Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Think That A Comparison Can Be Made Between Tressel And Coughlin

GoGoColts

Both are convervative offensive guys who believe in good defense and runnnig the ball. Both have good winning track records. Neither are known for huge clock mistakes. On a plus Tressel is more personable.

It seems to me that the teams that win the most, run the football, play good defense, and have an elite QB. I see all this complaining about Tressel being convervative, but he is exactly what we have wanted. All this high-flying offense and no defense has gotten us one Super Bowl. Odds are, a team like the Steelers or Giants will win several more over the next few years.

Both are convervative offensive guys who believe in good defense and runnnig the ball. Both have good winning track records. Neither are known for huge clock mistakes. On a plus Tressel is more personable.

More Personable?

Tressel seems to be very smug and arrogant to me.

My thing about Tressel is that I don't know if his style would translate to the NFL. Just because you won in college, sanctions aside, does not mean you'd be a winner in the NFL. Look at Nick Saban. Also at OSU, he didn't run a pro style offense. I'm sure he wouldn't try to make us a run and shoot offense, but we just don't know how he'd operate. I'd rather go with someone who you know what you're getting. I don't know anything about the man's personality so I won't comment on his arrogance.

Look at Harbaugh...

just saying...

I would not want to get into a comparison of failed college coaches and successful college coaches.

In about 20 years I can count one guy who had long term success in this league and that was Jimmy Johnson. With Harbaugh it is to early to tell, but he is looking up. Switzer had Johnson's team, but then went down hill. Pete was terrible and now does not look like a total disaster.

College coaches just do not have a good track record in the NFL.

If Tressel is our guy, god I hope not, but if he is I will hope he does a great job. Now I definately will not hold my breath on it though.

My thing about Tressel is that I don't know if his style would translate to the NFL. Just because you won in college, sanctions aside, does not mean you'd be a winner in the NFL. Look at Nick Saban. Also at OSU, he didn't run a pro style offense. I'm sure he wouldn't try to make us a run and shoot offense, but we just don't know how he'd operate. I'd rather go with someone who you know what you're getting. I don't know anything about the man's personality so I won't comment on his arrogance.

Before Caldwell was HC he was peytons QB coach and before that coached a wake forest.. nothing wrong with college coaches. As for the offense if peyton is still the QB im sure he would instill an offense or keep the same offense to cater to manning. If Griffin or Luck is QB then his offense shouldnt be a problem because they are both scrambling QB's

Before Caldwell was HC he was peytons QB coach and before that coached a wake forest.. nothing wrong with college coaches. As for the offense if peyton is still the QB im sure he would instill an offense or keep the same offense to cater to manning. If Griffin or Luck is QB then his offense shouldnt be a problem because they are both scrambling QB's

Lol You're going to use Jim Caldwell as an example of a college coach who was successful in the big leagues?!?!

Getting fired after 3 years does not make one a success......and don't use '09 as a defense, we all know who carried the team. Yeah with Peyton at the helm, Tressel would be made to look better than he actually is. Then when he has to prove his worth, as Caldwell had the chance to do this year, we would see his true colors.

Lol You're going to use Jim Caldwell as an example of a college coach who was successful in the big leagues?!?!

Getting fired after 3 years does not make one a success......and don't use '09 as a defense, we all know who carried the team. Yeah with Peyton at the helm, Tressel would be made to look better than he actually is. Then when he has to prove his worth, as Caldwell had the chance to do this year, we would see his true colors.

And you are saying any other coach that is hired wouldn't be made to look better than he actually is because of Peyton? Its a two-way street buddy.

..... What about the '10 season... did peyton carry the team as well? point is you do not know how to judge a coach, caldwell sucked as a talent evaluator but the guy was a good coach. the team was riddled with injuries yet still made it to the playoffs obviously if you have a good QB your gonna be successful and if you dont your gonna be a sucky team... and that goes for any coach.

Besdies being in their 60's and wear eyeglasses, that's about it. Tom has paid his dues in the NFL, Tressel resigned over 2 scandals; Ohio State and Youngstown.

He let his kids use their status for perks... so what lol seriously get over it

I've been a Buckeye fan my entire life. Before Terrell Pryor, the Buckeyes did run a pro offense with quarterbacks such as Todd Boeckman, Troy Smith, Craig Krenzel. The nice thing about Tressel is that he's willing to adapt the offensive play calling to the quarterbacks strengths. However, his best track record came from running the conservative pro style offense.

He's a players coach, which is evident when you look at the allegations against him. He covered for his players stupid choices, many of which had something to do with money, which is not an issue in the NFL as players are paid handsomely.

I'm all for Tressel as a head coach.

