Geathers 2.5

Maggitt 2.0

Parry 2.0

Ridgeway 2.0

Thompson 2.0

Mcgil 1.5

Moore 1.5

Bates 1.0

Say what you want about the lack of competition we were facing at the end of the season, but to get 31 sacks when all we had was 10 going into week 12 is saying something. Here is how I think we can continue to bring the pressure.

Mathis- Starts with the ageless one. You could see as the season when along, mathis was starting to dominate finishing with 7 sacks. If you look at the talent we have on the d-line, its gonna be almost impossible to continually double team mathis and as we all know, you can't block mathis one on one. Teddy M knows this and he will get mathis in position to do damage.

D-line- This d-line can get after the the QB. We saw what langford could do then you add in a healthy anderson and jones and you got one heck of a d-line along with really good depth. For once in probably the colts entire franchise history, we can say the d-line could be arguably are best position. 

Teddy M- You look at the LBers hes coached and its impressive ray lewis, terrell suggs, cj mosley, elvis dummervil, paul kruger, pernell mcphee, dannell ellerbe. I have no doubt he can turn our young pass rushers into a threat along with making our defense fierce. 

With that kind of sack totals, I would be ecstatic. I concur that we should have enough quarterback pressures/sacks this season with the D-line collapsing the pocket. Hopefully this means more ints for our Db's also. I'm very excited to see how much the D can improve this season. I personally haven't felt this good about our D's potential since Jason Belser was laying people out!

1 minute ago, IrishColt22 said:

Is it the amount of comp on Dline that you see TY only getting 1.5? He got 4/21 at the end of the season in a limited role and will have one full offseason with us. I have higher hopes than 1.5 for him 

Its just very deep right now on the dline for ty to see enough reps to get more then 1.5 sacks. we will probably end up keeping 7 dlineman langford jones anderson parry ridgeway mcgil kerr

1. I think you're giving Mathis too much credit.  I love Mathis and I think he had a very successful season last year given the circumstances, but I can't see him giving us a 10+ sack season

2. It's very possible we don't get Henry Anderson back until late October or even into November.  Plus, he'd be coming back from a significant injury, so I think the coaches will be very careful with him.  Add in that Trent Cole will be 34 and showed very little pass rush ability last year, and that Art Jones is consistently hurt...I find it very hard to see how those three players would give us 10 sacks.

3. With the depth we have along the DL, it's going to be hard for each of those guys to get their sacks.  Langford, Ridgeway, McGill, Parry, Art Jones, Henry Anderson (with aforementioned circumstances), possible Quarles...that's a lot of competition (which I like) for a limited number of snaps.  Not saying it won't happen, but it'll be difficult for all of those guys to get their snaps, and get sacks in those snaps

Just my opinion

On 5/18/2016 at 9:13 PM, 21isSuperman said:

1. I think you're giving Mathis too much credit.  I love Mathis and I think he had a very successful season last year given the circumstances, but I can't see him giving us a 10+ sack season

2. It's very possible we don't get Henry Anderson back until late October or even into November.  Plus, he'd be coming back from a significant injury, so I think the coaches will be very careful with him.  Add in that Trent Cole will be 34 and showed very little pass rush ability last year, and that Art Jones is consistently hurt...I find it very hard to see how those three players would give us 10 sacks.

3. With the depth we have along the DL, it's going to be hard for each of those guys to get their sacks.  Langford, Ridgeway, McGill, Parry, Art Jones, Henry Anderson (with aforementioned circumstances), possible Quarles...that's a lot of competition (which I like) for a limited number of snaps.  Not saying it won't happen, but it'll be difficult for all of those guys to get their snaps, and get sacks in those snaps

Just my opinion

My prediction is perhaps a bit stretched out with all the players I named to get sacks, however with no one particular player to rely on to provide constant pressure by themselves expect for mathis, teddy m is gonna have to get creative and get pressure in a variety of ways kinda like how the colts got sacks in 2014 when mathis was out for the entire year. we got 40 sacks that year if memory serves and our top sacker was newsome with 6.5. maybe 10.5 is a bit much for mathis, however judging how he finished the season and my prediction on how heavily Teddy M will be relying on mathis and putting him in position to take advantage of matchups, I don't think that number is too far fetched    

33 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I could see a double digit sack season for Mathis. He seemed to come on late last season. He has a great attitude.

Agreed 100% I said in an earlier thread that I expect 11+ sacks from RM this season. As you said, he was comin' on "strong" <(my words) by the end of last season, and looked like he did before the injury imo. He passed the "eye" test by a wide margin. 

On 5/17/2016 at 5:55 PM, CR91 said:

First I'll break down the sack total

Mathis-10.5

Langford- 5.0

Walden 4.5

Art Jones- 4.0

Anderson 3.0

Cole 3.0

DQ 2.5

Geathers 2.5

Maggitt 2.0

Parry 2.0

Ridgeway 2.0

Thompson 2.0

Mcgil 1.5

Moore 1.5

Bates 1.0

Say what you want about the lack of competition we were facing at the end of the season, but to get 31 sacks when all we had was 10 going into week 12 is saying something. Here is how I think we can continue to bring the pressure.

