Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stampede Blue: Theory that Ballard knows his coach already

Bubba_Rebel

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Stop asking this ? No one is ever gonna answer it. haha You keep trying but no one has a clue how to answer you cause they are super stumped!!

And a lot of the times they stop replying in the thread :P

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I honestly am not buying it.  Some of his evidence seems a little forced.  Those scouting reports don't sound nearly as alike as the writer makes it seem.  

Don't get me wrong I think Ballard knows exactly who he wants to hire as a coach, but that doesn't mean that he a year ago already decided that he was gonna hire a cover 3 coach.  

As far as Kaaya, I think Ballard wanted to get him into camp next year as legit competition for Brissett..  So he signed him to the roster before the season was over and the Lions could get him on a futures contract.  He probably tells everyone that they have a chance to make the 53 man roster.  Do you honestly think that he'd tell someone that they are a camp arm when they come in to sign a contract?  

Don't get me wrong Kaaya does have a chance, that's the point of Training Camp is to evaluate the guys you have and I think Ballard certainly wanted Kaaya in his camp.  But I'm not buying that this is some sort of proof as to who Ballard is going to hire as coach.  

17 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I honestly am not buying it.  Some of his evidence seems a little forced.  Those scouting reports don't sound nearly as alike as the writer makes it seem.  

Don't get me wrong I think Ballard knows exactly who he wants to hire as a coach, but that doesn't mean that he a year ago already decided that he was gonna hire a cover 3 coach.  

As far as Kaaya, I think Ballard wanted to get him into camp next year as legit competition for Brissett..  So he signed him to the roster before the season was over and the Lions could get him on a futures contract.  He probably tells everyone that they have a chance to make the 53 man roster.  Do you honestly think that he'd tell someone that they are a camp arm when they come in to sign a contract?  

Don't get me wrong Kaaya does have a chance, that's the point of Training Camp is to evaluate the guys you have and I think Ballard certainly wanted Kaaya in his camp.  But I'm not buying that this is some sort of proof as to who Ballard is going to hire as coach.  

Not really sure at all as to why the author of the article is including signing a back-up/practice-squad QB as final evidence when most of the article is about running a 4-3 defense.

Everything else we read is that Irsay is selling to future head coaches that Luck is fully healthy and we have our franchise QB. 

Some points in the article are worth considering, but the Kaaya thing makes the whole article bogus, IMO.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I really don't know where you come up with this "yes" man stuff?

As far as Toub him not having an offensive philosophy would make no difference. That would fall on the OC he hired if he became a head coach. Toub is a long time veteran coach and has been around some pretty good coaches himself. The head coaches job is to put a group of coordinators and assistants together and get wins. His past history of organizing is pretty strong.

Ive tried to get on board,  I  just don't see it....He very well may turn out to be great, but all the interviews and articles Ive read, he just seems like another nice guy players coach to me...I want a coach CAPABLE of running 1 side of the ball and taking over the playcalling from coordinator if Necessary........Steve Wilks stands out the more I watch him.....He commands the room, has that charisma a head coach needs , and he is super intelligent.....In 1 10 minute press conference he talked more x's and o's than I've heard Pagano talk in 6 years......He is a great defensive coordinator. .....Ill take that over a 55 yr old special teams nice guy who will have problems even putting a staff together....

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Ive tried to get on board,  I  just don't see it....He very well may turn out to be great, but all the interviews and articles Ive read, he just seems like another nice guy players coach to me...I want a coach CAPABLE of running 1 side of the ball and taking over the playcalling from coordinator if Necessary........Steve Wilks stands out the more I watch him.....He commands the room, has that charisma a head coach needs , and he is super intelligent.....In 1 10 minute press conference he talked more x's and o's than I've heard Pagano talk in 6 years......He is a great defensive coordinator. .....Ill take that over a 55 yr old special teams nice guy who will have problems even putting a staff together....

You and I rarely agree.

Your post here does nothing to change that.  But to the bolded part - how in God's name can you possibly know this to be true?

9 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

You and I rarely agree.

Your post here does nothing to change that.  But to the bolded part - how in God's name can you possibly know this to be true?

I've seen it written in several articles that he could struggle assembling a staff....I don't know the logistics of it, or why that is, but it has been written....We don't even know what the guy's offensive and defensive philosophy is since he has never even elevated himself to an offensive or defensive coordinator position which is the natural progression for most Head Coaches....That worries me, just listening to him talk doesn't seem like a guy I would be fired up to play for.....Steve Wilks on other hand seems like a guy players would run through a wall for and want his respect....By the eye and ear test Wilks is in the lead in my opinion...We got to get this choice right, Toub seems the riskiest out of all the candidates, and would depend too much on his coordinators for success..Problem with that is coordinators leave if they are good...

