Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard seems to like experienced OL

Nobody

Hello again friends! I noticed this coincidence yesterday and considered writing something up about it.

Draft pick Zach Banner started his final 3 years at USC after being injured as a freshman, 27 starts.

UDFA Deyshawn Bond started all 4 years for borderline power 5 school Cincinnati.

UDFA Chris Mullen started 49(!!!) games at Rutgers.

Even physical freak UDFA Jerry Ugokwe started 42 straight games at William & Mary.

Going back to his days in KC- they took one OL in 2016 (Parker Ehringer) and he was a 4 year starter. In 2014 they took Mitch Morse, who started his last three years after being a key backup as a freshman, and Zach Fulton who started 40 games for Tennessee. Plus Eric Fisher first overall in 2013 (played all 4 years at CMU). Couldn't find start data for Eric Kush from Cal (PA) or Laurent Duvernay-Tardif from McGill. 

It seems a bit too deep to be coincidence. May be something to keep in mind for future drafts as to who we may be more or less high on.

I think thats the case with most OL that get drafted at all. Players, no matter the position, get knocked all the time for lack of experience.  I think its more of a coincidence at this point - at least I would say there isnt enough evidence as it pertains to OL. Hooker had one year. Hairston had 2 years total as a CB (he was a WR converted to CB). We'll see over time.

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think thats the case with most OL that get drafted at all. Players, no matter the position, get knocked all the time for lack of experience.  I think its more of a coincidence at this point - at least I would say there isnt enough evidence as it pertains to OL. Hooker had one year. Hairston had 2 years total as a CB (he was a WR converted to CB). We'll see over time.

Maybe it is the case with most drafted linemen, but I think my post is a pretty strong case for it being more than a coincidence. I didn't pick and choose guys, literally everyone in this list going back to 2013 played all 4 years. 

OL playing with their hands in the dirt during times of spread offenses are harder to find and project to the next level. Hence I do not blame any GM drafting for a position where boys from college on the OL or DL will be going against men at the next level, especially at a position where the transitions are the hardest amongst draft picks, mainly the interior one.

That is why OTs and outside rushers can be drafted a tad more on potential while interior OL almost always need some seasoning and strength to be considered top draft material, IMO.

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

Maybe it is the case with most drafted linemen, but I think my post is a pretty strong case for it being more than a coincidence. I didn't pick and choose guys, literally everyone in this list going back to 2013 played all 4 years. 

Im not saying you are wrong or anything...just saying I would like to see more history.  

You could be right, but Ballard has been GM for only a year, so we will see. You could be right...I certainly cant say you are wrong.

Grigson did too....

Kelly started for 3 years...

Clark started for 4 years...

Haeg started for 4 years...

And Blythe started for 3 years,  maybe 4....

Every GM likes experienced lineman,  but they're not always easy to find...     and when you do find them,  some have "issues"...

--- Heath issues...

--- Character issues...

--- Style of play issues (read: spread offense)

You're night wrong in your observation,  you just need to expand it a bit more for the bigger picture....