Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning's Clear Imprint on the NFL

bababooey

Good article, thanks for posting!  He really has changed the game.  I think the biggest way he's changed it is his cerebral approach.  That was unheard of a decade ago, but players today (especially QBs) have big expectations put in front of them for knowing the Xs and Os well, reading defenses, making adjustments, knowing blocking schemes, etc.

2 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Great piece of Peyton Manning's longevity & perserverance. How can you read this and come away with the notion that he doesn't stand a chance against the Panthers? 

Cant wait until Denver wins. ESPN guys will probably blame it on the weather or say Cam just wasn't ready. Carolina as of now is healthy so they cant use this excuse this week haha My bad Davis has a broken arm, that is why they lost haha 

2 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Great piece of Peyton Manning's longevity & perserverance. How can you read this and come away with the notion that he doesn't stand a chance against the Panthers? 

That's what astounds me the most too CR. Why are so many media personnel acting like Manning is dead on arrival on Sunday night? 

I heard RB Terrell Davis say to Amber Theoharris today that "The Panthers are clearly the favored team by everybody right now & the Broncos defense & QB have been hearing all week how they just suck & have no shot. We were told that when we played the GB Packers in the 1997 season that Brett Favre & company was the darling team destined to win & Denver upset the apple cart. Why can't that happen again?" Dismissed & under estimated is a great place to be because expectations & the weight of the world are not on you. Your team has nothing to lose since the world has left you for dead anyway." 

Thank you Terrell. A beautiful perspective there. I agree 100%

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

That's what astounds me the most too CR. Why are so many media personnel acting like Manning is dead on arrival on Sunday night? 

I heard RB Terrell Davis say to Amber Theoharris today that "The Panthers are clearly the favored team by everybody right now & the Broncos defense & QB have been hearing all week how they just suck & have no shot. We were told that when we played the GB Packers in the 1997 season that Brett Favre & company was the darling team destined to win & Denver upset the apple cart. Why can't that happen again?" Dismissed & under estimated is a great place to be because expectations & the weight of the world are not on you. Your team has nothing to lose since the world has left you for dead anyway." 

Thank you Terrell. A beautiful perspective there. I agree 100%

I know, it's comical. I don't see what they are seeing. Peyton is healthy and still very dangerous and Denver's D is the best. I hope people keep thinking this will be a cake walk in favor of Carolina. This kind of reminds me of 1983 when everyone said the Redskins would destroy the Raiders and the Raiders won 38-9. I would watch for CJ Anderson or Hillman to have a big game and Denver's Defense to force 2 or 3 Turnovers resulting in scoring opps.

@SW1, I think Denver will win a close one out of respect to Carolina but it wouldn't surprise me if Denver won big, it really wouldn't. I have just rolled on the Denver bandwagon all along and their Defense is nasty and on fire. They have a HOFame QB too that isn't making mistakes. We will see but I feel GREAT about this after what I seen in the Pats game.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know, it's comical. I don't see what they are seeing. Peyton is healthy and still very dangerous and Denver's D is the best. I hope people keep thinking this will be a cake walk in favor of Carolina. This kind of reminds me of 1983 when everyone said the Redskins would destroy the Raiders and the Raiders won 38-9. I would watch for CJ Anderson or Hillman to have a big game and Denver's Defense to force 2 or 3 Turnovers resulting in scoring opps.

Exactly CBE. I get the impression by the NFL media that Cam Newton & the Panthers have already won the SB even before kickoff. LOL! 

I watched the Rich Einsen Show on Monday & he had Willie McGinest was on as a guest & he basically said that Peyton has no shot against Carolina's LBs & their running game is better. Then Rich asked him out of all 3 championships you won which was you're favorite? His reply: "Our first one in 2000-2001 because nobody gave us a chance at beating the Rams & we shocked the world." 

I laughed so darn hard that I almost fell out of my chair. haha Oh the irony Willie. First you infer that the Broncos are screwed & then in the same breath you take satisfaction in the knowledge that all the naysayers who doubted your team's prospects were way off base & completely wrong. So your Pats can achieve Lombardi greatness when the world had written your club off but Peyton & that Denver defense can't do the same thing your team did? Please. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@SW1, I think Denver will win a close one out of respect to Carolina but it wouldn't surprise me if Denver won big, it really wouldn't. I have just rolled on the Denver bandwagon all along and their Defense is nasty and on fire. They have a HOFame QB too that isn't making mistakes. We will see but I feel GREAT about this after what I seen in the Pats game.

Yeah I know. The Broncos have been seeing all week TV personalities picking the Panthers to win it all like if you even dream of supporting Denver you're beyond stupid. It's like all they remember is Seattle demolishing the Broncos in 2013. What teams can't adapt & adjust? Wade Phillips is a darn fine DC & you don't think Hillman, Anderson, Manning, & that whole o-line are sick & tired of hearing how lousy they are & what a buzz saw they are about to encounter on Sunday. Why can't Orange Crush be the buzz saw?

No team ever just drops into the SB by pure accident or serendipity. Talent, IQ, & flawless execution are usually involved on offense, defense, & special teams. I don't care if Denver wins by 3 points. They will do what must be done. Enough said. Experience matters too I don't give a crap what anybody says. 

Peyton is as relaxed before a SB as I have ever seen him & I view that as a really good sign in Denver's favor. Cam hasn't seen the flashbulbs go off yet or stepped into a SB huddle for real yet. Can he manage the butterflies playing in the biggest game of his life yet? We'll see won't we... 

The Panthers beat 2 teams with winning records during the regular season (GB and Seattle). The Broncos beat 5 teams with winning records (KC, GB, NE, Minn and Cinn).

I was at the Colts game and saw the Colts almost make a comeback. If Andrew had not played horrible in the first quarter, the Colts might have won. I remember thinking then, that the Panthers were overrated.

Denver's ST and Defense has to play well, that's a given. But if Denver can move the ball on Carolina, the Broncos have a better chance than most of the "experts" are giving them. Can't wait to see Peyton lift the Lombardi again!

Thanks for posting this article.  What a career it has been for him,  and all of his fans too.

Sunday is always a BIG day at my house and this Sunday ~~  Win or Lose ~~  my entire family will be celebrating #18's  career and legacy and we  will have a full house in full support of Peyton.   It's been great over the years going to games together as a family or  just watching him from home on Sunday afternoons and evenings.

We know there is a good chance this will be his final game,  and we're all hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

The Panthers beat 2 teams with winning records during the regular season (GB and Seattle). The Broncos beat 5 teams with winning records (KC, GB, NE, Minn and Cinn).

I was at the Colts game and saw the Colts almost make a comeback. If Andrew had not played horrible in the first quarter, the Colts might have won. I remember thinking then, that the Panthers were overrated.

Denver's ST and Defense has to play well, that's a given. But if Denver can move the ball on Carolina, the Broncos have a better chance than most of the "experts" are giving them. Can't wait to see Peyton lift the Lombardi again!

Heck, the Colts might have won if Vontae catches the INT at the end of regulation or they convert the TD at the end of regulation on 3rd down rather than a FG. But yea, Panthers have played 3 playoff teams before the playoffs, Broncos played 7. Carolina's second ranked defense is closer to sixth than they are to Broncos at number 1, that's how big the margin is. Broncos have a much tougher division as well. I can't see Carolina as that much of a huge favorite just because of their QB.