Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck, Newton, and Wilson by 2021

Bravo

51 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I can see the Panthers being a bit of a one year wonder especially as they lost Josh Norman, as much as I dislike him he is pretty good (at least in Carolina's scheme). It bothers me that they didn't "shop hungry" and replace him even though the draft happened after they released him. Also, a part of me really likes Cam. It's a part of me I hate, but que sera sera. If Cam & Jonathan Stewart can establish their run game on offense, a returning Kelvin Benjamin recapturing his form, then the teams hopes lie at the feet of the defense. The front 7 is good, no question. The secondary? Not so much anymore.  

Seattle losing Marshawn Lynch is pretty huge as they will need to hope Thomas Rawls, a year adrift from going undrafted out of Central Michigan, is ready to bell cow the ball all season with all but no proven talent behind him. The defense is still solid but a lacklustre Oline and a RB corps that, apart from Rawls, is almost D.O.A will mean that Russ is going to have to put the O on his back. They just have to hope he has wide shoulders and strong legs. Going forward, if a RB emerges as a competent bell cow and the Oline bucks its ideas up then they are once again one of the favourites for the title.

The Colts. Ahh the Colts. One of life's great mysteries at the moment it seems as it depends which sports news spout you listen to  whether they will have a bounce back season and be contenders or whether they are staring down the barrel of 3rd place in the AFC South. It comes down to whether Luck can get back to form. A strong and speedy set of weapons and a retooled Oline will hopefully let him do that. The defense are relying on a FA or 2 emerging as competent starters, a few too many aged veterans hanging on for 1 or 2 more years, not to mention the defensive draft picks proving their worth. Only time will tell at this point.

IMO I don't think the Panthers or Seahawks make the SB. Panthers were a 1 year lucky wonder that caught a lot of breaks. The SB loser hasn't returned to the SB the next season since 1993 Season when the Bills did it. Without Lynch and their Defense getting a tad weaker each season Russell Wilson will fold in the Playoffs. The Packers will be better than both teams, watch out for my sleeper = the Cowboys as well with Zeke and a healthy Romo and Bryant. They went 12-4 2 years ago but had a ton of injuries last season.

On 6/30/2016 at 11:23 PM, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Wilson would be in a wheelchair from playing behind the o-line of the last few years

nonsense

His line has also been bad. Luck is just a slow thinker after the snap, so he holds onto the ball
Way to Long waiting for his receivers to get open beyond 15 yards. He is dull and lame at throwing quick accurate passes. After 5 seasons of this Cr__,  you better hope Chud can fix him. lol

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

nonsense

His line has also been bad. Luck is just a slow thinker after the snap, so he holds onto the ball
Way to Long waiting for his receivers to get open beyond 15 yards. He is dull and lame at throwing quick accurate passes. After 5 seasons of this Cr__,  you better hope Chud can fix him. lol

A slow thinker?

Have you read none of the stories about Luck and his mind while a Colt?!?

What do you really think the chances that Luck's problems are because he's a "slow thinker".....

Why do you over-think this?

Luck's problem come simply because he tries to do too much.     If he doesn't make a play,  our offense literally stops.      He tires too hard.       I'm not saying Luck doesn't have other problems,  he does.      Frankly,  he's been a big disappointment to me,  and that includes even before last year.

But a "slow thinker"......     wow....    that one has never been on my radar.....

P.S. --- Seattle's line may not be great,   but it's dramatically better than Indy's.    Always has been...

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A slow thinker?

What do you really think the chances that Luck's problems are because he's a "slow thinker".....

Luck's problem come simply because he tries to do too much.     If he doesn't make a play,  our offense literally stops.      He tires too hard.       I'm not saying Luck doesn't have other problems,  he does.      Frankly,  he's been a big disappointment to me,  and that includes even before last year.

But a "slow thinker"......     wow....    that one has never been on my radar.....

P.S. --- Seattle's line may not be great,   but it's dramatically better than Indy's.    Always has been...

I almost responded to that Post as well. Some of these people have no clue and it's irritating. He isn't a slow thinker, I agree. I guess some of these people that want to bash Andrew would prefer we bring Curtis Painter back so we can go 2-14 every season.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Eli is better than his detractors say,  and not quite as good as his supporters believe....

Thats probably right. I mean he has had a few seasons where he would throw terrible after terrible interceptions, but at the same time a terrible qb doesn't win 2 super bowls either.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A slow thinker?

