Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard

TKnight24

11 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm starting to notice Ballard loves the word "Look".    He starts almost anything important off with "Look".  LOL

LOL, but Look, you should look at it from the bright side:

The manager from my favorite soccer team (FC Copenhagen) always start his sentences with a "Nooo..."! haha 

I think that is a Norwegian thing, but whatever. He normally talks so fast that most people don't understand what he is saying anyway, leaving that initially "No" as all they get. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 6:04 PM, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm Not a fan of substituting quanity over quality.

Umm why does more draft picks mean less quality? Ballard does the homework I feel confident that with more picks he'll bring in a lot of great competition in all positions. It's a great philosophy imo.  

On 3/28/2017 at 7:24 PM, csmopar said:

Thank God, I hate that show. Adds drama to locker rooms that already have issues

Well what I don't get is how teams can be FORCED into doing it. Like, what the hell?  Hey Goodell, ever heard of invasion of privacy!?

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:15 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's a gut that eventually becomes a starter and contributor, over a period of a couple or few years.

Yes, that is one high bar, but...

Bill Polian was one.. Bills GM, 4 straight Super Bowls (fired because they didn't win any of them).  Carolina Panthers, went to NFCCG within 2 years. Colts- most team wins in the regular season for a full decade.

Bill mentioned on air once others that inspired him and had similar track record.  But it escape my memory at this time.  But I remeber so many other stories from Bill.  How he was mentored early by others.  This one, Bills head coach Kay Stephenson while Bill was Director Pro Player personnel...

"In 1984, we went 2–14, and that was the season prior to Bruce Smith being available in the draft. We had the No. 1 pick, and I said to Kay, “We can take all of these picks and trade them for veteran players who will likely help us keep our jobs.” And his response was, "No, we've got a responsibility to the fans and the franchise and to Mr. [Ralph] Wilson to do the right thing. You and I will decide who the best player is, and that's the guy we'll take.

So, we did that, and did not do well immediately. You can't in that situation. We were very akin to where Jacksonville is right now. We knew it was going to be a long rebuild, and Kay lost his job over it, but I've never forgotten his courage and his dedication to doing the right thing."

That and the Corey Simon saga seems to be rooted in Bill building from the draft, and doing well at it. I feel Ballard is a different casting from a similar mold.

One thing you might have not thought of. When Polian took over at Carolina he did not have to start from scratch so to say. The other NFL teams were required to supply players for both Carolina and Jacksonville.

I really liked Ballard's comments on the podcast regarding players with perceived character issues. The concept of planning around a young player for the period when they first have success and money shows a recognition that a young guy can make bad decisions. With planning their chances of long term success improve considerably. Second chances are fine, beyond that not so much. 

On 3/28/2017 at 6:04 PM, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm Not a fan of substituting quanity over quality.

When the entire process is like gambling, you want as many lottery tickets as possible.  There are very few sure things so why not get five $1 tickets for your $3 ticket?  I wouldn't trade out of a "sure thing" like the Luck pick that year but I sure would trade out of our pick this year if we can get another 1st later and a 2nd or 3rd in this or next years draft.

18 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Well what I don't get is how teams can be FORCED into doing it. Like, what the hell?  Hey Goodell, ever heard of invasion of privacy!?

Yep and to do it to teams that are struggling is just dumb. I could see the reason to do it to say a super bowl winner just to give fans an insight as to how the team won. However, I think the whole show is dumber than a box of rocks and should be scrapped.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep and to do it to teams that are struggling is just dumb. I could see the reason to do it to say a super bowl winner just to give fans an insight as to how the team won. However, I think the whole show is dumber than a box of rocks and should be scrapped.

there have been some good seasons, and some stinkers

i dont watch every episode i have found it entertaining at times.

outspoken head coaches make it more interesting, chuck would be a bore

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yep and to do it to teams that are struggling is just dumb. I could see the reason to do it to say a super bowl winner just to give fans an insight as to how the team won.

Exactly this. It really is like kicking to someone who is already laying down. It doesn't make any sense unless NFL just finds this cool:

hqdefault.jpg