Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something Interesting I Read The Other Day.

Dark Superman

I read an interesting article the other day (Can't remember who wrote it) but it really painted me a picture of what Chris Ballard is doing with our defense.

First off, Chris Ballard this off-season signed Hankins, Simon, and Sheard to multi-year deals. These are all men who can play in both a 3-4 and 4-3 defense. The article mentioned Ballard's vision of running the same style of defense similar to The Seattle Seahawks.

He compared the draft profiles of both Richard Wilson and Richard Sherman.

They were nearly identical.

He did the same with Malik Hooker and Earl Thomas.

Once again, they were nearly identical.

Not only did bring in guys who produced, but he assembled the foundation for the future of our defense. He already knew Chuck Pagano and his coaching staff weren't in the cards for Ballard, so he began the process of the Chris Ballard Era the minute he came here.

I know we still need to sign a new Head Coach and his staff, but I feel like Ballard made that decision a year ago when he was named the Colts new GM.

The guy is brilliant and even got the better of Belichick in two trades in 2017. I'm all in on Chris Ballard and will stand by whoever he brings in to Coach this team.

I really think if anyone can turn this franchise around quickly, it's Chris Ballard.

I'm so pumped up to see who our next coach will be and the moves we make both in Free Agency and the Draft.

Here's what I believe will be a positive 2018 season for our beloved Colts!

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

If Dark Superman's point is that Chris Ballard is competent, has an eye for spotting talented athletes, & will take us where we need to go; then yes, abso bloody lott ly the vast majority of Colt fans will co-sign that. 

Amen, SW1. I always valued your opinions whenever coming across one of your posts. This forum needs more people like you on it and I sincerely mean that.

It's not often that I come across an article that catches my attention for more than a few minutes, but that one certainly took the cake.

I normally take any article that I read on Bleacher Report with a grain of salt, but this one really interested me and helped me understand the motives behind some of Chris Ballard's Draft decisions. Whoever wrote this article really did their homework and I appreciated his effort, every word I read that night.

If you get the chance you should take a look at it and see what you think. If the article proves to be true, well then Chris Ballard is always five steps ahead of everyone else.

Chris Ballard may very well be a football genius for all we know.

Heck, the guy did make two trades with the New England Patriots and ended up getting the better of the two.

Take my money. I'm all in on Chris Ballard. 

At least, until he proves me wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On January 9, 2018 at 2:56 PM, KING. said:

Amen, SW1. I always valued your opinions whenever coming across one of your posts. This forum needs more people like you on it and I sincerely mean that.

I've been away from the forum due to a recent family tragedy KING, but thank you for such kind words on my behalf. I just didn't want you to think that I didn't value your insights & contributions either because I do. Trust me, it's a mutual admiration society on my end as well. 

Chris Ballard is definitely the key to surrounding Luck with talent, not to mention a quality defense if given say 3-4 yrs in order to generate more turnovers & by definition touches for Luck to get touchdowns provided his shoulder is fine that is. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I've been away from the forum due to a recent family tragedy KING, but thank you for such kind words on my behalf. I just didn't want you to think that I didn't value your insights & contributions either because I do. Trust me, it's a mutual admiration society on my end as well. 

Chris Ballard is definitely the key to surrounding Luck with talent, not to mention a quality defense if given say 3-4 yrs in order to generate more turnovers & by definition touches for Luck to get touchdowns provided his shoulder is fine that is. 

Condolences while dealing with the family issues friend, King is right, your input here is always welcome and valued!

On 1/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, RollerColt said:

So far this is what I have noticed as well. It will be intriguing on what he does next during the draft and free agency. 

This is is the type of defense we need, a hybrid that can adjust each game with game changing playmakers. 

I believe Ballard can build a team as good as the 2005 team we had. 

I am not sure why he added the Brad Kaaya quote at the end.  He was a 6th round draft pick, was cut by the Lions, then cut by the Panthers, then signed to the Lions' practice squad.

If there are still concerns about Luck's shoulder next year, we're likely to need another body at QB along with Brissett.  I don't think Kaaya signing before Pagano got the ax has any significant meaning into suggesting we're going to switch to a 4-3 on defense or that Ballard has already determined who the next coach is.  

The rest of the article was interesting, and many points seem valid, but I also wasn't sold on the speaking about the signings of Al Woods, Simon, Sheard, or Hunt.  We needed a pass rusher and Sheard was probably the most affordable option in FA for us, we needed DL depth and Woods made sense.  Hunt was a cheap signing in an area of need.  Simon was also a relatively cheap signing in an area of need.  

If we are going to hire McDaniels (like many are assuming, especially with Mike Vrabel going to Titans) and McDaniels is going to bring in Eberflus from Dallas (like many are assuming) it is probably best to look at Eberflus and what he has done.

Here is an interesting article regarding Cowboys defense: http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/12/scheme-review-should-cowboys-abandon-their-zone-defenses/ --  they played majority of base package (4-3) in a cover 3 zone (which the article writer suggests).  It is interesting, they reduce the completion % in cover 3 compared to Tampa 2 or cover 4, but they allow bigger plays to happen.  Who knows, if Hooker comes back 100% maybe we have the perfect guy for a cover 3, but without him I think we struggle mightily in that scheme (Green has the speed to be good here, but hasn't shown a whole lot otherwise to suggest he's going to succeed as a starter on defense -- I'm not writing him off yet but I don't really see anyone besides Hooker on our current roster who will fit the role of a deep safety in a cover3).   

@ColtsFanMikeC

I may be mistaken, but, the Kaaya quote may be more in tune with the change in offensive scheme to something like he ran at the U....? Something a bit more in his talent range I would guess? 

CB, in my opinion knew he was going to offer the job to McDaniels all along and Kaaya's skillset plays well in that system!

Just my $0.02...

On 1/19/2018 at 11:04 PM, superrep1967 said:

I believe Ballard can build a team as good as the 2005 team we had. 

That’s high praise, or high hopes, 2005 was the best Colts team maybe ever.  

I cant wait to see what he does in Free Agency.