Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver changes the offensive coordinator, goes to Paxton Lynch

oldunclemark

They pushed out Mike McCoy and they're going with the guy who was Oakland's OC last year.

..and Paxton Lynch gets a chance.

I remember though..., Lynch got a couple of chances last year......He's not Joe Montana,. He's not even Joe Gilliam

John Elway isn't patient. If the Broncos keep losing..all three of their quarterbacks will be playing else where in2018

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They pushed out Mike McCoy and they're going with the guy who was Oakland's OC last year.

I remember though..., Lynch got a couple of chances last year......He's not Joe Montana,. He's not even Joe Gilliam

John Elway isn't patient. If the Broncos keep losing..all three of their quarterbacks will be playing else where in2018

Joe Gilliam? Really? Calling Lynch no better than Joe Gilliam is more than an insult don't you think?

Lynch has started 2 games in his NFL career. He was throwing at 59% with 497 yards and 2 TDs with 1 int.

That is way too small of an example to make your comment and expect it to taken serious.

I agree that Elway may not be a patient guy but I just don't understand why the Lynch-Gilliam comment.

Just out of curiosity are you familiar with Gilliam's history?

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I think you may be jumping the gun,,,,,  again 

Where do you get the idea all three Denver quarterbacks will be playing somewhere else next year? Chad Kelly never had a chance because of a wrist injury he suffered in college. Everyone knew Paxton Lynch was not ready-made for a starting job anywhere, so there is no reason to be impatient with him either. Only Brock Osweiler will be a free agent in 2018.

Brock has a ceiling that is shorter than him, Siemian finally showed why he lasted till Round 7 in the draft, and Paxton Lynch is another physical specimen like Brock who has not adapted and learnt the nuances of the NFL or the playbook as fast as they expected. Out of all these 3, Lynch is the only one they are truly invested in.

I think both Brock and Siemian are shown the door next year, a new QB is drafted in round 2 or 3, just not round 1 since it is a new OC and new system likely to be implemented in the off season.

I expect Paxton Lynch to sling it more, hit a few and miss a lot more, just a hunch. However, I do not think he will be anywhere close to what Nathan Peterman showed us. Sometimes, being on the sidelines, and watching NFL speed and things you have to do as a QB as a 1st or 2nd year player, helps the second rodeo, IMO, when you do take the field. They will simplify a few things for him, no doubt, but they are going to let him sling it enough and not protect him too much because they want to truly see what he has to show them the second time around.

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Joe Gilliam? Really? Calling Lynch no better than Joe Gilliam is more than an insult don't you think?

Lynch has started 2 games in his NFL career. He was throwing at 59% with 497 yards and 2 TDs with 1 int.

That is way too small of an example to make your comment and expect it to taken serious.

I agree that Elway may not be a patient guy but I just don't understand why the Lynch-Gilliam comment.

Just out of curiosity are you familiar with Gilliam's history?

I'm just kidding. I just wanted to name another 'Joe' after I named Montana

I was a big fan of Joe Gilliam with the Steelers. Backed up Tery Bradshaw.

Jefferson Street Joe, right? .  It was just a past name that came to mind

You jumped off my thought elevator at the wrong floor.

I'm just saying that while I want Lynch to do well, we have seen him play (under a much more conservatve OC) and he really want ready

Edited by oldunclemark

4 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Where do you get the idea all three Denver quarterbacks will be playing somewhere else next year? Chad Kelly never had a chance because of a wrist injury he suffered in college. Everyone knew Paxton Lynch was not ready-made for a starting job anywhere, so there is no reason to be impatient with him either. Only Brock Osweiler will be a free agent in 2018.

JW...Kelly isn't one of the three. they love him.    Its Paxton Lynch, Trevor Siemian and Brock Osweiler

Following their writers and knowing Elway's history, this is Lynch's chance.  New offensive coordinator...6 games

He wont be in Denver next year if he cant lay at least passably well.

Brock is Brock. The Browns are paying his contract this year. Not next year.The last 3 games were his chance

Trevor Siemian is a fine young man but he is limited and he has started 20 times now.

Elway is just not patient and three are free agent QBs available

This team still has a good defense and two quality receivers. They have to win next year because the defense is aging

19 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I think you may be jumping the gun,,,,,  again 

May be..but this is Lynch's chance. The new OC supposedly is a college-style read option oriented guy who likes the mobile QB and knows how to use him.

