Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release Kendall Langford

TKnight24

3 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I understand your point but it is a saving against the cap moving forward....pennies make dollars.   Either way he isn't a Colt anymore and I was a fan of him.  It is a shame that a guy can have an almost injury free career and then bam, he is done.  I wish him well and hope he recovers enough to have a normal life.

Not to nitpick. The difference is just whether that extra $250K counts this year or next year. I don't think that was a factor. They could have designated him a post-June 1 release if they wanted. It seems like they just made the decision to release him at this point.

It does suck for Langford though. He's been an iron man his whole career, and now he's cut because he couldn't get healthy as fast as the team wanted him to. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Superman said:

That appears to be the case, now that they've filled the roster spot.

My question was about the timing. Why not wait a month and see how he comes along? It could be that he hasn't made enough progress over several checks, or any number of things that added up to this decision. I just don't understand why they waited until now if they don't want him, or why they didn't wait until cutdown day.

Your thoughts are my thoughts.     Why didn't we wait at least a little while longer?      It would've cost us nothing to wait 3 more weeks.

But,  perhaps our doctors said....    "nothing is going to change in that time frame."      Just my hunch....

Anyway.....     there's a nice story about the move on the website...    nice quotes from Ballard,  Pagano and Langford himself.      No one seems bitter.

Here's the link for anyone interested.....

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Kendall-Langford-Appreciative-Of-‘Fun-Ride’-With-Colts/542285e3-e956-4edd-a9cb-1ce824661aae

11 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Something that Pagano said this week did not mean anything to me when I read it but now seems to make sense.  One of the guys that he specifically praised was Margus Hunt.  I figured Hunt was a long-shot to make the roster and his spot may not be assured but maybe he made Langford expendable.  Plus it saves the team some money and gets them younger.

Or they may not related at all.  Just something that caught my attention.

Dear God!  :facepalm:

I don't really maen anything by it, I just always wanted to do that to one of your posts. :rock:

11 hours ago, Superman said:

That appears to be the case, now that they've filled the roster spot.

My question was about the timing. Why not wait a month and see how he comes along? It could be that he hasn't made enough progress over several checks, or any number of things that added up to this decision. I just don't understand why they waited until now if they don't want him, or why they didn't wait until cutdown day.

Could be that they waited to give him some time to get past his injury ? Dr's might be saying "no way Jose" for 2017 ? Plus they got a look at Stewart and like what they see ? Plus Anderson looks to be back to his old self. They came to the conclusion he wouldn't figure in for 2017 and are giving him some extra time to do what he wants . IMO .. not that unusual ?

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agree. I think the Hankins signing was really the beginning of the end for him. I still believe Hankins is going to play most of his snaps at DT. It's the spot Langford played for us, and Hankins was clearly an upgrade. Then at the DE spot you have a recovered/recovering Anderson and Hunt, who probably played out of position as a 4-3 DE in Cincy. There really wasn't anywhere for him. Especially at 31. Solid player though.

No, it's not.  Langford took over Corey Redding's role as the strong side DE.  Just look at the initial depth chart the colts released...Langford is listed as a DE, not DT. 

On 8/9/2017 at 6:08 PM, CR91 said:

Langford was as sturdy as they came and even he got hurt. Injury bug just doesn't like us

I am telling you, I thought the RCA dome was better, not sure if we have stats. 

We started in 2008 at LOS with the Peyton bursa sac, and it has been injury filled every year with key players. 2008 - Peyton starting 3-4 with a bum knee, Marvin declining etc. 

2009 - Gonzo goes down, Garcon and Collie step up, Freeney goes down in playoffs

2010 - Collie down, Clark down, Blair "bleeping" White catching passes and we make the playoffs

2011 - Peyton goes down for good

2012-2016 -  This is for 2012This is for 2013 and 2014this is for 2015, and this is for 2016

I'd rather have the RCA dome back. :) 

I am sure I am not the only one observing these numbers, can't remember the last time we finished in the top 10 healthiest squads.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I am telling you, I thought the RCA dome was better, not sure if we have stats. 

We started in 2008 at LOS with the Peyton bursa sac, and it has been injury filled every year with key players. 2008 - Peyton starting 3-4 with a bum knee, Marvin declining etc. 

2009 - Gonzo goes down, Garcon and Collie step up, Freeney goes down in playoffs

2010 - Collie down, Clark down, Blair "bleeping" White catching passes and we make the playoffs

2011 - Peyton goes down for good

2012-2016 - This is for 2013 and 2014 and this is for 2015 and this is for 2016

I'd rather have the RCA dome back. :) 

I agree 100%, not only that it was a better HFA = a lot louder. From 2004-2006, the Colts were 25-3 including the Playoffs. Almost automatic!