Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do the Colts need to do to win the division?

OLD FAN MAN

4 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm glad you agree. I can't believe how many Colts fan really believe we don't have a capable roster and are the worst team in the division. We should have been 10-6 this year but lost a few games to bad play calls and coaching. 

Outside of Luck, Hilton and a couple others, this roster is crap.    The bench depth is bad too.

With the starters (mostly Luck), they could luck into a playoff spot next year.   That is only if injuries don't happen.  

So the odds are long.

14 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

In my opinion the first thing is building a D that can stop the run, rush te passer and force turnovers. With a decent D and improving O-line we can be there again. Wild Card games showed the importance of D IMO pretty well.

i agree

Winning the south would be much easier than becoming a Superbowl contender.

I don't think we need to do much defensively to win the South, even though our defense is bad, I think we can win the South with only a few offensive improvements, either we need the O-line to start playing like the Cowboys, or we need more quick routes to our WR, better offensive play calling and the WR need to learn how to get separation and really perfect their route running. It won't take a balanced team to win the South.

Now to become anything other than an "AFC Finalist" In addition to the above, we really need some pass rushers and linebackers. I think we have what we need to be able to cover over the middle from the Safety position, but we really need ILB, OLB, and a fearsome pass rush.

On 1/8/2017 at 2:14 PM, NorthernBlue said:

1) Improve the offensive line-as in have all the young guys they have develop and get better, it should allow the offense to be more efficient, consistent and harder to stop

2) Just get talent on D. You are not filling all the holes in one off season. But if we can just get some young talent, be it in the front seven or secondary, it should help improve the defense and make them more feasible next season.

3) Improve the offensive play calling - The Vikings, Packers and Jets games are proof to me that Chud and Chuck can accomplish this. Quit insisting on the deep ball when it's not working and stop force feeding TY the ball (as great as he is, it makes it quite simple to stop the offense if that's all they do). Use short crossing routes and the run game to allow the deep passing attack to work, like against the Vikings.

I wouldn't hold your breath for #3.  It's been obvious since for a few years now that the offense functions (and protects the QB)better when it utilizes the short rhythm passing game.  Why Chuck doesn't get this is beyond me and one of the major reasons why he should be gone.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Outside of Luck, Hilton and a couple others, this roster is crap.    The bench depth is bad too.

With the starters (mostly Luck), they could luck into a playoff spot next year.   That is only if injuries don't happen.  

So the odds are long.

Yes. It is bottom 12 in the league, but with a good offseason we are right there. Luck can lead this team anywhere with just an average defense. Geathers, Davis, Anderson, Edwin Jackson, Ridgeway are all players that can potentially make this defense make drastic improvements next year. We had a very unfortunate year of injuries. I'll apologize to every body on this forum if we do not make the playoffs next year, but we will. Our offensive line is gonna improve, a healthy Moncrief, and hopefully improved Dorset is gonna be hard to stop. Imagine if we pick up Foreman in the 2nd. Top 3 offense. 

7 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Yes. It is bottom 12 in the league, but with a good offseason we are right there. Luck can lead this team anywhere with just an average defense. Geathers, Davis, Anderson, Edwin Jackson, Ridgeway are all players that can potentially make this defense make drastic improvements next year. We had a very unfortunate year of injuries. I'll apologize to every body on this forum if we do not make the playoffs next year, but we will. Our offensive line is gonna improve, a healthy Moncrief, and hopefully improved Dorset is gonna be hard to stop. Imagine if we pick up Foreman in the 2nd. Top 3 offense. 

I gotta say, you are optimistic. 

If healthy, I think the Colts defense is still near the bottom of the league.   If we can get some pass rushers, and the O-line plays well (not just improved), perhaps they will win 10 games.   But that is if everyone is healthy.   The Colts depth worries me more than anything.   All teams face injuries and the Colts were not even one of the teams with the most injuries.  

15 hours ago, Myles said:

I gotta say, you are optimistic. 

If healthy, I think the Colts defense is still near the bottom of the league.   If we can get some pass rushers, and the O-line plays well (not just improved), perhaps they will win 10 games.   But that is if everyone is healthy.   The Colts depth worries me more than anything.   All teams face injuries and the Colts were not even one of the teams with the most injuries.  

I'm not really as optimistic as I think you believe. I really believe the cowboys or raiders will win the super bowl

next year at this point. I just believe we make the playoffs in this division. Even if I was being way to optimistic saying I think we are going to win the Super Bowl, some fans can't help but have that never-ending feeling that your team will make the playoffs.