Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

Baseball and gambling???

Is there a chance for Pete Rose to be allowed involved in baseball again? 

MLB officially gets into the gambling business and believes its slow pace is a selling point.

As per Darren Rovell:

"MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says slower pace of play of baseball is an advantage in gambling as “it gives an opportunity to be creative with respect to the types of wagers” that could be made in between plays."

Lol. Didn't MLB just institute rules on number of mound visits to improve pace of play. Now, baseball's slow pace can be a strong point? :scratch:

Anyway, I am just surprised that baseball is now getting involved in the gambling business but are keeping Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame.

Link to article:

MLB Partnering with MGM for Gambling

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Baseball and gambling???

Is there a chance for Pete Rose to be allowed involved in baseball again? 

MLB officially gets into the gambling business and believes its slow pace is a selling point.

As per Darren Rovell:

"MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says slower pace of play of baseball is an advantage in gambling as “it gives an opportunity to be creative with respect to the types of wagers” that could be made in between plays."

Lol. Didn't MLB just institute rules on number of mound visits to improve pace of play. Now, baseball's slow pace can be a strong point? :scratch:

Anyway, I am just surprised that baseball is now getting involved in the gambling business but are keeping Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame.

Link to article:

MLB Partnering with MGM for Gambling

Not saying it's right but it was bound to happen. Millions of people watch Baseball and millions of people love to gamble so not surprising.

-FWIW I think Pete Rose belongs in the HOFame eventhough I think he's a cocky butt and what he did was wrong. He's the all-time Hits leader and didn't cheat to get those hits like take steroids. 

Per Yahoo Sports, the Mets and the Mariners are close on a trade for Robinson Canó, Edwin Díaz

Link to article:

Mets Close to Trading for Cano and Diaz

Quote:

Canó hit .303/.374/.471 with 10 home runs and 50 RBI in 348 plate appearances in 2018. He missed time between May 14 and August 13 serving an 80-game suspension after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance.

Díaz, 24, was arguably baseball’s best closer, leading with 57 saves. He also posted a 1.96 ERA with 124 strikeouts and 17 walks in 73 1/3 innings.

I'm not happy getting Cano but Diaz is young and we need a closer; so, I like getting Diaz. Mets will give up some prospects, Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak. I hope we keep McNeil who is a contact hitter which the Mets need to keep. It seems that Seattle was interested in McNeil.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For who? Mike Trout :banana:

Player to be named later or cash considerations. Not gonna lie, he was a great pinch hitter, glad we still have Bote, Almora and Happ, for now. Have also signed/traded for  the following...

LHP Kyle Ryan from Detroit’s triple A

INF Ronald Torreyes from the Yankees 

No decision on Addison Russell.

5 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Player to be named later or cash considerations. Not gonna lie, he was a great pinch hitter, glad we still have Bote, Almora and Happ, for now. Have also signed/traded for  the following...

LHP Kyle Ryan from Detroit’s triple A

INF Ronald Torreyes from the Yankees 

No decision on Addison Russell.

Yeah I liked La Stella. I am sure more moves are to come.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:48 PM, NFLfan said:

That's a good one. Yankees fans were high on him. I'm surprised he is traded.

@coltsfansince65 What can you tell us about Torreyes? Thank you. :)

I liked Torreyes. Not many players can put up the numbers he has playing sparingly & at 4 different positions. (281.BA, 301. with RISP) It seems the Yankees have moved on from Torreyes to make room for the pitcher they got from the Angels. (Bridwell) Bridwell is coming off of elbow surgery & will probably start the season in triple A but I think he adds some good starter depth to the team eventually. Also, it looks like it will be an opportunity for Tyler Wade to fill the role of Torreyes going forward. A lot of Yankee fan (myself included) will miss Torreyes.

