Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite coaching change?

Lawrence Owen

17 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

It's fine to like the Philbin hire but don't make up some garbage about he is a "players coach".  That's it completely false and couldn't be further from the truth based on what I saw on Hard Knocks.

What i meant by 'players coach was not that he is 'friend' -aka Pagano.

I was implying that he focus' more on the players strengths and weakness' and makes the most of them. trying to put them in a position to shine with what they are good at, and not putting them in situations where their weakness' can be exploited.

Rather than how our previous o-line coach had a specific scheme, and attempts to mold players into it. 

He makes the most of what he has.

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I would still agree with this assuming he IS a standout.  He was a LUXURY pick, not a foundational one.  Of course no one knew back then how useless Johnson would turn out to be (though I was on record saying we'd have been better off keeping the money, resigning Wayne for a season and going forward, and I was told I was crazy and that Johnson was going to be our #1 receiver this year and going forward through his contract, blsah blah blah.   That certainly did NOT happen).  Wayne, I argue, even with all the QB problems, would have helped us win one more game and get into the playoffs, where, we'll never know if Luck could have come back and turned our team and season's fortunes around dramatically in the playoffs. 

I hope Dorsett turns out to be a solid player for us.  Brown proved by his play in NE that he is/was and will be a solid player for them.  

Luck and the WR trio of Hilton, Moncrief and Dorsett will be the strengths of this team going forward.  Saying it was a luxury pick is not accurate in my mind.  Plus it also represents a draft strategy that most teams use - adding good players to your team is a better strategy than forcing a pick based on need.  And as it related to Brown, didn't they address that position in later rounds with Anderson who certainly was having a larger impact than Brown was before he got hurt?

By the way, did you pull a muscle patting yourself on the back in that Johnson rant?

10 hours ago, JPFolks said:

exactly... imagine if we'd had Brown as well... he sure seemed to be valuable to New England.  He was sitting there... many here (perhaps you were always against Brown, I don't know) were stunned we left him sitting there.  WR's are being pumped out of Colleges in very high numbers.  I know Dorsett was supposed to have transcendent speed and I hope we see the benefit of it.   But imagine the combination of Anderson, Parry AND Brown, all learning and playing together into the future. Art Jones hasn't been on the field enough and it would have been nice to go into next season with Brown among out other standout D-Linemen.   

If they'd taken Brown, then it's highly unlikely they'd have also taken both Anderson and Parry.  We got Anderson, who was having a great year prior to injury...better than Brown...but we got him with a 3rd round pick instead of a 1st round pick.  Seems like we came out ahead in the deal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2016 at 8:06 AM, will426 said:

Well what's the point in getting brown when we got someone who's pretty much equal to him in production like Parry and someone who was playing up to the standard of Watt (without the sacks) in Anderson? I mean yes it would be good depth but Anderson is the superior player and he isn't the first round pick and he also wasn't struggling during any games he was in like brown

I know this is an ancient post, my apologies but I have been on a massive work project and today is the first time I have been back to the site.  Thanks for the response. 

It's more than just a depth issue.  We need a dominant Defense to win a Super Bowl.  We've ALL known that for a long time, but the Colts only had one dominant defensive post season and we won that Super Bowl with the oft injured but massively dominant Bob Sanders.   Having Parry and Anderson is great, and the were nearly universally supported picks at the time and since.  But Anderson (and the completely useless oft injured Art Jones) DID get hurt and we had no real depth.  Brown would have been part of building that monster we've been promised but so far has no materialized.  Imagine having Brown and then adding a set of REAL draftees at pass rusher, inside linebacker, corner and safety in this year's draft. The Bengals have built a monster talented team through the draft, we keep trying for short cuts through mid level, over the hill, and or over priced free agents.  Luxury picks are for teams that can afford it, and we couldn't.  New England made it back yet again to the championship game with solid front 7 play on defense and a QB with a worse O-Line, no better D back field and pretty limited WR's and one monster TE.   We need to build the monster on Defense, shore up the O-line and get ready to finally challenge and put ourselves in the place of New England where the AFC championship game is seen as underachieving because they seem to always be there in the end.   Brown should have been a Colt.  We should have won 9 games even with all the other problems and at least keep our AFC South streak in tact.  They are all stocking up in the arms race (Jacksonville's personnel is no joke and Houston continues to be a QB away.  Meanwhile we seem to slipping into a real dogfight in the AFC South instead of the dominant position.  Sure, we may be able to play the Manning years again with regular season wins but this isn't a playoff caliber defense and bottom line, we left an upgrade on the table that we sure could have used now and in the future., especially since money is far more an issue going forward.  

1 hour ago, bap1331 said:

the strenghs and conditioning coach. Too many injuries...

The injuries hit just about every team hard this last season. One point is the concussion issues. Players used to hide and the coaches used to just ignore those issues.  Players are no longer getting a shot to kill the pain as in the past. Everyone involved in the NFL are looking and seeing what the long term effects are by playing injured and cutting their careers short. With the multi million dollar lawsuits that have been filed and won, we will no longer see players playing injured as we have in the past.