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

I've seen it written in several articles that he could struggle assembling a staff....I don't know the logistics if why that is, but it has been written....We don't even know what the guy's offensive and defensive philosophy is since he has never even elevated himself to an offensive or defensive coordinator position which is the natural progression for most Head Coaches....That worries me, just listening to him talk doesn't seem like a guy I would be fired up to play for.....Steve Wilks on other hand seems like a guy players would run through a wall for and want his respect....By the eye and ear test Wilks is in the lead in my opinion...We got to get this choice right, Toub seems the riskiest out of all the candidates, and would depend too much on his coordinators for success, and coordinators leave if they are good...

Please post a link showing where anyone of substance (i.e., not a message board fan boy) suggested this.  I bet dollars to donuts you can't.  Personally I think you just made that up to help support your narrative.  If that is not the case, I will happily apologize.

The traditional path to an NFL Head Coach is through becoming a DC or OC. But that does not mean it is the only way.  The league is filled with the ashes of hot coordinators that flamed out as head coach - Pagano, McAdoo, Philbin & countless others.  And there are success stories of HC's coming from other areas.  

Read the story in the link below.  There are plenty of good points made here about the guy and the leader that he is.  Don't know if he will be the coach or not but I don't think his hire, should it come to that, will be the worst thing in the world.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/05/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-2018-nfl-coaching-carousel

6 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Please post a link showing where anyone of substance (i.e., not a message board fan boy) suggested this.  I bet dollars to donuts you can't.  Personally I think you just made that up to help support your narrative.  If that is not the case, I will happily apologize.

The traditional path to an NFL Head Coach is through becoming a DC or OC. But that does not mean it is the only way.  The league is filled with the ashes of hot coordinators that flamed out as head coach - Pagano, McAdoo, Philbin & countless others.  And there are success stories of HC's coming from other areas.  

Read the story in the link below.  There are plenty of good points made here about the guy and the leader that he is.  Don't know if he will be the coach or not but I don't think his hire, should it come to that, will be the worst thing in the world.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/05/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-2018-nfl-coaching-carousel

Im not sure the exact article but they are out there...Maybe someone on here can post the link i know I'm not the only 1 who has seen it....

Don’t understand why Toub being a Special Teams coach with no head coaching experience is such s negative. Wasn’t BB’s background in special teams? In fact, his team’s special teams play is one of th reasons they are so consistently good. I’m not pulling for Toub, but I wouldn’t discount him for his specific coordinating background.

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I have to agree with you on Wilks. I really like him. When you listen to this guy it doesn't take long to figure out hes a leader. He'd have no problems getting guys to run through a wall for him. He knows exactly what he wants done and he is able to convey that with great detail. I think he has great teaching ability and great energy. I wish I knew more about what he'd do offensively but I can say as a leader of men guys would go to war and be glad to do so.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:18 PM, #12. said:

You can hire McDaniels and still run whatever defense you want.  Who knows, McDaniels himself might prefer the Seattle defense moving forward.  The idea that McDaniels will come here and run a carbon copy of every single thing Belichick has done in New England for the past 18 years... 

Well, that's unlikely to happen.

We can dream.  :P

More seriously, enough Belichick tree coaches have gone to other areas and failed spectacularly that it's clear that there's something that man can do that nobody else really can copy.  I think he's got an intuitive ability to look at a player and quickly figure out the best situations to use them.  It's the sort of instinct that can not be taught.

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

When Mike Adams says hes learned more from Wilks than hes learned in a long time then that's impressive to me because Adams has been around for a long time. Obviously learned more than when he was here. Even guys like Ted Ginn spoke well of him.

52 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have to agree with you on Wilks. I really like him. When you listen to this guy it doesn't take long to figure out hes a leader. He'd have no problems getting guys to run through a wall for him. He knows exactly what he wants done and he is able to convey that with great detail. I think he has great teaching ability and great energy. I wish I knew more about what he'd do offensively but I can say as a leader of men guys would go to war and be glad to do so.

Yeah man.....Ive been looking into all the candidates lately and he sticks out and it's not even close...I wanted Harbaugh first, but Wilks is a pleasant surprise, and definately who I want right now. ....Hopefully we can get a good west coast offense guy as the OC to pair with him....I think he would get our Defense at a high level pretty quick.....I think he will blow them away in the interview and steal the job from Toub despite Toub's long relationship with Ballard...

27 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah man.....Ive been looking into all the candidates lately and he sticks out and it's not even close...I wanted Harbaugh first, but Wilks is a pleasant surprise, and definately who I want right now. ....Hopefully we can get a good west coast offense guy as the OC to pair with him....I think he would get our Defense at a high level pretty quick.....I think he will blow them away in the interview and steal the job from Toub despite Toub's long relationship with Ballard...

Wilks was with Ballard at the Chicago Bears for 2 years under Lovie Smith. They are familiar with each other as well.

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Steve Wilks stands out the more I watch him.....

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I have to agree with you on Wilks. I really like him. 

I'll jump in with you guys & join the Wilks train too. As you've both stated, he is starting to stand out as a strong candidate. I'll just add, & I don't know the possibility of poaching 2 coaches from Carolina, but their linebackers coach Al Holcomb also seems like a strong possibility to be promoted as a DC...

So if the Colts could get the combo, with their ties there in Carolina I think Wilks is my favorite candidate being mentioned so far...