Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day 8 (moved to 11AM)

Everyone

15 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think you're right.  If they keep 4 TE's then it suggests they really aren't done with 2 TE sets as a big part of the offense.  I actually loved the idea of 2 TE sets, but I don't think we were able to take advantage of them as we rarely had both our top TE's healthy to run the plays we needed.  I see Swoope as a Red Zone threat and we know how good Allen is in the red zone.  I wonder how good Swoope or Doyle will be downfield if Allen gets hurt again?  

Listening to Chudzinskis full press conference he said he's very pleased with Swoope.  The attitude from people reporting on these issues from camp is different, but I think I'll take what the coach says to be true. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sitting here looking at the Cowboys vs Steelers Bowl from 95-96.   I think we'll be alright if Allen goes down.  To me athleticism wise Jack Doyle is a similar athlete as Jay Novacek and probably a little faster.  Doyle is taller than Novacek was, but I think they are a similar style of player.  Novacek really wasn't a freak athlete like some of these tight ends we see today.  He was very reliable and had good hands, but by no means was he Gronkowski, or a Julius Thomas, Antonio Gates type of guy.  We should be able to function with Doyle in there.  At first I didn't feel that way, but the more I study this offense it should be ok.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm sitting here looking at the Cowboys vs Steelers Bowl from 95-96.   I think we'll be alright if Allen goes down.  To me athleticism wise Jack Doyle is a similar athlete as Jay Novacek and probably a little faster.  Doyle is taller than Novacek was, but I think they are a similar style of player.  Novacek really wasn't a freak athlete like some of these tight ends we see today.  He was very reliable and had good hands, but by no means was he Gronkowski, or a Julius Thomas, Antonio Gates type of guy.  We should be able to function with Doyle in there.  At first I didn't feel that way, but the more I study this offense it should be ok.

Doyle is going to suprise if he sees extended time. I've been saying it since we decided to keep Allen. I've also pointed out Allen had played in 13 or more games every season but 1. 

Doyle was looked at as a receiving TE coming out of WKU. His blocking was what need work. He was compared to Celek. This was his draft profile: 

Big target, with a powerful build. Fires off the line of scrimmage, shows good explosiveness in his first couple of steps. Catches the ball away from his frame. Has the flexibility to contort to make the tough catch. Sent in motion a lot, works well on the move, showcasing plus mobility. Find soft spots in the zone, and has enough speed to threaten the seam.

See if you can name this 2 guys. 

Player A 200+LB's runs a 4.38 40 has a 42" vertical 10'4 broad jump 4.37 short shuttle and 6.5 3 cone 

Player B 200+lbs runs 4.34 40 has a 35 1/2" vertical 10'9" broad jump 

4.41 short shuttle and 7.1 3 cone 

Both guys are obviously very good  athletes. They put up very good numbers across the board. The exception for both was the short shuttle. Both had very slow times. I noticed it right away the short shuttle is often the only time I look at. 

Interestingly the best short shuttle time 3.85 at this year combine belonged to Justin Simmons.