Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You just can't play scared.

Rally5

I don't have the stats in front of me so feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, I watch at a SB with no sound so maybe this was covered.  Of all of our red zone touches did we ever attack the end zone?  Was the Doyle TD inside the 20?  Otherwise, we basically settled for field goals all day in the Red Zone in the hopes it would be enough....it never is.  Why on earth are we throwing a two-yard out route on 3 and 8 from the 10?  On more than one occasion today in the red zone instead of attacking the end zone we settled for field goals with no attempts to the end zone.  Then on the fourth and four with the game in the balance, we throw an long developing corner route after throwing short all day.  I just think a hallmark of this Pagano era is playing offensive "not to lose" as if we have a defense that can carry the day.  I can't wait for this to be over.  I thought we outplayed Cincy all day but played scared in the red zone.  

PS. since I don't have sound, did Cincy get that red flag thown in on time, seemed like no to me....

Yes, Cinci threw the flag in time.  I don't think we could have gotten the play off even if we tried.  It was a good challenge.

I don't know why Brissett won't even look at Moncrief.  He used to be the endzone threat.  He continues to go to Aiken who blew (at least one) a drive with a drop.  Rogers needs to get back in the rotation.

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yes, Cinci threw the flag in time.  I don't think we could have gotten the play off even if we tried.  It was a good challenge.

I don't know why Brissett won't even look at Moncrief.  He used to be the endzone threat.  He continues to go to Aiken who blew (at least one) a drive with a drop.  Rogers needs to get back in the rotation.

There's a lot of good stat guys on the board, I think Moncrief had zero targets and Aiken had at least two drops.  It should also be noted Mingo played a great game!  I'd love to see that effort every week.  Anyway, back to the topic, it doesn't matter who you put out there if you don't design/call anything for them, we play called today as if field goals were good enough.  I sat next to a Cincy fan and told him throughout, converting turnovers to field goals would haunt us...

4 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

There's a lot of good stat guys on the board, I think Moncrief had zero targets and Aiken had at least two drops.  It should also be noted Mingo played a great game!  I'd love to see that effort every week.  Anyway, back to the topic, it doesn't matter who you put out there if you don't design/call anything for them, we play called today as if field goals were good enough.  I sat next to a Cincy fan and told him throughout, converting turnovers to field goals would haunt us...

Basham got a sack

52 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I don't have the stats in front of me so feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, I watch at a SB with no sound so maybe this was covered.  Of all of our red zone touches did we ever attack the end zone?  Was the Doyle TD inside the 20?  Otherwise, we basically settled for field goals all day in the Red Zone in the hopes it would be enough....it never is.  Why on earth are we throwing a two-yard out route on 3 and 8 from the 10?  On more than one occasion today in the red zone instead of attacking the end zone we settled for field goals with no attempts to the end zone.  Then on the fourth and four with the game in the balance, we throw an long developing corner route after throwing short all day.  I just think a hallmark of this Pagano era is playing offensive "not to lose" as if we have a defense that can carry the day.  I can't wait for this to be over.  I thought we outplayed Cincy all day but played scared in the red zone.  

PS. since I don't have sound, did Cincy get that red flag thown in on time, seemed like no to me....

Over 10 seconds left before half, Colts ball on like the 8 yard line going in, with a timeout remaining and guess what we do???  

We let the clock lock run down to 3 seconds call the timeout and settle for the field goal...  Don’t get much more scared than that does it???  I’m hard pressed to think of 1 team in the league that wouldn’t take at least 1 shot at a touchdown there...

I give you another example of blowing it...we had a set where Mack was in the backfield and we went empty in the gun and got the exact man on match up we wanted.  The linebacker split out on Mack at which point I cheered on the inside thinking we'd go right to a wheel route as it was man coverage.  That should be a big play by any measure.  Instead, he runs a short in route which plays right to the slower defender and instead of a big play it's an incomplete pass.  The entire reason you split Mack out is to get that matchup, we got it and ran a two-yard route, I mean dag gone.....

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Over 10 seconds left before half, Colts ball on like the 8 yard line going in, with a timeout remaining and guess what we do???  

We let the clock lock run down to 3 seconds call the timeout and settle for the field goal...  Don’t get much more scared than that does it???  I’m hard pressed to think of 1 team in the league that wouldn’t take at least 1 shot at a touchdown there...

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!  I forgot about tthat, RIGHT!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

cut aiken, bostic, sheard. and clark, all are below average