Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Melvin Gordon had Microfracture Surgery?

SteelCityColt

12 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Bad news for Melvin Gordon if true, makes this pick look even worse: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000660986/article/melvin-gordon-reportedly-had-microfracture-surgery

The report is that he had the operation this offseason, not last, after a cartilage tear during the season. Hard to predict that he would need microfracture back before last year's draft.

I really liked him. Never expected him to have such a poor season. He can bounce back and have some good years, but his clock is definitely ticking.

Who knows for sure what happened to Gordon.  If Myles Jack didn't need meniscus repair, it might not have ever been known he had OCD and is a huge candidate for torn cartilage in the future (sooner more likely than later). Cartilage contains a lot of water and thus makes a good shock absorber.  Microfracture surgery creates fibrocartilage, a thicker and tougher cartilage. Much like a scar on your arm, it's a thicker and tougher covering than your skin, not quite as good as the original. It has a checkered history of success, and ortho docs seem to be backing away from it.

Dr. Chao says - "Growing cartilage is the Holy Grail of Orthopedics."  Do so and  I'll add in rake in billions in curing so many people (of all walks) of osteoarthritis not just treat the pain ... maybe even get Nobel Prize in medicine.

Right now there's no real good alternative to the  microfracture procedure that is so hit or miss, but something else seems close for the future.  Right now alternatives are-

Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation  (ACI) - but it takes a long time (<= 18 months) in recovery.

Osteochondral Autograft Transfer (OATS) - seems to be effective mostly on small tears.

Then there are controversial (yet still promising) European procedures like Orthokine (Kobe Bryant had it done) or platelet rich plasma therapy. (Cell manipulation treatments take longer for FDA approval). Concentrated stem cells, etc...

Anyone can research these (I try to stay on sites authored by orthopedics surgeons) treatments and where they stand. I feel for all athletes that suffer cartilage damage, as repair and return to former status is no guarantee at this time.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

The report is that he had the operation this offseason, not last, after a cartilage tear during the season. Hard to predict that he would need microfracture back before last year's draft.

I really liked him. Never expected him to have such a poor season. He can bounce back and have some good years, but his clock is definitely ticking.

To clarify I didn't like the pick even before he took a snap last year as I didn't think he was worth a 1st rounder, but then I think that about most RBs now. Elliot no doubt will prove me a fool! 

He seems like a good guy and it's a real shame if his career is shortened. 

Is it me or do injuries seem to become prevalent in phases? I'd never heard of microfracture surgery until Cherilus and now it seems to be more common. Is that down to advances in medicine? 

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/may/09/chargers-melvin-gordon-microfracture-surgery/2/?chargers#article-copy

His case was a small tear - the management doesn't appear concerned as they did not draft a running back nor secure one in free agency.  They did however, bolster the front line and bring in Whisenhunt to run the offense again.  Last time he was here we made the playoffs and beat the Bengals at home where they had been 8-0 that year and we did it with a balanced offense.  

Rivers is deadly when we have a running game.  I hope Melvin shakes off last year and surprises a lot of people.  He had flashes of absolute brilliance last year.  Just needs to trust his instincts and quit over thinking (common rookie trait) and a bit of a hole to run through.  

As to whether we should have moved up to draft him where we did... rarely a fan of doing that, but it's done and we'll see in another year or two whether it was a good move or not.  Just this week the regraded 2013 draft grades came out and Tom Telesco's draft ended up an A+ when a lot of fans were unhappy with it.  All but 1 player from that draft is still on the team and producing.  I try to be patient and not jump to early conclusions :-) 

12 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

To clarify I didn't like the pick even before he took a snap last year as I didn't think he was worth a 1st rounder, but then I think that about most RBs now. Elliot no doubt will prove me a fool! 

He seems like a good guy and it's a real shame if his career is shortened. 

Is it me or do injuries seem to become prevalent in phases? I'd never heard of microfracture surgery until Cherilus and now it seems to be more common. Is that down to advances in medicine? 

I liked the player, didn't like the pick. Same with Elliott, although he's better, but he also went a lot higher.

Microfracture has been around for a while. As CBFL said, it has a checkered history, and is probably more prominent in the NBA. Chris Webber, Amare Stoudemire, etc., have had it.