Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I will say this about Ballard to make everyone feel better

Although there were some controversial picks last night, at least they were that way in the way where he stuck to his word and drafted according to his word. He hasn't once waivered on building through the trenches, and this draft is indicative of that. I respect the way he drafted last night with some possible "reaches" to get his guys that he felt would help the team and are nice scheme fits rather than a complete panic that Hernandez went and others, so completely abandon the plan at those positions.

He bit the bullet, took Braden Smith and got his last starting G, got his best LB, and built the D-Line last night with his guys. It may not be a BPA draft, but it was his own personal draft that allowed us to fix the team in his image, and he didn't panic, and got his guys instead of losing them. Sometimes you have to grab your guys instead of playing the cat and mouse game of giving an inch and hoping you can squeeze the value out of it. We would regret it much more if we got burned later on. Fantasy Football players know this and grab their guy early a lot instead of waiting an extra round, and usually it's the right move. Ballard did it for real, and it would of been ugly if we lost Smith and especially Leonard.

Hope this makes you feel better about our picks, and lets enjoy day 3!

• Like 3

Well, I like the picks.  I will say this, that I'm sticking to my view that we should have traded out of 6 and got picks 53 and 56.  Gs were overdrafted yesterday.  When that happens, the Colts overdrafting a G is understandable.  

We could have overdrafted Ragnow or Wynn at 12 and had two more second rounders to add talent.  As good as Nelson is, I'm not sure how much of a dropoff there is to the other 2 based on what I've seen.  They look pretty stout, mobile, and nasty too.

Other than that, I have no issues with picking Leonard or the rotational DEs.  We just could have used 2 more picks in the 2nd.

• Like 2

Ballard IMO picked players who he thinks will play together as a unit. He didn't pick a player  because some media guy brought up a handful of highlight reels and say look how good this guys is just to get hits for himself as a so called draft guru.

Because a guy in college looked good and had x amount of numbers doesn't mean a thing to him. He picked players to fit his vision of what he wants to build. Ballard seen what most of has seen over the last few years. Our play in the trenches has been a joke and that is being nice.

I agree with him in order for this team to win in the future and to maintain winning, the trench players have to play together to make our so called star players look like stars. We can't continue to have our star players carry this team.

How many time have I read in this forum that when Luck gets back we are good for 5 more wins?  That is the philosophy Ballard is trying to change.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard IMO picked players who he thinks will play together as a unit. He didn't pick a player  because some media guy brought up a handful of highlight reels and say look how good this guys is just to get hits for himself as a so called draft guru.

Because a guy in college looked good and had x amount of numbers doesn't mean a thing to him. He picked players to fit his vision of what he wants to build. Ballard seen what most of has seen over the last few years. Our play in the trenches has been a joke and that is being nice.

I agree with him in order for this team to win in the future and to maintain winning, the trench players have to play together to make our so called star players look like stars. We can't continue to have our star players carry this team.

How many time have I read in this forum that when Luck gets back we are good for 5 more wins?  That is the philosophy Ballard is trying to change.

Yep, the Eagles didn't miss a beat when Wentz got hurt. Foles won them the SB with very little dropoff. I hope one day we can say our team is that good. This is a start.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, I like the picks.  I will say this, that I'm sticking to my view that we should have traded out of 6 and got picks 53 and 56.  Gs were overdrafted yesterday.  When that happens, the Colts overdrafting a G is understandable.  

We could have overdrafted Ragnow or Wynn at 12 and had two more second rounders to add talent.  As good as Nelson is, I'm not sure how much of a dropoff there is to the other 2 based on what I've seen.  They look pretty stout, mobile, and nasty too.

Other than that, I have no issues with picking Leonard or the rotational DEs.  We just could have used 2 more picks in the 2nd.

I wouldn't of minded getting two extra 2nds too much. It was probably a slightly better offer for us than the Bucs IMO and we still turned it down to get Nelson. We would of had to reach on Wynn or Ragnow though in that scenario instead of Nelson, but the two extra 2nds to make 5 of them would of been incredible. 6 possibly if we did the same trade back up to 64. 