I'm eager to see.

But you've watched Elway...Hells clear the QB room

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

JW...Kelly isn't one of the three. they love him.    Its Paxton Lynch, Trevor Siemian and Brock Osweiler

Following their writers and knowing Elway's history, this is Lynch's chance.  New offensive coordinator...6 games

He wont be in Denver next year if he cant lay at least passably well.

Brock is Brock. The Browns are paying his contract this year. Not next year.The last 3 games were his chance

Trevor Siemian is a fine young man but he is limited and he has started 20 times now.

Elway is just not patient and three are free agent QBs available

This team still has a good defense and two quality receivers. They have to win next year because the defense is aging

Lynch isn't  a free agent next year 

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm just kidding. I just wanted to name another 'Joe' after I named Montana

I was a big fan of Joe Gilliam with the Steelers. Backed up Tery Bradshaw.

Jefferson Street Joe, right? .  It was just a past name that came to mind

You jumped off my thought elevator at the wrong floor.

I'm just saying that while I want Lynch to do well, we have seen him play (under a much more conservatve OC) and he really want ready

If you were a big fan then that was one more than any Steeler fan.

Please read his history.

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I've never said that.   He hasn't played enough to know

You did say he was bust, 'J'

We The Broncos went to Osweiler I said Lynch would never play in Denver but he isnt a bust yet because he's only nplayed 2 games.

I said he might be and you said he is already.

You may still be right.

But that's what the next 6 games are for, my man. That's what I'm saying. This is his test.

I sure didn't expect him to get this chance/

This is his time.  He has a lot of potential.

I hope he can win some games

But if he plays badly he wont be in Denver in 2019.

They have ton bring in a proven QB...and a coulpe will be available

You can bet on that

Edited by oldunclemark

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you were a big fan then that was one more than any Steeler fan.

Please read his history.

I know most his history. One of the first black QBs.   Filled in for Terry Bradshaw

Off the field.....problems. Sad End    I was just using a name out of the past.

I wasnt comparing Lynch to him...

Jefferson Street Joe was a favorite of mine...

23 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I know most his history. One of the first black QBs.   Filled in for Terry Bradshaw

Off the field.....problems. Sad End    I was just using a name out of the past.

I wasnt comparing Lynch to him...

Jefferson Street Joe was a favorite of mine...

He was actually the starter in 1974 over Bradshaw.

I guess you couldn't have used Joe Namath? :)

It sounds weird to say it, but in a way, the offense's problem in Denver is the defense. Two years ago that was one of the best defenses I'd ever seen, but they've fallen off really badly. I don't know if it's the pieces they've lost or that some guys are aging or what, but they're nowhere near where they were two seasons ago. I think getting rid of Wade Phillips was also a bad move. Now they're giving up more points and the offense has to score 20-30 to win, instead of 15-20. And they don't have a QB right now who's capable of doing that consistently. 

I think Elway will dive into the FA/trade market this offseason. The clock's ticking on that team and they could well end up under .500 this year. 

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

You did say he was bust, 'J'

We The Broncos went to Osweiler I said Lynch would never play in Denver but he isnt a bust yet because he's only nplayed 2 games.

I said he might be and you said he is already.

You may still be right.

But that's what the next 6 games are for, my man. That's what I'm saying. This is his test.

I sure didn't expect him to get this chance/

This is his time.  He has a lot of potential.

I hope he can win some games

But if he plays badly he wont be in Denver in 2019.

They have ton bring in a proven QB...and a coulpe will be available

You can bet on that

I've never said a player that hasn't played is a bust 

4 hours ago, GoPats said:

It sounds weird to say it, but in a way, the offense's problem in Denver is the defense. Two years ago that was one of the best defenses I'd ever seen, but they've fallen off really badly. I don't know if it's the pieces they've lost or that some guys are aging or what, but they're nowhere near where they were two seasons ago. I think getting rid of Wade Phillips was also a bad move. Now they're giving up more points and the offense has to score 20-30 to win, instead of 15-20. And they don't have a QB right now who's capable of doing that consistently. 

I think Elway will dive into the FA/trade market this offseason. The clock's ticking on that team and they could well end up under .500 this year. 

