Indianapolis Colts
Jay Kirk

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2020 season, Nationals Repeat?

11 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Wont be long and we will be talking spring training

Can’t wait.:rock:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Has a team ever made 4 straight NLCS other than the Cards from 2011-2014? If they have I don't remember it? Cards made 4 in a row from 2011-2014, Cubs just made 3 from 2015-2017 so if they make it in 2018 they could match the Cards.

Its a good question , I really doubt it , I was thinking Reds big Red machine but know that's not possible because of the Pirates in the same era and different format for playoffs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Its a good question , I really doubt it , I was thinking Reds big Red machine but know that's not possible because of the Pirates in the same era and different format for playoffs.

I did some major research Jay. Here are the results - Since the 1947 merger when African Americans were allowed to play, the teams that have made the most NLCS in a row are:

1. Braves from 1995-1999, they made 5 in row. Braves won the WS in 1995.

2. Cardinals from 2011-2014, they made 4 in a row. Cards won the WS in 2011.

-So if the Cubs make it in 2018 they would tie the Cards for 2nd all-time as they have made it from 2015-2017. Cubs won the WS in 2016.

- The most the BigRedMachine of the 70's made it in a row was 2 in 1975/1976. Reds won the WS both of those seasons The 80's Mets never even made it 2 years in a row just to bring up other power house teams. Mets of course won the WS in 1986.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did some major research Jay. Here are the results - Since the 1947 merger when African Americans were allowed to play, the teams that have made the most NLCS in a row are:

1. Braves from 1995-1999, they made 5 in row. Braves won the WS in 1995.

2. Cardinals from 2011-2014, they made 4 in a row. Cards won the WS in 2011.

-So if the Cubs make it in 2018 they would tie the Cards for 2nd all-time as they have made it from 2015-2017. Cubs won the WS in 2016.

- The most the BigRedMachine of the 70's made it in a row was 2 in 1975/1976. Reds won the WS both of those seasons The 80's Mets never even made it 2 years in a row just to bring up other power house teams. Mets of course won the WS in 1986.

The team that came to mind when you originally asked the question was the Dodgers of the 1950s with Snyder, Campanella, Newcombe, etc. They went to the World Series four out of five years from 1952 through 1956. They did not win the pennant in 1954, but I could not find whether they made the NLCS that year. 

I can't believe I forgot about the Braves. They were a thorn on the Mets' side for years!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The team that came to mind when you originally asked the question was the Dodgers of the 1950s with Snyder, Campanella, Newcombe, etc. They went to the World Series four out of five years from 1952 through 1956. They did not win the pennant in 1954, but I could not find whether they made the NLCS that year. 

I can't believe I forgot about the Braves. They were a thorn on the Mets' side for years!

The Dodgers did not make the Playoffs in 1954 to answer your question. Yeah the Braves are easily forgotten because they only won 1 WS and the year they won it was the strike shortened season.

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, NFLfan said:

I'm with you on the Braves NFL how could I have forgot other than I'm getting old .:lecture: :spit:

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2017 at 5:35 PM, Jay Kirk said:

I'm with you on the Braves NFL how could I have forgot other than I'm getting old .:lecture: :spit:

Lol. Nah. You're just busy and have more important things on your mind. :)

Christmas is almost here. We don't always see each other here. Merry Christmas to all my buddies on the Baseball thread. You're among the best fans here!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. Nah. You're just busy and have more important things on your mind. :)

Christmas is almost here. We don't always see each other here. Merry Christmas to all my buddies on the Baseball thread. You're among the best fans here!

Back at you NFL and Merry Christmas all if I don't see you all prior .

• Thanks 1

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my forum peeps!!! 

Side note: Looks like Cubs are considering Darvish.......not sure I like the idea....Arrietas status still unknown though so have to do something...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Everything Will Be Okay 

Signed Cishek and Morrow 

I have a feeling Jake is gone too. I just pray he doesn't go to the Dodgers or Yankees.

