Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams Tag CB Trumaine Johnson.....

Yup....   you're reading this right.....    Trumaine Johnson,  the CB that most of us were hoping the Colts could sign has been tagged by the Rams.

That means this year,  he will be paid $13.95 Million.     $13.95 Million.

Free Agent money is MAD MONEY!!

With new and richer TV money pouring in,  old prices are just that -- old.     What Vonte Davis got a year or two ago doesn't mean nearly as much as we'd like it too.   His numbers are 4/36.

This points to one thing that should be noted.....    Grigson and his financial team are among the best at what they do in the NFL.     If Grigson had been fired back in January,  whoever would've taken over would be inheriting a roster of good contracts.      Perhaps not as much talent as we'd like,  but no contracts that are hurting the franchise.    And that's no small thing......

That means, as expected, the coast is clear for Rams CB Janoris Jenkins to hit the open market.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) March 1, 2016

Keep in mind that it’s not the first time the Colts have been linked to Jenkins, as the team was rumored to he highly interested in the talented, but troubled North Alabama cornerback ahead of the 2012 NFL Draft–even scheduling a team visit:

In addition, first-round prospect CB Janoris Jenkins has a visit with the Rams scheduled for Monday, and one with the Colts on Friday.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 7, 2012

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/03/01/could-rams-cb-janoris-jenkins-make-sense-for-colts/

37 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Depends on what Jenkins is asking for.

I don't think the Colts are going to pay their #2 cb more than what they're paying their all star #1 cb

and Jenkins turned down 5 yr / $45 mil

Yeah he'll probably stick to that figure too.  He can go somewhere like Jacksonville and get stinky paid.  They would probably give him 10 to 12 million or more.  They don't have anybody of note other than Davon House who is decent, but not Jenkins.  Plus he'd be back in Florida where he's from.

I'd be okay with Hayward but he's gonna have to play primarly in the slot, and we already have Darius there, so there would still be a gap outside. If we really want to solidify the DB's then I guess we could do something like: 

Sign Hayward in FA

Draft:

1: Trade back for William Jackson III or select a Pass Rusher or Nose Tackle and gamble that theres a good, big outside Corner available in rd. 2. 

6 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

I'd be okay with Hayward but he's gonna have to play primarly in the slot, and we already have Darius there, so there would still be a gap outside. If we really want to solidify the DB's then I guess we could do something like: 

Sign Hayward in FA

Draft:

1: Trade back for William Jackson III or select a Pass Rusher or Nose Tackle and gamble that theres a good, big outside Corner available in rd. 2. 

Hayward can play outside as well.  I am not opposed to drafting a solid CB in the draft though.

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Hayward can play outside as well.  I am not opposed to drafting a solid CB in the draft though.

Just curious, how confident are you that he can play outside?  I just feel like him getting replaced on the outside by a Rookie last year is pretty telling.  I haven't went back and watched him, so I'm just curious what your thoughts are.  I hate to pay a guy $8mil a year to be a slot CB if he doesn't work on the outside.

If he gets 8/yr then it is solely on the FA spending due to cap increase IMO.  I would be more confident with him than Toler, Butler, or even Smith right now.  I would love to go grab a guy like Apple or William Jackson who are bigger and have some nice skills.

9 hours ago, Traines said:

Just curious, how confident are you that he can play outside?  I just feel like him getting replaced on the outside by a Rookie last year is pretty telling.  I haven't went back and watched him, so I'm just curious what your thoughts are.  I hate to pay a guy $8mil a year to be a slot CB if he doesn't work on the outside.

For the Pack it was really a matter of who is the best on the inside, Hayward or Randle? The answer is Hayward so You put him back inside and Randle on the outside. I don't think Randle would have been the better fit inside. That's why they moved Hayward back inside.

On March 3, 2016 at 5:32 PM, krunk said:

For the Pack it was really a matter of who is the best on the inside, Hayward or Randle? The answer is Hayward so You put him back inside and Randle on the outside. I don't think Randle would have been the better fit inside. That's why they moved Hayward back inside.

Herm Edwards recently said on ESPN that Hayward is a very good corner,  but his best position is the slot.