Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SB 5 trophy

WoolMagnet

Does itbother anyone else that it is sitting in the babe Ruth birthplace "museum".  That place looks like the basement of some dude's house.  Kinda disrepectful ,imo.  

Imo, the trophy should have a place of honor beside some of its "brothers". Whether that is beside a lombardi with the ravens or colts isnt as important as the fact its "window dressing" in a  2nd rate "baseball museum".

at the very least it should be housed in Canton.

maybe i'm over-thinking it.

35 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Does itbother anyone else that it is sitting in the babe Ruth birthplace "museum".  That place looks like the basement of some dude's house.  Kinda disrepectful ,imo.  

Imo, the trophy should have a place of honor beside some of its "brothers". Whether that is beside a lombardi with the ravens or colts isnt as important as the fact its "window dressing" in a  2nd rate "baseball museum".

at the very least it should be housed in Canton.

maybe i'm over-thinking it.

That is the second trophy . The original was stolen by the Rosenbloom / Frontiere Family. There is one each for Baltimore and Indy when we charge the Frontiere Family with theft. 

So where is the "real" one now?

so you are saying there are 4?

1. "Real" one 

2. This one at babe ruth museum

3. One in baltimore (with ravens i assume you mean) 

4.1 in indy you said?  where is it?

were they having a sale on them?

or did u mean 2:

1.,museum one (#2) in haltimore

2. Real one now with colts

also, what do do consider "stolen"?

The original one was stolen by Carroll Rosenbloom when Bob Irsay shipped it out to LA for a Super Bowl trophy exhibition / showing. Rosenbloom, and when he died, Georgia Frontiere stole,  and kept the trophy. That trophy now resides with the Frontiere Family , and should be returned , like stolen WW 2 art. 

The second Super Bowl 5 trophy at the Babe Ruth museum was awarded to Baltimore after the relocation settlement between Bob Irsay and the city of Baltimore. The difference between the two trophies is that George Young was added to the Baltimore trophy , which is the second Super Bowl 5 trophy. 

42 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Kinda funny neither is with the organization (team) that actually won it.

It depends how you look at it. Rosenbloom was the owner of the Baltimore Colts when they won Super Bowl 5. Baltimore was the city at the time that won Super Bowl 5. Irsay and Indy eventually inherited the Colts franchise, but not until after Super Bowl 5 was won. 

Its weird that the original trophy resides in St Louis. It’s also odd that you will find no banners of the 1958,59, 68 NFL Championships or Super Bowl 5 in either Baltimore or Indy. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I think we should give all the Colts history before 1984 to the Ravens. 

I would like that, but Jim Irsay would never do it. Also, you have a lot of forum members here that followed the Colts from Baltimore to Indy. It’s just a shame a lot of that history lives in limbo. The reason for this stems from the relocation agreement between Irsay and the city of Baltimore .

29 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It depends how you look at it. Rosenbloom was the owner of the Baltimore Colts when they won Super Bowl 5. Baltimore was the city at the time that won Super Bowl 5. Irsay and Indy eventually inherited the Colts franchise, but not until after Super Bowl 5 was won. 

Its weird that the original trophy resides in St Louis. It’s also odd that you will find no banners of the 1958,59, 68 NFL Championships or Super Bowl 5 in either Baltimore or Indy. 

Well, we have participation banners hanging in LOS. Might as well hang those NFL Championships and Super Bowl 5 banners too. 

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I don't. 

Me either, its the club's.

i wouldn'd buy a rolls royce if the owner kept the hood ornament, would you?  Trophies (of that magnitude) should stay with the organization l, even if sold, moved, etc.  

did nixon keep the desk?  No.

even Bond had to return the watch at the end of a mission.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

So the  Rams " greatest show on turf"trophy stayed behind in St Louis with the SB 5 trophy?

well, at least they wont be lonely

Yep, the original is in one of the Frontiere kid’s house sitting next to a vase. I’m assuming the greatest show on turf one is there also. Two Super Bowl trophies and no team. 

