Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Db Mike Newton

stonehart1234

wasen't he signed once before?

Yep, he was. He was let go by us and he played in the CFL for a year. I thought about the same too since his name sounded familiar.

He was behind Bethea and Bullitt on the depth chart, then we got Aaron Francisco to help us in 2010 instead of promoting him, IMO. Maybe he was not ready then and is ready now, who knows??? But now, we do have 2 other safeties for competition in Lefeged and Caldwell.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24466

Yep, he was. He was let go by us and he played in the CFL for a year. I thought about the same too since his name sounded familiar.

He was behind Bethea and Bullitt on the depth chart, then we got Aaron Francisco to help us in 2010 instead of promoting him, IMO. Maybe he was not ready then and is ready now, who knows??? But now, we do have 2 other safeties for competition in Lefeged and Caldwell.

http://sports.yahoo....l/players/24466

yeah he sounded familiar, cant really remember how he played for the Colts, so cant really compare him to our other safties, I think lefeged is doing a decent job, not really impressed by caldwell..

what happend to fransisco? thought the did a pretty good job, might be mistaken?

what happend to fransisco? thought the did a pretty good job, might be mistaken?

He was a good filler for a backup, nothing more than 3rd string, IMO. He is a better ST player than backup safety. He had to play behind everything because coaches asked him to do so being afraid of him getting beat. Also, Bethea had to cover two-thirds of the field since Francisco had to play closer to the CB knowing that his recovery speed was not as good as Bethea's. Bethea would also be the safety to come up to the box and make a play, so Francisco was the last line of defense.

I like this a lot. Always wondered why he was let go...

Mike Newton was one of those guys that consistently picked off Curtis Painter in training camp (not a hard thing to do but then when David Caldwell drops INTs that fall in his hands, it has to mean something as a free safety :)).

To me, this could also mean curtains for Bullitt, IMO. I don't think Grigson wants to mess around with another injury prone safety. The least Bullitt is on is a short leash, IMO.

He was a good filler for a backup, nothing more than 3rd string, IMO. He is a better ST player than backup safety. He had to play behind everything because coaches asked him to do so being afraid of him getting beat. Also, Bethea had to cover two-thirds of the field since Francisco had to play closer to the CB knowing that his recovery speed was not as good as Bethea's. Bethea would also be the safety to come up to the box and make a play, so Francisco was the last line of defense.

Mistaken I was :)

Newton is OK. He was cut because he didn't beat out Caldwell last year. Caldwell is OK he is not as physical as I would like. Maybe looking at him as a FS & moving Bethea to SS. Possible they " The new staff looked at tape & saw something the old staff didn't" Honestly I thought Newton was better than Caldwell, but Caldwell is bigger.