Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CBA Update? What's the news?

Nadine

Seriously? They didn't think of this in advance? They don't have the certification cards all fedexed up an ready to go?

Why don't they use the internet?

This irritates me

Indeed. But sorry to say, it only looks worse from there...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/21/reluctance-to-reconstitute-union-is-another-red-herring/

This would have never happened under Gene Upshaw.....

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora

On the issue of NFLPA recertification, people I speak to believe that could be done in a matter of hours, not days. Shouldn't be big delay

I'll fix it...

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora

On the issue of NFLPA recertification, people I speak to believe that could be done in a matter of hours, not days. Shouldn't be big delay

It could, but it looks like, when, or even if the players decide to re-certify, jeffery kessler wants to do it by sending union cards out to all players and have them filled out and sent back...

jeffery kessler is trying to blow this deal up every way he knows how to make it play out in court so he can line his pockets with more money than he ever even imagined possible....... :rolleyes2:

Seriously? They didn't think of this in advance? They don't have the certification cards all fedexed up an ready to go?

Why don't they use the internet?

This irritates me

Kessler apparently is holding up the deal in one way by ignoring all modern means of communication to insist on sending out union cards in the mail for players to sign and return.

My link

I've been sitting here all day checking PFT and other sites every 10 minutes or so, and I think I'm about to have a stroke my brain hurts so bad.

The owners approve of the new deal. And then there's this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/21/email-to-nflpa-reps-questions-nfl-procedure-to-end-lockout/

It sounds to me like none of them know their rumps from holes in the ground. This is just ridiculous! :madder:

That's about the best assessment I've heard all day.

Now excuse me, I think I'm gonna go slip into a coma at the hands of all the brain trauma I've suffered through today's NFL Labor shenanigans...

I am truly amazed at all of the fans who have read the 300 pages of the document the owners ratified yesterday evening. I know that the various reporters and analysts have told us in detail what is in it and I know that they would never lead us astray so it must be as they have explained it to us.

The best information I heard yesterday on the NFL Network was from the analyst who admitted that the owners' demand that the NFLPA re-certify as a union was a violation of federal law. Lets get real! This issue is like managing the federal budget deficit - everyone wants it done, but no one wants it to affect them.

The players recognize that this CBA does not just affect them. Because it is a 10 year CBA, it directly affects the lives of kids who are currently freshmen in high school. I have seen far more concern for the future of the game on the part of the players than by the owners. After all, the owners started this process over 2 years ago by opting out of the old CBA and have spent two years jerking everyone around. They never got serious about negotiating until they found out the players had the financial resources to lose a season.

I spent my career making sure that unions did not become attractive to my employees by being sure that they were treated openly and as fairly as humanly possible. Many fans equate "fairly" with "how much do they make," but that is only part of the equation.

Even saying this, I do not know what is in that deal other than what others have told us through the media which we all know are paragons of virtue and would never mislead us. If I was a player representative, I would not have voted yesterday either and would not until I had read the entire document in consultation with the other leaders in the organization. :FBundecided:

I am truly amazed at all of the fans who have read the 300 pages of the document the owners ratified yesterday evening. I know that the various reporters and analysts have told us in detail what is in it and I know that they would never lead us astray so it must be as they have explained it to us.

The best information I heard yesterday on the NFL Network was from the analyst who admitted that the owners' demand that the NFLPA re-certify as a union was a violation of federal law. Lets get real! This issue is like managing the federal budget deficit - everyone wants it done, but no one wants it to affect them.

The players recognize that this CBA does not just affect them. Because it is a 10 year CBA, it directly affects the lives of kids who are currently freshmen in high school. I have seen far more concern for the future of the game on the part of the players than by the owners. After all, the owners started this process over 2 years ago by opting out of the old CBA and have spent two years jerking everyone around. They never got serious about negotiating until they found out the players had the financial resources to lose a season.

I spent my career making sure that unions did not become attractive to my employees by being sure that they were treated openly and as fairly as humanly possible. Many fans equate "fairly" with "how much do they make," but that is only part of the equation.

Even saying this, I do not know what is in that deal other than what others have told us through the media which we all know are paragons of virtue and would never mislead us. If I was a player representative, I would not have voted yesterday either and would not until I had read the entire document in consultation with the other leaders in the organization. :FBundecided:

Nailed it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you don't like the sausage-making process, then stay out of the factory.

Things won't be happening for several more days, apparently.

Things look shaky at the moment; things should be resolved next week, hopefully, but we're almost to the point where a preseason game or two might be cancelled.

Of course, the players certainly wouldn't mind this, so maybe that's what they're delaying for...

Well, that's kind of a 'boutique' law isn't it? Wonder how it came to be?

The law is that ownership/management can't force their employees to unionize for any reason.

I'm not sure their actions and stipulations here are in violation of that law (they're offering a collective bargaining agreement, but there has to be a union on the other end of that, so the proposal is null if the union doesn't re-form anyways, no?), but the law is pretty clear.

• 8 months later...