Football wise, the original poster has a point. Luck does not seem capable of getting the ball out quickly with accuracy. That will be denied by many fans but if you watch him play and take all of that punishment, how can it be denied? Yes, I know the line was not good but a bunch of rookies is not going to make a big change there. Luck will still be slow getting rid of the ball and he will still be taking big hits because of it.

19 minutes ago, Ollonesomeme said:

Football wise, the original poster has a point. Luck does not seem capable of getting the ball out quickly with accuracy. That will be denied by many fans but if you watch him play and take all of that punishment, how can it be denied? Yes, I know the line was not good but a bunch of rookies is not going to make a big change there. Luck will still be slow getting rid of the ball and he will still be taking big hits because of it.

So,  the question becomes,  why does Luck have these problems.

My argument is that it's not because Andrew Luck is a "slow thinker".....       

Come up with the answer that you like,   but I just don't think slow thinker is a logical answer.     Not for a guy with a photographic memory.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,  the question becomes,  why does Luck have these problems.

My argument is that it's not because Andrew Luck is a "slow thinker".....       

Come up with the answer that you like,   but I just don't think slow thinker is a logical answer.     Not for a guy with a photographic memory.

Photographic memory has nothing to do with it. I knew doctors who played bridge but could not play well or keep up with people who played faster and better than they did. We're the intelligent? Of course they were. Andrew is also brilliant, I am sure. Does that mean that he will ever make football decisions with the speed of Peyton, Brady, Brees or the like. I have seen no indication that he I'll ever be able to do that. I do not think that it can be coached.

28 minutes ago, Ollonesomeme said:

Photographic memory has nothing to do with it. I knew doctors who played bridge but could not play well or keep up with people who played faster and better than they did. We're the intelligent? Of course they were. Andrew is also brilliant, I am sure. Does that mean that he will ever make football decisions with the speed of Peyton, Brady, Brees or the like. I have seen no indication that he I'll ever be able to do that. I do not think that it can be coached.

Not sure, It can be learned, though.  After being in the league' a couple years, the speed of the game slows down.  After getting beat up by D lineman by waiting for receivers to get open, you get a 'clock in your head' and learn to get it out and throw to where your receivers 'are supposed to be' {not that they always will be, but I digress} and not wait on non existent windows to open.

As he learns pre-snap read D better and adjusts calls to it (and with the Kelly, protections as well) his release time will decrease becasue he'll do 3 or 5 step drops, and the balls has to come out. Hopefully the receiver the pre-snap read showed had the least coverage/best match up.  Intelligent QB's can learn that.

46 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not sure, It can be learned, though.  After being in the league' a couple years, the speed of the game slows down.  After getting beat up by D lineman by waiting for receivers to get open, you get a 'clock in your head' and learn to get it out and throw to where your receivers 'are supposed to be' {not that they always will be, but I digress} and not wait on non existent windows to open.

As he learns pre-snap read D better and adjusts calls to it (and with the Kelly, protections as well) his release time will decrease becasue he'll do 3 or 5 step drops, and the balls has to come out. Hopefully the receiver the pre-snap read showed had the least coverage/best match up.  Intelligent QB's can learn that.

You would think that a player getting his brains beat out every week would already have learned that after four years. Younger QBs have already learned. That either means Luck is just stubborn about it or he does not have the football IQ to make that change. We will see but frankly I don't anticipate any change at all.

5 minutes ago, Ollonesomeme said:

You would think that a player getting his brains beat out every week would already have learned that after four years. Younger QBs have already learned. That either means Luck is just stubborn about it or he does not have the football IQ to make that change. We will see but frankly I don't anticipate any change at all.

I go with stubborn.  He is trying to do more than even he should try to do.  It was 3 years of the former, and then got beat up and sat down via injury last year.  If he does 7 step drops and holds the ball > 2.9 seconds average this year, then I'll say it is desire (or lack of).  His football I.Q. is already high.  But will he let common football I.Q. reign over making the big play?  Will he get down and slide vs getting that extra yard or two?

The Colts franchise and Luck's career depend upon him getting it right sooner rather than later.  He knows this.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I go with stubborn.  He is trying to do more than even he should try to do.  It was 3 years of the former, and then got beat up and sat down via injury last year.  If he does 7 step drops and holds the ball > 2.9 seconds average this year, then I'll say it is desire (or lack of).  His football I.Q. is already high.  But will he let common football I.Q. reign over making the big play?  Will he get down and slide vs getting that extra yard or two?

The Colts franchise and Luck's career depend upon him getting it right sooner rather than later.  He knows this.

Well said and you could certainly be correct.