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I liked Torreyes. Not many players can put up the numbers he has playing sparingly & at 4 different positions. (281.BA, 301. with RISP) It seems the Yankees have moved on from Torreyes to make room for the pitcher they got from the Angels. (Bridwell) Bridwell is coming off of elbow surgery & will probably start the season in triple A but I think he adds some good starter depth to the team eventually. Also, it looks like it will be an opportunity for Tyler Wade to fill the role of Torreyes going forward. A lot of Yankee fan (myself included) will miss Torreyes.

Well in a strange turn of events the Cubs did not tender Torreyes.....so we had him for a day and let him go? I’m reading they’re going to re-sign him but what gives?

In other news 7 other players were tendered, including Russell. Cubs and Russell sent out statements basically saying that they are committed to helping him straighten out his life and help him turn into a role model for fans to respect. Theo said that his actions occurred under his watch and he feels committed to make it right both to Russell and his now ex wife. Russell apologized to his ex wife, his teammates, and the fans for his actions and all but confessed to the domestic violence in his statement, said he had done a lot of soul searching and has sought several different types of help and is committed to turning his life around and becoming a positive role model and regaining the fans trust in him. Interesting situation.

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Well in a strange turn of events the Cubs did not tender Torreyes.....so we had him for a day and let him go? I’m reading they’re going to re-sign him but what gives?

In other news 7 other players were tendered, including Russell. Cubs and Russell sent out statements basically saying that they are committed to helping him straighten out his life and help him turn into a role model for fans to respect. Theo said that his actions occurred under his watch and he feels committed to make it right both to Russell and his now ex wife. Russell apologized to his ex wife, his teammates, and the fans for his actions and all but confessed to the domestic violence in his statement, said he had done a lot of soul searching and has sought several different types of help and is committed to turning his life around and becoming a positive role model and regaining the fans trust in him. Interesting situation.

Hadn't heard any of this. That's very confusing regarding Torreyes. Not sure what to make of this. I hope Russell can indeed do a 180.

The Cardinals traded for first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. That is a huge addition to their offense that will help them make the playoffs.

What will other teams in the Central Division do to compete? What moves should the Cubs make to improve their chances of making the playoffs again.

It is just a few months til pitchers and catchers. :thmup:

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

The Cardinals traded for first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. That is a huge addition to their offense that will help them make the playoffs.

What will other teams in the Central Division do to compete? What moves should the Cubs make to improve their chances of making the playoffs again.

"What will other teams in the Central Division do to compete?" We all know the Brewers were a fluke in 2018 with their silly 1 run wins and walkoffs. The Cubs on the other hand have been dominant since 2015 in reality with 97 wins in 2015, 103 wins in 2016 and a WS Title, 92 wins in 2017, and 95 wins in 2018. Not too worried as a Cubs fan but a nice a pickup by the Cards, Jay has to be very pleased with this. Schmidt is a solid player.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"What will other teams in the Central Division do to compete?" We all know the Brewers were a fluke in 2018 with their silly 1 run wins and walkoffs. The Cubs on the other hand have been dominant since 2015 in reality with 97 wins in 2015, 103 wins in 2016 and a WS Title, 92 wins in 2017, and 95 wins in 2018. Not too worried as a Cubs fan but a nice a pickup by the Cards, Jay has to be very pleased with this. Schmidt is a solid player.

Lol. You did not tell me what you thought the Cubs should/will do. Upgrade pitching? Add another slugger to counter the Goldschmidt move? Improve defense? Stay put (which never happens). Do they improve the defense? 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. You did not tell me what you thought the Cubs should/will do. Upgrade pitching? Add another slugger to counter the Goldschmidt move? Improve defense? Stay put (which never happens). Do they improve the defense? 

I do not think we have to do much is why I didn't answer it, the Cubs track record and their Roster speaks for itself. Getting rid of Chili Davis counters the Cards move :funny:. Yeah we got eliminated early but I seriously doubt anyone still wants to face us in 2019.  :thmup:

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do not think we have to do much is why I didn't answer it, the Cubs track record and their Roster speaks for itself. Getting rid of Chili Davis counters the Cards move :funny:. Yeah we got eliminated early but I seriously doubt anyone still wants to face us in 2019.  :thmup:

Ah. Okay. I think you need another pitcher. Is Hamels signed for another year? Is Darvish on track to return by Spring Training?

