded since we don’t blitz a lot. I just wanted to know what exact position does he play?

He is, as the others have said, a WILL backer. However, if you are asking why he isn’t blitzing, the current defensive scheme is set so the linebackers don’t blitz as much, and instead the designated EDGE rushers are mainly defensive ends, not linebackers. Of course, linebackers will still blitz, but their task in a 4-3 is more run stopping and pass coverage than pass rushing normally. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

He is, as the others have said, a WILL backer. However, if you are asking why he isn’t blitzing, the current defensive scheme is set so the linebackers don’t blitz as much, and instead the designated EDGE rushers are mainly defensive ends, not linebackers. Of course, linebackers will still blitz, but their task in a 4-3 is more run stopping and pass coverage than pass rushing normally. 

Colts need to send Leonard on more blitzes. 

SEND IT! 

• Like 2

Kind of misnomer labels anymore.

He's an off ball / stack linebacker. In base and nickel, he lines up behind the 3 tech, toward the weak side of the formation. So he's our weakside, or WILL backer. 

In this defense, the difference between ILB and OLB is very technical.