7 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I don't dislike the Ravens . I was a Baltimore Colts fan not from Baltimore originally. Always found it weird the way the Ravens celebrate the history of another franchise . The old guys coming back on the field in Ravens jerseys . The numbers, Colts stuff in their museum. It's just bizarre. No other team I've ever heard of does that.  As far as the Colts not having banners for the Baltimore teams I suppose I don't really have a problem with that because they were won in another town . I'm thinking the Rams didn't have banners for the 47 Cleveland team or 51 ? Rams eithers , could be wrong.  It's a matter of franchise record anyway.  

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

I don't dislike the Ravens . I was a Baltimore Colts fan not from Baltimore originally. Always found it weird the way the Ravens celebrate the history of another franchise . The old guys coming back on the field in Ravens jerseys . The numbers, Colts stuff in their museum. It's just bizarre. No other team I've ever heard of does that.  

I understand how people see it that way, especially after 34 years. Younger fans don’t even know the Colts played in Baltimore. 

You would have to live in Baltimore to understand it . Those old Baltimore Colts lived in the communities , and were close to the fans. It’s a bond that still exists. 

Unitas , Ameche, Bobby Boyd, Gino Marchetti, Jim Parker all had restaurants in Baltimore. Stan White and Bruce Laird are on the local Ravens broadcasts. 

Although we have moved onto the Ravens, Baltimore Colts history and ex players are still beloved and celebrated. 

13 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Yep, the original is in one of the Frontiere kid’s house sitting next to a vase. I’m assuming the greatest show on turf one is there also. Two Super Bowl trophies and no team. 

St. Louis has had 2 teams since I was in high school( I live close )  Now there's none. I think that might be it. All those years in LA, great players , and they actually won a SB in St. Louis.  

6 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

It's very college like.  Reminds me of the banners you see for NIT or NCAA in college arenas. 

I’m glad we didn’t put up the Lee Evans/ Billy Cundiff runner up banner , when those two blew the game against the Patriots we had in the bag. That would have been a painful banner 

Just now, mahagga73 said:

St. Louis has had 2 teams since I was in high school( I live close )  Now there's none. I think that might be it.  

You are probably right, but maybe there is hope in the future. The Washington Senators moved twice , then they finally got the Nationals from Montreal. However, short term , it looks bleak. 

Just now, LockeDown said:

Ironically, those old Baltimore Colts teams were Bill Bellichiks favorite teams growing up.  Now, he is the chief nemesis of both Ravens and Colts. We'd both probably have another Soper Bowl if not for him.

His dad Steve was a coach at Navy, and his first job was with the Baltimore Colts. The other weird connection was if Modell had not fired him in Cleveland, he would have been the first coach of the Baltimore Ravens. 

Alas, as you stated, he has no doubt cost the Ravens and Colts at least a Super Bowl. He is a pebble in everyone’s shoe. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

His dad Steve was a coach at Navy, and his first job was with the Baltimore Colts. The other weird connection was if Modell had not fired him in Cleveland, he would have been the first coach of the Baltimore Ravens. 

Alas, as you stated, he has no doubt cost the Ravens and Colts at least a Super Bowl. He is a pebble in everyone’s shoe. 

I would have much preferred the Ravens have him than NE.  

Grew up a Baltimore Colts fan and oriole fan as well. From VA, not loyal to the cities, just the club. Will admit though I personally loved the sound of the Baltimore Colts vs now. My heart followed the colts to Indy and they are still my team the same as then. My first game was at memorial stadium vs Sipe and the browns. That being said, wish the history was still with the club but understand both sides of the story. Just make us out of town fans harder to plead cases with other fans from other teams. Also stinks we can't buy things with all the world championships because they are split between cities. 

1 hour ago, coltsfan77 said:

Grew up a Baltimore Colts fan and oriole fan as well. From VA, not loyal to the cities, just the club. Will admit though I personally loved the sound of the Baltimore Colts vs now. My heart followed the colts to Indy and they are still my team the same as then. My first game was at memorial stadium vs Sipe and the browns. That being said, wish the history was still with the club but understand both sides of the story. Just make us out of town fans harder to plead cases with other fans from other teams. Also stinks we can't buy things with all the world championships because they are split between cities. 

It would be a nice compromise to hang the banners in both cities, and get the one Super Bowl 5 trophy back from St Louis, that way you could have one in both Indy and Baltimore. We know Indy has the franchise history, but as a result of the relocation deal, some of the hardware and banners remain in limbo. It’s old history, but still an intersting and successful time in NFL history.