Is Murph a free agent?

Anyone have any interest in Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer of the Indians?

Quote:

As baseball’s trade market churns leading into next week’s winter meetings, the Cleveland Indians continue to explore dealing Trevor Bauer or Corey Kluber, their best starting pitchers and linchpins of the three-time reigning American League Central champions, league sources familiar with the talks told Yahoo Sports.

See article for more info:

Indians Looking to Cut Payroll

Cubs biggest need is pitching, mainly bullpen. Maybe starting as well depending on the Darvish Fiasco. Not sure what they’ll do with Murphy, he’s a clutch hitter(although he went cold toward end of season) but his defense is lacking IMO. Hope our new hitting coach, Iapoce, gets the bats going again, those 1-2 run games were painful!!!!!!

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, NFLfan said:

Anyone have any interest in Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer of the Indians?

Quote:

As baseball’s trade market churns leading into next week’s winter meetings, the Cleveland Indians continue to explore dealing Trevor Bauer or Corey Kluber, their best starting pitchers and linchpins of the three-time reigning American League Central champions, league sources familiar with the talks told Yahoo Sports.

See article for more info:

Indians Looking to Cut Payroll

Yes the Cards are interested in Miller

5 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Lol have not been on due to bad turn around at work with a death in the wifes family .  Lol did anyone else notice Paul Goldschmidt is a Cardinal ? A major boost in their line up.     https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/cardinals-introduce-paul-goldschmidt/c-301564678

So good to have you back, Jay. :)

That is a great acquisition. I posted a comment about it yesterday. You must be ecstatic. Why didn't the Mets go after him. :scratch: 

I did not like the Cano trade (too much money, not sure what he has left, history of PEDs), but I do like getting the young pitcher Diaz.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is a great acquisition. I posted a comment about it yesterday. You must be ecstatic. Why didn't the Mets go after him. :scratch: 

I did not like the Cano trade (too much money, not sure what he has left, history of PEDs), but I do like getting the young pitcher Diaz.

Yes who wouldn't be happy to have him . Good in the field and one of the better and most consistent hitters in the league with power. Now they may back off Harper , 400 mil is too much . We will see on the Cano deal , but sports writers say its good for the Mets.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:47 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Now that I seen post, I read where Theo is very worried about Goldy in St Louis , he doesn't think they can stand pat. Also if not for Murphy where did the record end ? He was a boost.

12 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Yes who wouldn't be happy to have him . Good in the field and one of the better and most consistent hitters in the league with power. Now they may back off Harper , 400 mil is too much . We will see on the Cano deal , but sports writers say its good for the Mets.

Why would you want that headache in Harper? And I believe he has Boras as his agent. I don't want Harper or Machado. Trout might be nice but I don't think he is going anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Why would you want that headache in Harper? And I believe he has Boras as his agent. I don't want Harper or Machado. Trout might be nice but I don't think he is going anywhere. 

Yes Trout is a great player . Some don't realize how good Goldy is , his stats are staggering over the last 6 years . Only injured once , broken hand , averages 155 games a year. He adjusts well at the plate really well to the way teams try to pitch. Not many holes in his swing , able to go to all fields . I love the trade. Ozuna had shoulder worked on I expect he will be back to how he played and hit for the Marlins .

