Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Armchair GM's pre-combine Mock

My first new topic.  My first mock.  Heavily dependent upon combine results, of course.

Stipulation # 1 - Andrew Luck must be throwing by April 1.  Otherwise, all bets are off.  Draft a QB at #3 and never look back.  This mock assumes he's going to be ok.

Stipulation # 2 - High volume of available QB's means neither the Jets nor the Broncos will trade up with us.  They can stay put and get what they need.  I assume we trade with the Dolphins at #11.

Stipulation # 3 - Only take a player in the top 5 that is a franchise defining player, regardless of position.  I think Barkley qualifies for this more than Chubb, but I'm not totally sold on either, at least for a top 5 pick.  Will be watching them huge at the combine.  In this case, trading down.

Re-sign Colts Free agents:

CB Rashaan Melvin

G Jack Mewhort (if his injury isn't career ending)

WR Donte Moncrief (1-2 year incentive "prove it" deal)

CB Pierre Dasir

ILB Jon Bostic (yes, Bostic.  Neither he nor Morrison should start, but they can both play and have value.)

New Free agents:

G Andrew Norwell (if we can win the bidding war)

CB Melvin Butler (he hates the Patriots as much as we do; well motivated)

RB Carlos Hyde (the thunder to Marlon Mack's lightning)

DE/OLB Dee Ford (if KC releases him, which I think they will)

EARLY DRAFT:

1/11 - G Quentin Nelson (he ought to fall this far, being a guard)

2/36 - ILB Rashaan Evans (I like the violence in his game; don't like his diving for ankles too much)

2/42 - RT Orlando Brown or RT Connor Williams (both have deficiencies to worry about, but are good RT fits)

3/67 - WR Equanimeous St Brown or WR Auden Tate

I think these moves address just about all of the Colts issues:

Offensive Line improvement/depth

Pass rush

Inside Linebacker improvement

Cornerback improvement/depth

Possession Wide Reciever

Running Back depth

What it doesn't address:  Safety help.  This mock relies on Clayton Geathers, Matthias Farley, and TJ Green to hold down the other spot from Hooker.  Will Geathers get back to where we hoped he would be?  Will TJ Green finally figure out how to play this position?  I like Farley, but I think he can be improved on.

Waiting for the inevitable criticisms. Be kind!

2 hours ago, coltsnation said:

We are NOT drafting a QB at #3 as long as Luck is on the roster.  Worst case scenario Luck misses the whole season, we get a high draft pick, and then roll with Luck into 2019.

I have no desire to go through last season again.  He'll be ready.  Well....  he might be ready.  Um...  we HOPE he'll be ready.  Ehhh....  He's on IR.  Better luck next year.  Wash, rinse, and repeat.

It's been two years.  Either he's ready to go, or he'll never play again.  Or, at least, we need to treat the situation that way.

I choose to believe that he really is ready to go.

But if not, we're not going to do the year-long holding pattern again.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I have no desire to go through last season again.  He'll be ready.  Well....  he might be ready.  Um...  we HOPE he'll be ready.  Ehhh....  He's on IR.  Better luck next year.  Wash, rinse, and repeat.

fair enough, we can do whatever we want in our own mocks right? lol

if i had to bet i think we wont take a QB unless we know something is going wrong with luck before the draft.

i doubt they take a QB if its still questionable 

18 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

My first new topic.  My first mock.  Heavily dependent upon combine results, of course.

Stipulation # 1 - Andrew Luck must be throwing by April 1.  Otherwise, all bets are off.  Draft a QB at #3 and never look back.  This mock assumes he's going to be ok.

Stipulation # 2 - High volume of available QB's means neither the Jets nor the Broncos will trade up with us.  They can stay put and get what they need.  I assume we trade with the Dolphins at #11.

Stipulation # 3 - Only take a player in the top 5 that is a franchise defining player, regardless of position.  I think Barkley qualifies for this more than Chubb, but I'm not totally sold on either, at least for a top 5 pick.  Will be watching them huge at the combine.  In this case, trading down.

Re-sign Colts Free agents:

CB Rashaan Melvin

G Jack Mewhort (if his injury isn't career ending)

WR Donte Moncrief (1-2 year incentive "prove it" deal)

CB Pierre Dasir

ILB Jon Bostic (yes, Bostic.  Neither he nor Morrison should start, but they can both play and have value.)

New Free agents:

G Andrew Norwell (if we can win the bidding war)

CB Melvin Butler (he hates the Patriots as much as we do; well motivated)

RB Carlos Hyde (the thunder to Marlon Mack's lightning)

DE/OLB Dee Ford (if KC releases him, which I think they will)

EARLY DRAFT:

1/11 - G Quentin Nelson (he ought to fall this far, being a guard)

2/36 - ILB Rashaan Evans (I like the violence in his game; don't like his diving for ankles too much)

2/42 - RT Orlando Brown or RT Connor Williams (both have deficiencies to worry about, but are good RT fits)

3/67 - WR Equanimeous St Brown or WR Auden Tate

I think these moves address just about all of the Colts issues:

Offensive Line improvement/depth

Pass rush

Inside Linebacker improvement

Cornerback improvement/depth

Possession Wide Reciever

Running Back depth

What it doesn't address:  Safety help.  This mock relies on Clayton Geathers, Matthias Farley, and TJ Green to hold down the other spot from Hooker.  Will Geathers get back to where we hoped he would be?  Will TJ Green finally figure out how to play this position?  I like Farley, but I think he can be improved on.

Waiting for the inevitable criticisms. Be kind!

I really doubt Nelson falls that far.  Jonathan Cooper was a guard only and was drafted #7 overall in the 2013 draft and Chance Warmack was drafted #10 overall and neither where the kind of prospect that Nelson is.  

I think how highly Nelson is drafted is going to surprise some people.