Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriot road playoff wins

cdgacoltsfan

@San Diego in the divisional round, 2006. They won 24-21

Of course their away playoff game record is kind of hard to judge, as they've only played 7 away playoff games since 2001.

During that period, the Patriots are 3-4 in the playoffs in away games.

In the Brady era with him as starter the Pats have wins at Pitt in 2001, 2004. A win at SD in 2006, and that is it believe it or not. They have losses at Denver in 2005, 2013, and just the other day. A Loss at Indy in 2006 as well. Brady is 3-4 on the road in the Playoffs. The Pats have always used HFA to their huge advantage.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wasn't factoring in Neutral Sites which is the SB, just AFC Road games where he is 3-4. He is 4-2 on Neutral Sites = the SB.

Yeah, if we're factoring in superbowls as "away games", then the Patriots have a Playoff away record of 7-6 over the last 15 years.

Delving further, not counting superbowls, the Patriots have played 25 playoff games since 2001, with 7 away games, that means they have played 18 of those at Foxborough. During that period, the Patriots are 15-3 at Foxborough in the playoffs.

They have 13 playoff births since 2001, only missing the playoffs in 2002 and 2008. 

Sauces: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/playoffs.htm

edit for completionism:

Non superbowl record 2001-2015: 18-7

Including superbowls 2001-2015: 22-9

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Patriots fans will forever, like Brady and Belichick, live on the house credit they got from those initial 3 SB wins, and that will always give them the superlatives in any narratives about them, it is what it is, fair or not.

I mean, having a playoff record of 22-9 over a 15 year span helps too.

Look at 2 of the 3 playoff road wins. At pitt 2001 brady got hurt in the 2nd quarter Bledsoe came in when pitt was leading , threw a td pass and with help from kordell Stewart the pats won. Then in 2006 at San Diego brady throws a interception to end the game as a loss, but the charger defender tries to run and gets stripped ,pats recover and score. He really should have only 1 road win

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Patriots fans will forever, like Brady and Belichick, live on the house credit they got from those initial 3 SB wins, and that will always give them the superlatives in any narratives about them, it is what it is, fair or not.

That's a great point. They won 3 SB's in their first 4 years together and have only won 1 in the last 11 seasons but because of the 3 they can ride that on every debate they have. Really since the 2005 Season (2005-2015 seasons) which is 11 full seasons the Colts have been close to just as Great as them. Both franchises have won 1 SB since then and have close to the same amount of wins. It's the 3 SB wins right off the bat that carries them and their fans. They truly got lucky to win it last season, the Seahawks lost that more than anything.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's a great point. They won 3 SB's in their first 4 years together and have only won 1 in the last 11 seasons but because of the 3 they can ride that on every debate they have. Really since the 2005 Season (2005-2015 seasons) which is 11 full seasons the Colts have been close to just as Great as them. Both franchises have won 1 SB since then and have close to the same amount of wins. It's the 3 SB wins right off the bat that carries them and their fans. They truly got lucky to win it last season, the Seahawks lost that more than anything.

To follow up my Post, since the 2005 Season the Colts have an overall Regular Season record of 118-58, Patriots 133-43. That is basically only 1 more win a year over 11 seasons. The Colts even had a 2-14 season in 2011 other wise this would be super close record wise. That 1 Bad season is basically why the Patriots have won 15 more games which still isn't much over 11 seasons.

1 hour ago, SkyBane said:

I mean, having a playoff record of 22-9 over a 15 year span helps too.

Yeah, it was however 9-0 in 3 out of those 4 years resulting in those 3 SBs (2001, 2003 and 2004 all starting with the divisional round and they did not make the playoffs in 2002). 13-9 after that does not earn you much accolades as the initial 9-0, that is what I am getting at. :)

Montana was 16-7, Elway 14-7 etc., so the 9-0 start will forever give Brady and Belichick whatever latitude they want with the media, IMO.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, it was however 9-0 in 3 out of those 4 years resulting in those 3 SBs (2001, 2003 and 2004 all starting with the divisional round). 13-9 after that does not earn you much accolades as the initial 9-0, that is what I am getting at. :)

If you remove superbowls, that record becomes 12-7. Also realtalk, 13-9 is still a pretty freaking great playoff record. That's better than the Bengals and Chiefs combined, lifetime.