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think the key was Carson Kelly , the D-Backs needed a catcher , Kelly will make a good one. Very good defensively and think he will be more than adequate hitting . He a gaps hitter , not a big power guy.  Weaver is a young pitcher yet and should fare pretty well in that ballpark , the real key for him is a little more meat on his bones. Kelly became expendable as Molinas replacement when Kizner passed him on the depth chart at AAA Memphis , to become the apparent eventual replacement for Yadi. Young the second baseman was rising through the system quickly . Was tearing up AA with power , the short time he was up with AAA in Sept. he held his own. Not far from MLB ready. Add in the B draft pick the D-Backs didn't give Goldy away like some think. However it didn't hurt the Cards much , because these players were not big in their plans for the near future with the emergence of other players. I also see them trading Jose Martinez to an AL team hes a 300 hitter hands down and will hit 20 hr's a year. They just don't have a place to play him everyday . He can play RF or 1rst but hes not a great one on defense at either.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:08 PM, NFLfan said:

Per Yahoo Sports, the Mets and the Mariners are close on a trade for Robinson Canó, Edwin Díaz

Link to article:

Mets Close to Trading for Cano and Diaz

Quote:

Canó hit .303/.374/.471 with 10 home runs and 50 RBI in 348 plate appearances in 2018. He missed time between May 14 and August 13 serving an 80-game suspension after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance.

Díaz, 24, was arguably baseball’s best closer, leading with 57 saves. He also posted a 1.96 ERA with 124 strikeouts and 17 walks in 73 1/3 innings.

I'm not happy getting Cano but Diaz is young and we need a closer; so, I like getting Diaz. Mets will give up some prospects, Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak. I hope we keep McNeil who is a contact hitter which the Mets need to keep. It seems that Seattle was interested in McNeil.

Cubs are at the luxury tax and even though Ricketts have billions it’s a point of they don’t want to set a precedent of going over. They’ve been shedding salary. If they make a move it will be for a reliever/bullpen imo and I think they will actually try to make moves in the trade market to improve. I heard they were really interested in Arenado but I can’t see that happening. They still had the best offense in NL in first half of season so maybe they just want to roll it back out there...but I look for them to bring in an upgrade at second and some competition in center. Look for guys like Happ, Schwerber, and Almora to be on the block.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:34 AM, NFLfan said:

Great move. Cardinals offense is legit scary. NL Central is a buzzsaw! 

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Cubs are at the luxury tax and even though Ricketts have billions it’s a point of they don’t want to set a precedent of going over. They’ve been shedding salary. If they make a move it will be for a reliever/bullpen imo and I think they will actually try to make moves in the trade market to improve. I heard they were really interested in Arenado but I can’t see that happening. They still had the best offense in NL in first half of season so maybe they just want to roll it back out there...but I look for them to bring in an upgrade at second and some competition in center. Look for guys like Happ, Schwerber, and Almora to be on the block.

Great move. Cardinals offense is legit scary. NL Central is a buzzsaw! 

Yes it is Brother I think the whole division is good top to bottom.

12 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Absolutely he deserved it , he had great years in Chicago , St louis and if im not mistaken Boston ?He should've been in sooner.

Yep...a great reliever before it became envogue. Baines on the other hand.....hmmm..can I say I question that one. I mean all the guys that can't get into the Hall and he is who does. He was a great player...but HOF....me thinks not. I mean it only takes 12 of 16 voters to get in (mostly ex players and managers etc)....clearly a push back to the analytics crowd lol. Seemed more like he was buddy buddy with guys on the committee than anything.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Baines on the other hand.....hmmm..can I say I question that one. I mean all the guys that can't get into the Hall and he is who does. He was a great player...but HOF....me thinks not. I mean it only takes 12 of 16 voters to get in (mostly ex players and managers etc)....clearly a push back to the analytics crowd lol. Seemed more like he was buddy buddy with guys on the committee than anything.

I don't disagree but I did not follow the American League so much. I remember him as a White Sox player. Am I right?  

Who do you think should have been voted in before him? Some of the guys I saw that he was going against in the voting were Albert Belle, Joe Carter, and some others. Joe Carter is a guy who hit a dramatic HR to win a World Series for the Blue Jays. I may have put him in first...but I am not looking at stats. Maybe Baines has him beat by a lot. I am going solely by recollection. Baines was also a quiet guy. Maybe that is why I don't recall so much. 

Archived