I wouldn't say it was the defense. The defense is wearing down and mentally checking out now because the offense hasn't been able to move the ball in almost 3 years. They are mentally whipped....and probably physically too. Wade Phillips defenses are typically high flying and take a lot of chances and thus put a lot of pressure on the offense and subsequently the defenders themselves too. I agree though losing him has really lost the mojo of that defense....I believe his calls were a big reason for their success. Offensively they are a mess....and that's mostly on John Elway. They have some talented players at the skill positions but the OL and QB situation is abysmal. They lost quite a bit when Peyton left. He covered up a lot of issues especially on the OL. He got the ball out quick and got them into favorable plays....at least up until he could no longer make all the throws for health reasons....and even then during that playoff run he took care of the ball and made plays when they needed them. Now they have no one that can get them into a favorable play and that line is so awful the young guys hold the ball too long. At this point there has been a drain in talent on the sideline and on the field that they just can't overcome....especially leadership....guys like Ware, Peyton, Phillips, Kubiak and so on...even some leaders like Vasquez on the OL and Ward on the back end...its what makes teams like NE so deadly...they have such small turnover inside the coaching box and at the top of the team (Tom) that the continuity gives them a huge advantage on teams trying to find their way. I look for Denver to fall back to obscurity without leadership. Those guys Elway brought in like Peyton and Ware aren't there anymore....vets that set and expect a winning culture.

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Paxton is who we thought he was. A big porcelain doll. Made of glass. Denver is beyond doomed

I’m sure Denver’s front office are kicking themselves. Before the injury, Lynch looked terrible, like they feared he would. 

On 11/27/2017 at 12:10 AM, dgambill said:

They will be in the market for a qb. Manning part two...or draft pick....what does John do....one thing is for sure the answer isn't on the roster.

"Washed up Manning" to Denver 2.0?

OMG say it isn't so.:eek::beg:lmao 

12 hours ago, Jules said:

"Washed up Manning" to Denver 2.0?

OMG say it isn't so.:eek::beg:lmao 

I think Eli can be a top 10 qb...but he needs better help around him at this point in his career. He can still make all the throws I believe...and he can still read defenses...he just doesn't have the support (OL specifically), running game, heck even a drafted WR...I  think they are running scrubs out there right now. That said Denvers running game and OL isn't much better than NY's. I think it would be a disaster. I think a better fit would be down in Jacksonville where they could win now with the defense and have a good running game. Plus him and Coughlin are familiar.

On 11/27/2017 at 12:10 AM, dgambill said:

They will be in the market for a qb. Manning part two...or draft pick....what does John do....one thing is for sure the answer isn't on the roster.

They will go hard after Kirk Cousins now that Garropolo is a 49er. 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They will go hard after Kirk Cousins now that Garropolo is a 49er. 

I imagine several teams go hard after him...but I would think Washington will keep him. They could even franchise tag him again and pay him like 30 million lol if they got desperate. But heck Jacksonville and Cleveland or Arizona or Buffalo or New York might....he is going to be well paid that is for sure.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I imagine several teams go hard after him...but I would think Washington will keep him. They could even franchise tag him again and pay him like 30 million lol if they got desperate. But heck Jacksonville and Cleveland or Arizona or Buffalo or New York might....he is going to be well paid that is for sure.

Isn't there a limit for the franchise tag, that you cannot tag a player for more than 2 consecutive years, that Washington has already done? I thought that was the case, maybe not. 

Oh, I found it. A Non-QB can be only tagged for 2 consecutive years and a QB can be tagged only for 3 consecutive years. So the Redskins have 1 more year they can tag but it would be cost prohibitive for them at this point.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Isn't there a limit for the franchise tag, that you cannot tag a player for more than 2 consecutive years, that Washington has already done? I thought that was the case, maybe not. 

Oh, I found it. A Non-QB can be only tagged for 2 consecutive years and a QB can be tagged only for 3 consecutive years. So the Redskins have 1 more year they can tag but it would be cost prohibitive for them at this point.

Yep Washington would be crazy to start over without him. I can't imagine how bad they would be without him. The Jets are kinda playing themselves out of top qb position and they may just decide lets get a ready made one. I think he would be a good fit there. They and Buffalo would actually be able to compete with NE if that was the case. If I was the Jets I would throw as much as I could at him. He seems to handle the spot light well and off field issues with team and management considering all he has been through. NY is a tough market for a rookie qb to come into and excel....I would hate to try and draft one there. Time will tell though but if I'm Jay Gruden and they let a franchise qb walk in Washington I'd turn in my notice...your suppose to be working towards a championship and you let my best player walk? Nah.