Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tim Williams Owns up to Failing Multiple College Drug Tests

Article per Stampede Blue;

Tim Williams addresses off-the-field concerns

Alabama EDGE rusher Tim Williams is one of the most intriguing pass rush prospects in this year’s draft and is a guy that a number of Colts fans have interest in. There are some off-the-field questions about the talented pass rusher, however, and today he acknowledged that he has failed some drug tests in the past - though he said he’s learned from those mistakes and is owning them.

“Oh, yeah. I have failed some,” he said. “I’m a young player. I made decisions that I grew from. It’s all about being a man, owning up to your situations, owning up to your mistakes. I’m not here laughing around joking. I know I’ve got something to prove. I’m obviously behind the 8-ball so I’m here to prove not only to myself but to every organization that if they take me, they’re going to get the best player here.”

Can we now have an end to this 'It's only a rumour' nonsense? For me this excludes him from round 1.

10 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Article per Stampede Blue;

Tim Williams addresses off-the-field concerns

Alabama EDGE rusher Tim Williams is one of the most intriguing pass rush prospects in this year’s draft and is a guy that a number of Colts fans have interest in. There are some off-the-field questions about the talented pass rusher, however, and today he acknowledged that he has failed some drug tests in the past - though he said he’s learned from those mistakes and is owning them.

“Oh, yeah. I have failed some,” he said. “I’m a young player. I made decisions that I grew from. It’s all about being a man, owning up to your situations, owning up to your mistakes. I’m not here laughing around joking. I know I’ve got something to prove. I’m obviously behind the 8-ball so I’m here to prove not only to myself but to every organization that if they take me, they’re going to get the best player here.”

Can we now have an end to this 'It's only a rumour' nonsense? For me this excludes him from round 1.

Does the opposite for me. He handled it really well.

24 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Does the opposite for me. He handled it really well.

You have to remember those players have been prepared and coached for those questions for months. It's good that he seems to be honest about it and is taking responsibility(I think). It's interesting to know when those failed tests were and if he's been clean for a while and for how long. If he's been clean for say a 18 months or something of that sort, I'd be more willing to give him leeway, if he failed a test this season, then I'd probably cross him off the board or at the very least drop him down to 3d round grade.

Failing 1 drug test is a mistake. Relatively understandable and excusable. Failing 'some' is an issue. An issue we can't afford to take a risk on right now. If we were already contenders and had a title ready roster then that would be different. But right now we need safe, impact players to be our defensive nucleus for years to come.

I can't see Tim being that right now.

He handled the question fine but he's had months to prepare answers for that. And quite honestly, I'm not saying he does or he doesn't, but if he did have a weed problem, would he come out and say that in what is essentially a job interview? I know I wouldn't.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

You have to remember those players have been prepared and coached for those questions for months. It's good that he seems to be honest about it and is taking responsibility(I think). It's interesting to know when those failed tests were and if he's been clean for a while and for how long. If he's been clean for say a 18 months or something of that sort, I'd be more willing to give him leeway, if he failed a test this season, then I'd probably cross him off the board or at the very least drop him down to 3d round grade.

A good point I hadn't considered. Nontheless, he is a special talent in my eyes. At the end of the day we can only hope with any prospect with character concerns.

Carries himself great. Talks great, seems extremely mature and takes the NFL serious. Of course the peanut gallery will still try to find any negatives they can though, laughable tbh. 

DID NOT FAIL A TEST AT THE COMBINE LIKE RANDY GREGORY. Does NOT have mental issues like randy Gregory. 

How is Tyrann Mathiue doing in the league??

Give me Tim at #15

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wanna know why he wasn't dismissed from the team if he failed multiple tests like Devonte Fields did at TCU.

He was suspended a couple times.  I don't remember if they gave reasons.  

He he sounds like a bright kid, I wouldn't be too concerned, unless he changes his name to Ricky.

50 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He was suspended a couple times.  I don't remember if they gave reasons.  

He he sounds like a bright kid, I wouldn't be too concerned, unless he changes his name to Ricky.

Do you know the games he was suspended for?

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

Do you know the games he was suspended for?

One was KY, but I think it was for the gun charge.  Our paper said he was suspended a couple times but doesn't list them.  

Saban an acts like he didn't know about the failed drug tests.  Don't know how that's possible.