Mathis- Starts with the ageless one. You could see as the season when along, mathis was starting to dominate finishing with 7 sacks. If you look at the talent we have on the d-line, its gonna be almost impossible to continually double team mathis and as we all know, you can't block mathis one on one. Teddy M knows this and he will get mathis in position to do damage.

D-line- This d-line can get after the the QB. We saw what langford could do then you add in a healthy anderson and jones and you got one heck of a d-line along with really good depth. For once in probably the colts entire franchise history, we can say the d-line could be arguably are best position. 

Teddy M- You look at the LBers hes coached and its impressive ray lewis, terrell suggs, cj mosley, elvis dummervil, paul kruger, pernell mcphee, dannell ellerbe. I have no doubt he can turn our young pass rushers into a threat along with making our defense fierce. 

I hope you're right and we have this many sacks or more.  A few questions:  Did you choose 47 as a number you wanted us to hit and divide up the numbers accordingly? Or did you calculate a number for the players and add them up and it happened to be 47?

Also, the one thing I will point out in your Teddy M section is that the guys he has coached are certainly impressive, but many of them were expected to be.  Ray Lewis, Suggs, Mosley were 1st round picks, Kruger was  a 2nd rounder, Dumervil was a 4th, McPhee was a 5th and Ellerbe was undrafted.  Our team has an aging Mathis who overachieved in his career after coming from a small school in the 5th round.  We have an aging Cole (who no offense, looked like he lost a step last year), an aging DQ, two guys who are coming off injuries from 2 years ago and we didn't get to see enough of last year (Sio and Irving -- who, btw, both seem to be known for things other than being pass rushers), and Walden who is also not known as a pass rusher.

Then we have a large group of players we hope have potential, but that we really don't know anything about.  It isn't like Teddy M is coming into a situation where he has 3 first round picks at LB -- we are aging and/or under-talented with many of the players we have on the roster, and then we have a group of undrafted free-agents (and a 7th rounder from the FCS) who we really have no idea about.

I like your optimism, and I'll try to remain optimistic, but at this point, I think it is too early to judge Teddy's past success and say it will immediately transfer to Indy based on the talent we have here.  A player I am hoping will have at least a couple sacks is going to be TJ Green.  He had 1 sack last year at Clemson, but he is smoking fast and I expect he'll be used in some sort of hybrid role this year (similar to how we used Geathers on D last year) -- anyway, I really hope they let him after the QB in some of the 3rd down packages that are being developed.

34 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I hope you're right and we have this many sacks or more.  A few questions:  Did you choose 47 as a number you wanted us to hit and divide up the numbers accordingly? Or did you calculate a number for the players and add them up and it happened to be 47?

Also, the one thing I will point out in your Teddy M section is that the guys he has coached are certainly impressive, but many of them were expected to be.  Ray Lewis, Suggs, Mosley were 1st round picks, Kruger was  a 2nd rounder, Dumervil was a 4th, McPhee was a 5th and Ellerbe was undrafted.  Our team has an aging Mathis who overachieved in his career after coming from a small school in the 5th round.  We have an aging Cole (who no offense, looked like he lost a step last year), an aging DQ, two guys who are coming off injuries from 2 years ago and we didn't get to see enough of last year (Sio and Irving -- who, btw, both seem to be known for things other than being pass rushers), and Walden who is also not known as a pass rusher.

Then we have a large group of players we hope have potential, but that we really don't know anything about.  It isn't like Teddy M is coming into a situation where he has 3 first round picks at LB -- we are aging and/or under-talented with many of the players we have on the roster, and then we have a group of undrafted free-agents (and a 7th rounder from the FCS) who we really have no idea about.

I like your optimism, and I'll try to remain optimistic, but at this point, I think it is too early to judge Teddy's past success and say it will immediately transfer to Indy based on the talent we have here.  A player I am hoping will have at least a couple sacks is going to be TJ Green.  He had 1 sack last year at Clemson, but he is smoking fast and I expect he'll be used in some sort of hybrid role this year (similar to how we used Geathers on D last year) -- anyway, I really hope they let him after the QB in some of the 3rd down packages that are being developed.

47 was just a number I felt was a realistic goal.  How I decided the individual totals is from past history of certain players sack totals. 

Well yes first round picks are suppose to be exceptional players, that is not always the case with every player. It does take the proper coaching to elevate a player to what they could be. 

As for our current defensive players, I go back to 2014 when we really didn't have someone to provide a consistent pass rush and we had to get creative with our pressure packages. I think we're gonna take the same mindset and not just rely on one or two players to get to the QB.

On 5/17/2016 at 7:55 PM, CR91 said:

First I'll break down the sack total

Mathis-10.5

Langford- 5.0

Walden 4.5

Art Jones- 4.0

Anderson 3.0

Cole 3.0

DQ 2.5

Geathers 2.5

Maggitt 2.0

Parry 2.0

Ridgeway 2.0

Thompson 2.0

Mcgil 1.5

Moore 1.5

Bates 1.0

I think the problem is that Mathis is far less likely to keep playing BETTER than the previous year at his age.  And Anderson may not even be playing at the start of the season.  I am hopeful that Langford hasn't peaked and may get more than 5, perhaps that will help, but Art Jones hasn't played much and likely this year won't be any different.  Makes you wonder if there's a chemical reason (or lack thereof) his body is always broken down.