Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper said an offensive lineman. More specifically University of Alabama center Ryan Kelly

Pretty sure this has been posted a couple of different places now, but my opinion hasn't changed.  This is just a terrible value at that spot.  If your'e going to take him in the first (which I still think is a bad idea), trade down and get more bang for your buck.  You'd have to trade down to the late 20s IMO just to draft him at a spot where I'd be okay with it.  

I'm still on the trade up train, if the right guy is there at 10-12.

I just don't get all the negativity of taking a center in the first round. The center is on 100% of all offensive snaps. He can be the one who calls the offensive line ups. The larger part of sacks, hurried and hits have came from right up the middle. With the lack of an average running game the center plays a huge part in that also. The RBs who get hit in the backfield normally happens from right up the middle. For years Jeff Saturday was the heart and soul of out O-line and we struck lightning with him. We will never be so lucky again without finding a center without going high in the draft for him. The good ones in free agency would be very expensive so finding a good starter under the rookie cap would be a huge plus.

On March 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why you have a hard on for Nick Martin?     He is not his brother, not even close.

And he suffered a knee injury which made his 2015 season not as good as his '14 season.    And he's still not 100%.    Scouts say he looks stiff and not close to what he was. 

Kelly is clearly the best center.     Now, maybe you don't like him or like Alabama players?     But there doesn't appear to be any debate in the scouting community.    Kelly is tops and someone else is a distant second.

I don't get the Martin love either. I'm a long time Irish fan I never miss a game. The knee is potentially a larger problem than you describe. He had the injury/surgery in 2013 He really struggled in 2014. His play improved this year but anyone who saw the kid prior to the injury it's clear 2 YEARS later it is still bothering. He was never a mauler to begin with his strength was his was very altheltic not anymore.

Kelly isn't a top 50 player in this draft IMO. He needs to fill out his frame get stronger and clean some things up especially in pass blocking Can he be a great C? Yes but I'm not sure he could beat out Holmes in camp if Holmes somehow stayed healthily We all know Holmes sucks. 

If we are looking to improvements to the OL week 1. I think you have to look at FA. I think C should be addressed. Wiz/Jones would be long term solutions. Or sign a vet let our draft pick work his way on the field. You wanna get Luck killed then start a rookie C and RG. 

Just curious what RG do you guys have us drafting that's going to beat out Thorton in camp? 

36 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I don't get the Martin love either. I'm a long time Irish fan I never miss a game. The knee is potentially a larger problem than you describe. He had the injury/surgery in 2013 He really struggled in 2014. His play improved this year but anyone who saw the kid prior to the injury it's clear 2 YEARS later it is still bothering. He was never a mauler to begin with his strength was his was very altheltic not anymore.

Kelly isn't a top 50 player in this draft IMO. He needs to fill out his frame get stronger and clean some things up especially in pass blocking Can he be a great C? Yes but I'm not sure he could beat out Holmes in camp if Holmes somehow stayed healthily We all know Holmes sucks. 

If we are looking to improvements to the OL week 1. I think you have to look at FA. I think C should be addressed. Wiz/Jones would be long term solutions. Or sign a vet let our draft pick work his way on the field. You wanna get Luck killed then start a rookie C and RG. 

Just curious what RG do you guys have us drafting that's going to beat out Thorton in camp? 

IMO I think you are under valuing Kelly. Take a look at his ratings and look at the tape on him. He gives up no sacks. I know it's college but he has a head start over most the other centers coming out.

53 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I don't know why Kelly has to "fill out his frame"....   he's been listed at 285-295 for quite a while and showed up at the combine at.....  311.    Think he did roughly 24 on the bench press.

And I think he'll be drafted inside the top 50.      Maybe not the first round,  but that still leaves 32-49....   that's a lot of room for the top center in the draft......       I'd love for the Colts to get him.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

S IMO I think you are under valuing Kelly. Take a look at his ratings and look at the tape on him. He gives up no sacks. I know it's college but he has a head start over most the other centers coming out.

I'm not undervaluing him. You think he's one of the top 25 players in this draft? I don't. We absolutely need an upgrade at C but you would probably be an upgrade  over what we have now.

At 18 we could get Billings who has the potential to be a very rare player a dominant game changer at NT. We could get a CB that could pair with Davis to make our secondary one of the better groups in the league at 48. 

A C at 18 is a huge reach IMO. I think it would be at 48. It's a position that is filled by UDFA on about half the teams in the league. Jeff Saturday was an UDFA. I don't expect this team to be picking this high again for a while. I would like to come away with a 2 players that we would not have been able to get at the end of R2. 

My guy at 18 has been Billings since the season ended. I'd take the BPA in a position of need in the 2nd to that would be OL, CB, OLB, DL or ILB. I think a CB will be sitting there in the 2nd. I would not have a huge problem with Kelly in the 2nd. I still think it's a reach at 48. 

We need uogrades at a lot of positions. The least expensive to fix in FA is C. One of the easiest spots to fill with a quality player day 3 will be C. It's a deep draft at that position. A position that typically starts coming off the board rd3. 

I hope we sign Wiz or Jones and are done with the C position. If not I'm fine with Glasgow, Boehm, or Allen day 3. We have a great chance to solidify the DL and the back end with 2 top 50 players. Add an edge rusher I think it is a waste taking a C in the top 50 from Bama it's worries me. I guy we could get at the bottom of the 2nd.