Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans having buyers remorse

B~Town

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/30/bill-obrien-is-right-free-agency-rules-need-to-change/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Texans coach Bill O’Brien recently told Peter King of TheMMQB.com. “Without that, you have to find a way to research guys, but without seeing him and talking to him face-to-face, there’s always going to be something missing.”

One has to wonder what they missed when researching there new QB .

I'm not sure this is "buyers remorse" as much as it is pointing out just how screwed up the current system really is.

That's a $37 million dollar guaranteed leap of faith and you can barely sit down and meet face to face.

The system badly needs to be tweaked.     I suspect O'Brien is speaking for a large number of NFL execs and coaches.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure this is "buyers remorse" as much as it is pointing out just how screwed up the current system really is.

That's a $37 million dollar guaranteed leap of faith and you can barely sit down and meet face to face.

The system badly needs to be tweaked.     I suspect O'Brien is speaking for a large number of NFL execs and coaches.

They can make some common sense changes to the system, but the Texans didn't have to sign Osweiler before they met with him. They could have brought him in for a visit and took their time with him if they wanted, and if it was really that important to them, they would have. I'm sure competing offers influenced their decision to move forward, but it was still their decision.

Also, this is part of the reason teams meet with so many players before the draft and at the Combine. O'Brien was at Penn State in 2012, but if he had been in the NFL, he might have had more info about Osweiler. Probably not enough to be totally comfortable with the way things went down, something's better than nothing.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

They can make some common sense changes to the system, but the Texans didn't have to sign Osweiler before they met with him. They could have brought him in for a visit and took their time with him if they wanted, and if it was really that important to them, they would have. I'm sure competing offers influenced their decision to move forward, but it was still their decision.

Also, this is part of the reason teams meet with so many players before the draft and at the Combine. O'Brien was at Penn State in 2012, but if he had been in the NFL, he might have had more info about Osweiler. Probably not enough to be totally comfortable with the way things went down, something's better than nothing.

Fair points (as usual)....     it's the system that is in place.

But as you note in your first sentence,  there are some common sense changes that can be made.

I'm just glad it was Houston who had to make the decision,  and NOT the Colts!     I'm not a big fan of gambles that large!

We're all still waiting to see just how large a check Irsay will write to Luck?!    Not just the total guarantees, but the initial signing bonus.   That's going to be one large check....   (at least,  that's what we're all expecting)

1 hour ago, Superman said:

They could have brought him in for a visit and took their time with him if they wanted, and if it was really that important to them, they would have. I'm sure competing offers influenced their decision to move forward, but it was still their decision.

Exactly!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair points (as usual)....     it's the system that is in place.

But as you note in your first sentence,  there are some common sense changes that can be made.

I don't see the purpose of prohibiting teams from talking to players but allowing them to talk to agents. If you're going to have a tampering period, then why go only halfway? I believe the NBA has a week long moratorium, and in that time, big ticket free agents meet with multiple teams. A major difference is that the NBA has max contracts, so the compensation is pretty much predetermined. But still, the NFL could work out a similar issue.

I don't have any sympathy for a team like the Chiefs, who knowingly broke the rules, whether they agree with the rules or not.

As for Luck, just like everyone else, they have to pay their franchise QB. I don't think Luck's contract will be outrageous; he'll probably have the biggest yearly average and most guaranteed, but I don't think it will drastically reset the market. And based on the way the team seems to like structuring contracts, I think they'll keep the cash and cap as closely aligned as they can, so I don't think there will be a gigantic signing bonus. Of course, I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

They can make some common sense changes to the system, but the Texans didn't have to sign Osweiler before they met with him. They could have brought him in for a visit and took their time with him if they wanted, and if it was really that important to them, they would have.

So basically, O'Brien got a swollen hard on for the prospect of a Super Bowl winning QB who once beat O'Brien's former New England Patriots team, and he was like, "That's MY QB!!!" To O'Brien's credit, I've read he is under pressure to win more football games, so perhaps they needed to pull the trigger on this signing, regardless of the chances. 

I think in time, history will look back on this signing and we'll realize it was a mistake - even if the Texans won't admit to it yet - and Colts fans will have front row seats as it develops.

23 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

So basically, O'Brien got a swollen hard on for the prospect of a Super Bowl winning QB who once beat O'Brien's former New England Patriots team, and he was like, "That's MY QB!!!" To O'Brien's credit, I've read he is under pressure to win more football games, so perhaps they needed to pull the trigger on this signing, regardless of the chances. 

I think in time, history will look back on this signing and we'll realize it was a mistake - even if the Texans won't admit to it yet - and Colts fans will have front row seats as it develops.

I think it's pretty crazy to give a guy who's started seven games an $18m/year contract, whether you've met him or not. It's even worse if you're suggesting that meeting him in advance of the contract might have changed your mind. 

But all Osweiler has to do is be average and they'll be fine for at least a couple years. 

The description of the system is confirmation to me that Grigson did the right thing by not (at least succeeding in) chasing players the first week of free agency.  Certainly what fed into the Osweiler signing was the notion that the Texans had to sign him quickly or risk losing him to another team.

On 3/31/2016 at 11:50 AM, Superman said:

That's the thing though.  Osweilder was likely a hot commodity.  If he wants to be signed soon then that's what they needed to do, otherwise he was going to be on a plane to another team's facility.

18 hours ago, DougDew said:

The description of the system is confirmation to me that Grigson did the right thing by not (at least succeeding in) chasing players the first week of free agency.  Certainly what fed into the Osweiler signing was the notion that the Texans had to sign him quickly or risk losing him to another team.

It is more so one of these factors that led him to stay pat:

1. He saw the results when he DID chase players the first week of free agency.

2. Now he knows he cannot afford to take as many swings due to Luck's looming contract and thus the room for misses has also dwindled.

3. Irsay may also be in the camp of realization that this team is at least a couple of years away competing for a SB, so one or two guys in free agency is not going to put this team over the hump to be a SB contender.