..... What about the '10 season... did peyton carry the team as well? point is you do not know how to judge a coach, caldwell sucked as a talent evaluator but the guy was a good coach. the team was riddled with injuries yet still made it to the playoffs obviously if you have a good QB your gonna be successful and if you dont your gonna be a sucky team... and that goes for any coach.

The guy that claps and says 'good job' after repeated three and outs is not a good coach. They guy who calls a timeout in a playoff game, while on defense, and the opposing team is driving down the field to try a game winning field goal, is not a good coach. The guy who makes zero halftime adjustments or even pregame adjustments is not a good coach. The only ones who say he is a good coach are Bill Polian and a random tweet by Justin Tryon. Other than those instances, I can't recall anyone saying he's a good coach. In fact I remember Jeff Saturday distinctly saying, 'We were outcoached.'

Theres no accurate telling if Tressel would be a good or bad coach though so you can't accurately use that equation of yours.

Well that's a given. I said in my first post that I don't know. I'd just rather not go with a guy who was successful in college but is unproven in the NFL. As thewholefnshow said, the success rate of those guys is not very high.

I've been a Buckeye fan my entire life. Before Terrell Pryor, the Buckeyes did run a pro offense with quarterbacks such as Todd Boeckman, Troy Smith, Craig Krenzel. The nice thing about Tressel is that he's willing to adapt the offensive play calling to the quarterbacks strengths. However, his best track record came from running the conservative pro style offense.

He's a players coach, which is evident when you look at the allegations against him. He covered for his players stupid choices, many of which had something to do with money, which is not an issue in the NFL as players are paid handsomely.

I'm all for Tressel as a head coach.

Everyone on this board blasting Tress know's nothing about him.

Get your sweater vests ready. I'll take an extra large please.

Put yourselves in Irsay and Grigs positions.. and you have interviewed all the names mentioned for the job.

and Tressel or whoever blew them both away, (which is what has happened, I guarantee it.. Tress that is) And duds like Childress and Morningwig just did not give them the vibe Tress did?

What do you do? You hire him.

I will trust the "new establishment" ... Lets hope they get it right.

Tressel has a very high football acumen and he seems like a very intelligent guy. The question is will this transfer over to the NFL game? If Irsay and Grigson do go with Tressel they will not give him as much control as Spurrier and Saban had when they went to the NFL.

The guy that claps and says 'good job' after repeated three and outs is not a good coach. They guy who calls a timeout in a playoff game, while on defense, and the opposing team is driving down the field to try a game winning field goal, is not a good coach. The guy who makes zero halftime adjustments or even pregame adjustments is not a good coach. The only ones who say he is a good coach are Bill Polian and a random tweet by Justin Tryon. Other than those instances, I can't recall anyone saying he's a good coach. In fact I remember Jeff Saturday distinctly saying, 'We were outcoached.'

The guy that claps? What are you suppose to do rip your players heads off everytime its a three and out? NO you show them that they have to keep staying positive... that's a good coach. Every coach makes a bad decision once in a while... I can assure you that was not what cost the colts that game either.

In that game they were outplayed as well so i don't really see your point... your coach is only as good as your players and the colts (for the veterans they have on the team) were horrible.

So don't sit there and act like Caldwell was the worst coach ever, leave that title to nick saban.

Tressel has a very high football acumen and he seems like a very intelligent guy. The question is will this transfer over to the NFL game? If Irsay and Grigson do go with Tressel they will not give him as much control as Spurrier and Saban had when they went to the NFL.

If you can't trust your HC then why bother hire him.... if tressel is hired he will be given all the control that a standard coach has.

Right, but a good coach doesn't get caught with his pants down when Peyton Manning is injured.

Well, Tom Moore built the entire offense around Manning. Caldwell, even Dungy, inherited that system. What can you do if you've been, for years, building a system around one component, and one day that component unexpectedly fail?

I'm not saying Caldwell is a good coach, but I'm saying no coach could have saved the Colts this season. Better than 2-14 maybe, but no one could have gotten Colts to the playoffs without Manning under center (this season).

Biggest problem I see with Tressel is he isnt honest. Cant hold the players you draft to standards that your coaches dont have. A very bad domino affect

No Tressel wont have to cover for a kid that got a free tattoo in the NFL. Tressel didn't do anything wrong. A stupid but talented kid took perks when he wasn't supposed too, so instead of destroying that kids college career, Tressel tried to cover up for him.

IMO the heavy reprecussions of a crap rule forced Tressel's hand.

No Tressel wont have to cover for a kid that got a free tattoo in the NFL. Tressel didn't do anything wrong. A stupid but talented kid took perks when he wasn't supposed too, so instead of destroying that kids college career, Tressel tried to cover up for him.

IMO the heavy reprecussions of a crap rule forced Tressel's hand.

Couldn't agree with you more. Give the dude a chance, players respect him.