Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chew on this... Regarding Browns draft/QB

Where I won't go so far as to predict an 1000% lock as I did with Barkley being selected 1st overall ( will happen though ), here's a scenario to watch

I think the Browns trade out of 4 and get their QB later. Not a lot later, but later and that QB the Browns will take is... Lamar Jackson

Think about it. Dorsey in KC had a move QB in Smith, they ran those little motion stuff all the time and taking Taylor seems to warrant a want in a mobile QB who can run that style of offense. I know that maybe the Browns just went after Taylor to avoid a bidding war on a bridge QB as Taylor was still under contract and Keenum, Bradford, McCown, McCarron and Teddy were not, however what if this was Browns plan all along. Mobile QB ( Taylor, Jackson or Mayfield), Barkley( 3 phase ability RB ), Johnson ( 3 phase ability RB to spell Barkley), shifty slot(Landry), move TE(Noyoko) ( I don't know how to spell his name ) and field stretchers in Gordon and Coleman. That's one potential scary offense.

There's only 2 really "mobile" QB's that could mentor behind Taylor in the draft that's being talked about. Jackson and Mayfield. I mean Browns could go after Mayfield too

But either way, I think this also could solidify why Browns won't select QB at 1 as Mayfield and Jackson could both be had later, not a lot later, but later than 1st overall.

I still think Browns go with QB at 1.  Taylor is an obvious bridge to whomever they draft in the 1st.  QB is the most important decision the new GM will make, so why would he pass on the opportunity to get his choice of QBs?  He’ll still get either the 1st or 2nd non-QB to be drafted at 4...

9 hours ago, Indeee said:

Where I won't go so far as to predict an 1000% lock as I did with Barkley being selected 1st overall ( will happen though ), here's a scenario to watch

I think the Browns trade out of 4 and get their QB later. Not a lot later, but later and that QB the Browns will take is... Lamar Jackson

Think about it. Dorsey in KC had a move QB in Smith, they ran those little motion stuff all the time and taking Taylor seems to warrant a want in a mobile QB who can run that style of offense. I know that maybe the Browns just went after Taylor to avoid a bidding war on a bridge QB as Taylor was still under contract and Keenum, Bradford, McCown, McCarron and Teddy were not, however what if this was Browns plan all along. Mobile QB ( Taylor, Jackson or Mayfield), Barkley( 3 phase ability RB ), Johnson ( 3 phase ability RB to spell Barkley), shifty slot(Landry), move TE(Noyoko) ( I don't know how to spell his name ) and field stretchers in Gordon and Coleman. That's one potential scary offense.

There's only 2 really "mobile" QB's that could mentor behind Taylor in the draft that's being talked about. Jackson and Mayfield. I mean Browns could go after Mayfield too

But either way, I think this also could solidify why Browns won't select QB at 1 as Mayfield and Jackson could both be had later, not a lot later, but later than 1st overall.

Still waiting on those lottery numbers............

Jackson if he is 210 pounds I would be surprised he wont stand a chance in the pros another RG3.

If the Browns want to continue to look another 20 years for their franchise QB, then they should by all means draft Jackson. He struggled in passing drills at the combine, struggled on the black board with Xs and Os, threw the slowest passes (49 MPH), interviewed poorly and didn't participate in the rest of the drills.

With that being said, I think the Browns are wising up and will make some smarter moves this draft. The first one will be not drafting L. Jackson as their QB.   

14 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If the Browns want to continue to look another 20 years for their franchise QB, then they should by all means draft Jackson. He struggled in passing drills at the combine, struggled on the black board with Xs and Os, threw the slowest passes (49 MPH), interviewed poorly and didn't participate in the rest of the drills.

With that being said, I think the Browns are wising up and will make some smarter moves this draft. The first one will be not drafting L. Jackson as their QB.   

I agree. IMO the Browns will take Barkley at #1 and then a QB with #4. Naturally they could take the QB of their choice at #1 but I think they will gamble with who ever is there at #4. It's quite possible the Giants take a QB but I think they will trade down. It may even be with the Browns?

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree. IMO the Browns will take Barkley at #1 and then a QB with #4. Naturally they could take the QB of their choice at #1 but I think they will gamble with who ever is there at #4. It's quite possible the Giants take a QB but I think they will trade down. It may even be with the Browns?

I not convinced they will take Barkley at #1 just yet, but I have know doubt they will take a QB and WILL take their highest rated QB. They won't be settling for the who's still on board for the sake of getting Barkley.  They have been in QB purgatory for 20 years and are in a great, great position to finally find their franchise QB. I serious doubt they want to pass on another potential C. Wentz by gambling on waiting to get the 3rd or 4th best available in this draft.

48 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I not convinced they will take Barkley at #1 just yet, but I have know doubt they will take a QB and WILL take their highest rated QB. They won't be settling for the who's still on board for the sake of getting Barkley.  They have been in QB purgatory for 20 years and are in a great, great position to finally find their franchise QB. I serious doubt they want to pass on another potential C. Wentz by gambling on waiting to get the 3rd or 4th best available in this draft.

If the Giants don't take a QB with the 2nd pick I see them trading down with the Browns trading up. The Browns have enough picks to pretty much make anything work.