Just now, SkyBane said:

If you remove superbowls, that record becomes 12-7. Also realtalk, 13-9 is still a pretty freaking great playoff record. That's better than the Bengals and Chiefs combined, lifetime.

No doubt. It always depends on who you are comparing it to.

If you win 2 out of 3 playoff games with at least 1 SB win and a minimum of 10 playoff games, that is a great playoff record to me. Brady and Belichick definitely stand apart there, no doubt. If you win just 1 out of 2 playoff games with a SB win, it is a good playoff record to me. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Butler still had to make the play. I always have a problem with people saying Montana had great supporting cast, yada, yada etc. Montana still had to make the plays and throws. If Montana had Jerry Rice during his SBs, then how many SBs did Brady win with Randy Moss? You heard that right, 0. 

I won't discount a QB's SBs because of the supporting cast on the other side because the player still had to make his part of the plays, much like Brady threw the go ahead TD pass to Edelman last year. If Brady had not scored the TD and got just a FG, Russell Wilson would have been happy to get the FG to win it.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Butler still had to make the play. I always have a problem with people saying Montana had great supporting cast, yada, yada etc. Montana still had to make the plays and throws. If Montana had Jerry Rice during his SBs, then how many SBs did Brady win with Randy Moss? You heard that right, 0. 

I won't discount a QB's SBs because of the supporting cast on the other side because the player still had to make his part of the plays, much like Brady threw the go ahead TD pass to Edelman last year. If Brady had not scored the TD and got just a FG, Russell Wilson would have been happy to get the FG to win it.

I give Brady credit, he played GREAT in the 4th Qtr and put up 14 huge points against a Great Defense. The Seahawks blundered bigtime though by just not giving it to Beastmode at the end, Truly a disasterous and puzzling play call. For all of the Love I give Peyton I still have Brady rated better all-time as he has the Rings and Great Stats to go with it. Peyton does have a SB win and now 4 appearances in the big game + 5 MVP's and has beaten Brady led teams 3 times to make the SB so Peyton has to be Top 5 ever no matter what happens in this SB coming up, Brady is probably Top 3 ever. Montana and Unitas are In that discussion too.

I always thought homefield was important for BOTH Brady and Manning.

Chad used to say here at times too (he remembers) how good defensive teams travel well in the playoffs better. When the Pats/Steelers/Ravens and even the Jets years ago had "the defense" they could manage better on the road. It don't shock me much since I think 2006 is the last year I remember the Patriots really scaring us a lot on defense.......they have gone up and down a lot since then.

You see these defenses decline a bit and they don't function off their own field as well in a tough environment.

5 hours ago, SkyBane said:

13-9 is really good. It's not 22-9, though. Like chad72 already said, that initial run through 2004 was rarefied air, and deserves a ton of credit, but it was also over a decade ago. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I give Brady credit, he played GREAT in the 4th Qtr and put up 14 huge points against a Great Defense. The Seahawks blundered bigtime though by just not giving it to Beastmode at the end, Truly a disasterous and puzzling play call. For all of the Love I give Peyton I still have Brady rated better all-time as he has the Rings and Great Stats to go with it. Peyton does have a SB win and now 4 appearances in the big game + 5 MVP's and has beaten Brady led teams 3 times to make the SB so Peyton has to be Top 5 ever no matter what happens in this SB coming up, Brady is probably Top 3 ever. Montana and Unitas are In that discussion too.

I thought Brady gave it all he had in the 4th quarter of the SB last year and I give him a ton of credit for that. I think he wanted that year bad.

But, LOL at the SB ending too........you can't make that stuff up at times if you tried. lmao I am sorry but in a way it was kinda funny to see the Seahawks reactions too. Like "we won........oh wait.........what"?