• Like 2

Wow Rockies paying Wade 52 Million? That’s great for him!!!! Can’t see Theo paying that much for a closer. Wonder if we do lose Arrieta if we end up picking up Darvish...

Is it Spring yet?????

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Wow Rockies paying Wade 52 Million? That’s great for him!!!! Can’t see Theo paying that much for a closer. Wonder if we do lose Arrieta if we end up picking up Darvish...

Is it Spring yet?????

Not a big Darvish fan. If we sign him and he wins his first 4 or 5 starts I may change my tune. He was bad in the WS. I love Jake so until I see someone pitch like him in a Cub uni, it will be tough for me to say anyone can match him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not a big Darvish fan. If we sign him and he wins his first 4 or 5 starts I may change my tune. He was bad in the WS. I love Jake so until I see someone pitch like him in a Cub uni, it will be tough for me to say anyone can match him.

Agreed!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think Darvish would fair well long term in Wrigley . I think Jake is more solid with the art of pitching .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

I don't think Darvish would fair well long term in Wrigley . I think Jake is more solid with the art of pitching .

I agree. Cubs should quit being stubborn and just give Jake his contract. If Theo is going to give Darvish a boatload of money on a longterm deal, might as well keep Jake who is better suited to pitch in Wrigley.

• Like 1

Sources in Chicago (Chicago Tribune) say Cubs just offered Jake Arrieta 110 Mill over 4 years. Jake will probably take it as he said he never wanted leave per sources close to the team. Man I hope this happens.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Does anyone need a MLB Player because the Pirates are having a Fire Sale

I know it looks like it because they were big names, but two guys isn't a fire sale.

If it were me, though, we've got a couple more 'up and comers' I wouldn't mind dumping on you unless they pick it up soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I know it looks like it because they were big names, but two guys isn't a fire sale.

If it were me, though, we've got a couple more 'up and comers' I wouldn't mind dumping on you unless they pick it up soon.

Who are the 'up and comers' that you are referring to? 

Who else besides McCutchen was traded away?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Who are the 'up and comers' that you are referring to? 

Who else besides McCutchen was traded away?

We traded Cole to the Astros a couple of days ago. He's been a bit underwhelming for a supposed 'ace', and we have a couple of good prospects that may be ready to bring up.

I'm starting to lose a bit of patience with Marte, and Polanco.

Both have a lot of promise, and are still young, but it's time  each stepped it up a bit. Especially with Cutch gone now.

I'll miss Cutch, but it was time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, buccolts said:

Harrison wants out

I will say not much movement in the FA market , with spring training a little over 3 weeks away. Still some good pitchers and position players to be had. NFL congrats to your Vikings

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

I will say not much movement in the FA market , with spring training a little over 3 weeks away. Still some good pitchers and position players to be had. NFL congrats to your Vikings

One reason is that players are dragging things out

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

One reason is that players are dragging things out

Yes Boros seems to be the agent of most. Hes all about the cash

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Still no Jake Arrieta news. I haven't Posted in here lately because nothing big has happened except for McCutchen getting traded to the Giants.

FA market should heat up , time getting short.

• Like 2

The Mets have not done much except sign Jay Bruce who they had traded to the Indians last summer. Most Mets fans, including me, are okay with bringing Bruce back. We also avoided arbitration with many of our young pitchers (Harvey, deGrom, Syndergaard).

Baseball has been so far from my mind that I forgot how to spell Syndergaard.lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest word on Yu Darvish is, the Yankees want him badly and offered him a team friendly contract = 6 years for 120 Mill where Yu gets 30 Mill in the first 2 seasons. I hope this happens because then the Cubs will probably be all in on Jake at that point. Jake is simply the better Pitcher and is clutch when it counts. He is a TrueCub and needs to stay in Wrigley where he dominates.

• Like 1

Cubs latest offer to Jake Arrieta is for 4 years/110 Mill - which was last week. That is a great deal for both sides. Jake can stay on a contender and where he is loved + still get huge money per year. He is 31 so he may only have 3 or 4 years left where he is Elite.

• Like 2