Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two Coaching Hires (Defensive Back And Offensive Assistant)

MTC

I like the hire of Mike Gillhamer.

A little bio about him.

Coaching

Change has been a constant at safety for Mike Gillhamer during his six seasons with the Panthers, but the play of his unit has remained steady every year. After replacing a starting safety for three consecutive seasons, Gillhamer had two starters return in 2009 when Carolina finished fourth in the NFL in pass defense and percentage of passes intercepted.

However, Gilhammer is again faced with the challenge of finding a new starter in 2010, but he has proven adept at adjusting on the go. Despite having eight different starting safeties in the last six years, the Panthers have continued to rank among the league leaders in pass defense.

Two years ago, Gillhamer was challenged with helping 2008 third-round draft-choice Charles Godfrey make the transition from playing cornerback in college to lining up at safety in the NFL. With Gillhamer providing direction, Godfrey became the first rookie in team history to start all 16 games at safety, opening every game at free safety.

In 2007, Gillhamer had to find two new starters with the retirement of Mike Minter and departure of Shaun Williams. One of those - Chris Harris - did not arrive until training camp, but under Gillhamer's guidance set a team record with eight forced fumbles and led the team with three fumble recoveries. The other, Deke Cooper, tied for the team lead with three interceptions.

Gillhamer faced a similar challenge in 2006 with the loss of Marlon McCree in free agency. But Williams moved into the spot beside Minter, and the Panthers proceeded to rank fourth in pass defense and seventh overall.

Assuming responsibilities of the Panthers safeties in 2005, Gillhamer's task quickly became more difficult with a season-ending injury to returning starter Colin Branch in the preseason. Undaunted, he replaced Branch with McCree, who played an integral part in Carolina finishing third in the NFL in total defense.

Since returning to the NFL in 2004, Gillhamer has been a valuable member of the coaching staff. In his first season, his tutelage played a role in a Panthers defense that led the NFL with a team-record 26 interceptions and ranked second in the League with 38 take-aways. In addition to finishing third in total defense in 2005, Carolina ranked ninth in pass defense, fourth in yards per pass and fifth in percentage of passes intercepted with 23 interceptions en route to the playoffs.

Armed with four years of NFL coaching experience and 21 seasons on the college level, Gillhamer came to Carolina after spending 2003 as the defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Louisville. Prior to working at Louisville, he served as the secondary coach for two years at Oregon from 2001-02. In 2001, the Ducks finished second in the nation and were Fiesta Bowl champions.

Gillhamer began his NFL coaching career as an offensive assistant with the New York Giants in 1997, contributing on the same staff as Carolina head coach John Fox. He assisted current Panthers running backs coach Jim Skipper with the Giants running backs during his first three seasons before taking over as the running backs coach in 2000.

Gillhamer broke into coaching at the College of the Sequoias in Visalia, Calif., from 1979-83, overseeing the defensive line for one season before coaching the defensive backs for the remainder of his tenure. He then was the defensive backs coach at Weber State in 1984, Utah from 1985-89 and San Jose State from 1990-93. Gillhamer moved to Nevada from 1994-95, where he handled the secondary his first season and served as the defensive coordinator for one campaign in 1995, and worked as the secondary coach at Rutgers in 1996.

Playing and Personal

Gillhamer played defensive back at Carroll College in 1972, Wenatchee Junior College in 1973 and Humboldt State from 1974-75, where he was named the team's most valuable defensive back as a senior. He also played baseball and ran track for the Lumberjacks. After graduating with a degree in physical education from Humboldt State in 1976, he received his master's degree in special education from there in 1981.

History

Defensive back Carroll College 1972, Wenatchee Junior College 1973, Humboldt State 1974-75. College coach: College of the Sequoias 1979-83, Weber State 1984, Utah 1985-89, San Jose State 1990-93, Nevada 1994-95, Rutgers 1996, Oregon 2001-02, Louisville 2003. Pro coach: New York Giants 1997-2000, joined Panthers in 2004.

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/mike-gilhamer/ee7c55c3-566c-4551-b928-d490081033e2

As much as I love the guy that's the last thing we need. Yet another year on IR. He's a difference maker when he plays, it's just a shame he never plays.

A minimum, with incentives would how I would handle Bob. Plus our new strength and conditioning coach could maybe work magic.

A minimum, with incentives would how I would handle Bob. Plus our new strength and conditioning coach could maybe work magic.

Yep, I believe any team that is willing to take a chance on him will handle it that way, you'd almost have to in order to protect yourself, and surely Bob understands that too. I just remember an interview with him a few years back and he was asked if he was willing/able to change his style of play that would make it more conducive for him to stay healthy and prolong his career. His answer was "I only know one way to play" You can only launch yourself like a missile at so many people before you blow yourself up. It's possible that the new strength coach can do something for him, but SD's guy didn't make a difference.

Yep, I believe any team that is willing to take a chance on him will handle it that way, you'd almost have to in order to protect yourself, and surely Bob understands that too. I just remember an interview with him a few years back and he was asked if he was willing/able to change his style of play that would make it more conducive for him to stay healthy and prolong his career. His answer was "I only know one way to play" You can only launch yourself like a missile at so many people before you blow yourself up. It's possible that the new strength coach can do something for him, but SD's guy didn't make a difference.

Well he did last 3 games for them, thats a lil something lol.