The thing about this draft which surprised me was how many reaches he took in the second round. I would have thought he would have been more aggressive in acquiring real day one starters than picking players with more upside.  He wasn't ready for a run on the OL.  We were fortunate to get Smith after he publicly said there were plenty of OL in the later rounds. The OL class was strong and so was RB and LB class and they all went fast.  Just because a class is deep doesn't mean you can afford to wait.  If there are guys you want you go and get them.  You can move up and down and we had the picks to do it.  I'm sure we acquired some good players but it might take quite awhile for some of them to really contribute.  The bright side is he fixed the OL.  That should help.  His mild lack of activity in FA really made this draft important.  I don't think you can say he hit the ball out of the park in this draft so far.  He could still get CJ Anderson and help the running game which I hope he does.  Ballard is looking like he is more of a conservative methodical GM who is willing to make some moves but nothing to drastic.  He has a lot of patience.  Hopefully these picks work out for us.  

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The thing about this draft which surprised me was how many reaches he took in the second round. I would have thought he would have been more aggressive in acquiring real day one starters than picking players with more upside.  He wasn't ready for a run on the OL.  We were fortunate to get Smith after he publicly said there were plenty of OL in the later rounds. The OL class was strong and so was RB and LB class and they all went fast.  Just because a class is deep doesn't mean you can afford to wait.  If there are guys you want you go and get them.  You can move up and down and we had the picks to do it.  I'm sure we acquired some good players but it might take quite awhile for some of them to really contribute.  The bright side is he fixed the OL.  That should help.  His mild lack of activity in FA really made this draft important.  I don't think you can say he hit the ball out of the park in this draft so far.  He could still get CJ Anderson and help the running game which I hope he does.  Ballard is looking like he is more of a conservative methodical GM who is willing to make some moves but nothing to drastic.  He has a lot of patience.  Hopefully these picks work out for us.  

We were lucky we took Nelson in the 1st, because it would of destroyed us later if we didn't. Ballard took the tier approach with the Smith and Leonard picks. They were the last of a tier, so take them and then get a position somewhere else with more people in a tier. That's how most GM's do it, and most on here don't realize it. They just want to get a random guy, and that player may be bunched with a few equal tier players at that position for us. Ballard got two starters at G, a LB he's comfortable will start, and I'm assuming the DE's in a tier that he wanted to get them before they got taken. Turay is probably the only real "reach" here. I know Lewis was projected on some GM boards to go mid-2nd, hence the trade up to get him.

I do wish Ballard would of traded up two spots to get Hernandez from the Giants. He should of known that they could take him, unless he thinks Smith and Hernandez are that close. Lets hope these guys work out.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

what makes you think there reach players? did u study each of them are you a legendary analysis? for all you and i both know CB may have gotten Gems out there

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think his public comments about starting guards were two-fold...   

One, there were other guards who can start, but likely not as a rookie...  they might need a year or two...

Two...   I think the public comment was also a bit of a smoke screen...  to get us off the scent of Nelson...    he clearly was a target and Ballard did a nice job of not telegraphing his intent...   

I don't think you can say Ballard wasn't ready....  he was in position to take the last guard he felt was starting caliber and he didn't have to trade up to do it.

• Like 2

This team needed more than just a few starters, it needed depth, everywhere. And Ballard has preached about building through the draft, starting with building the trenches on both sides of the ball. It's not flashy, not exciting, but so very important to building a solid foundation for the future.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Although there were some controversial picks last night, at least they were that way in the way where he stuck to his word and drafted according to his word. He hasn't once waivered on building through the trenches, and this draft is indicative of that. I respect the way he drafted last night with some possible "reaches" to get his guys that he felt would help the team and are nice scheme fits rather than a complete panic that Hernandez went and others, so completely abandon the plan at those positions.

He bit the bullet, took Braden Smith and got his last starting G, got his best LB, and built the D-Line last night with his guys. It may not be a BPA draft, but it was his own personal draft that allowed us to fix the team in his image, and he didn't panic, and got his guys instead of losing them. Sometimes you have to grab your guys instead of playing the cat and mouse game of giving an inch and hoping you can squeeze the value out of it. We would regret it much more if we got burned later on. Fantasy Football players know this and grab their guy early a lot instead of waiting an extra round, and usually it's the right move. Ballard did it for real, and it would of been ugly if we lost Smith and especially Leonard.

Hope this makes you feel better about our picks, and lets enjoy day 3!

Can you tell me or somebody tell me what picks we have left and how many?