Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Calls For Lowering The Helmet In Week One

King Colt

What?  The new rule, including an ejection was called in the Colts game!

New rule-

“It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent.

“Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified.

I have no doubt the officials in New York beeped in to tell the Ref that Williams needed to be disqualified for it as well, likely as the on field officials were discussing it.  NY can do that now for this rule.

EDIT: further review, you may be right.  However, NY did weigh in for the ejection-

They just ejected Shawn Williams. New York chimed in. Wow.

— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) September 9, 2018

But on field it was just called unnecessary roughness, and NY can't change the ruling/call, but can disqualify a player at their discretion, even if the field official do not. 

So, technically, I guess you are correct, but in spirit, it was not and appropriate action was taken.

I believe Art Rooney ( II ) hoped it would only be called 1-2 times all weekend.  He might be on track, and players seem to be less inclined to torpedo themselves for the time being.

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

What?  The new rule, including an ejection was called in the Colts game!

New rule-

“It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent.

“Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified.

I have no doubt the officials in New York beeped in to tell the Ref that Williams needed to be disqualified for it as well, likely as the on field officials were discussing it.  NY can do that now for this rule.

EDIT: further review, you may be right.  However, NY did weigh in for the ejection-

They just ejected Shawn Williams. New York chimed in. Wow.

— Paul Dehner Jr. (@pauldehnerjr) September 9, 2018

But on field it was just called unnecessary roughness, and NY can't change the ruling/call, but can disqualify a player at their discretion, even if the field official do not. 

So, technically, I guess you are correct, but in spirit, it was not and appropriate action was taken.

I believe Art Rooney ( II ) hoped it would only be called 1-2 times all weekend.  He might be on track, and players seem to be less inclined to torpedo themselves for the time being.

He is correct no lowering the helmet penalty. The one that the guy was called on is an old rule. The ejection with help is a new thing. The NFL changed this year to allow refs to talk to and decided if a hit was dirty. Like you said in your edit

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

He is correct no lowering the helmet penalty. The one that the guy was called on is an old rule. The ejection with help is a new thing. The NFL changed this year to allow refs to talk to and decided if a hit was dirty. Like you said in your edit

What was this one called as?

seems peeps will say it wasn't called for targeting, etc... , but it is plays like this and the other one that birthed the new rule...

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

What was this one called as?

seems peeps will say it wasn't called for targeting, etc... , but it is plays like this and the other one that birthed the new rule...

This got called defenseless receiver. yes it could have been targeting but even last year it was a penalty as defenseless since TY didnt make any form of move

Other than the hit on Andrew there wasn't any plays I seen where a call was made.

All the yellow flags we seen in pre-season did make the coaches emphasize to the players not hurt their teams by drawing those types of flags and or getting disqualified. A lot of fans thought we would see a bunch called in the first games of the regular season but the lack of yellow evidently worked in sending a statement that it would not be tolerated.

What I did notice was better technique in tackling throughout the games.

What we didn't see was a bunch of flag happy refs slowing the games down.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

No not wrong.    It was a point of emphasis in every camp

Yep. If the NFL makes something a point of emphasis you can bet the coaches make it one during training camp...even to go so far as the NFL will send refs around to the camps.

I remember after the 5 yard chuck rule POA BB was seen saying to the players in camp "come on guys, pulling on the jerseys is exactly what they'll be looking at".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

Wrong.

Not wrong. Senior officials from the league went to camps and showed videos of plays that used to go without a penalty flag that are now violations. A copy of this was at every camp this year at some point.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000933867/Al-Riveron-explains-the-new-lowering-of-helmet-rule

The reason is this-

"The new rule addresses a sobering statistic released by the NFL last season. Players suffered more concussions in 2017 than in each of the previous five seasons. There were 281 concussions and head injuries suffered in regular season, preseason games and practice, an increase of 15.6 percent over the average of the previous five seasons."

And not just schooling players, but their own refs as well-

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article216001465.html

Another new rule is a defensive player pile driving a QB into the ground; especially once the ball is out of the QB's hand. No longer allowed.  A player must show enough effort to a ref to try to 'roll off' the QB immediately as or just after they hit the ground, or they may well draw a flag.

These are in addition to unnecessary roughness and personal foul penalties on defenseless players already on the books.  Refs have always had ability to eject players for these if severe, but was rarely, if ever, done.  Now the League VP of officiating and his crew in New York can 'beep in' and eject a player from a game, in real time.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/bengals-colts-penalties-nfl-tackling-helmet-rule-video-hits-andrew-luck-ejection

To call these points of emphasis is even an understatement, IMHO.