Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

London to have NFL team by 2022

SkyBane

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Has nothing to do with Goodell.  The owners want it.    He works for them

100% correct. Some people seem to think that Goodell runs the NFL. All he is is a well paid face that takes the heat for the things the owners don't want to answer themselves. I highly doubt Goodell makes any moves without majority vote. People thinking Goodell has all this power is exactly what the owners want you to think.

On 1/22/2016 at 7:11 PM, buccolts said:

I'm not fond of this whole idea either, but here's my recollection of what I'd heard on this topic, and I thought I got it from this forum a few months back.

Let's say it's the Jags (and they were illustrated as the likely team). 

The Jags would play the fist 8 games in London.

All visiting teams would have their bye week the next week.

Week 9 would be the Jags bye week.

Weeks 10 through 17 the Jags come back to the U.S.

What I don't recall is if they'd then play the last 8 games in Jax, or be on the road the entire time, or a mixture.

Sounds like a lot of bending over backwards to make this work, but ..........?

What happens when London gets the home field advantage or first round bye?  Imagine playing Sunday in the wild card round and having to travel for a Saturday game in the divisional round.

38 minutes ago, colts_mp said:

What happens when London gets the home field advantage or first round bye?  Imagine playing Sunday in the wild card round and having to travel for a Saturday game in the divisional round.

From the linked article

Waller - the NFL's executive vice-chairman international - said a permanent UK franchise would offer American football an advantage over other US sports in expanding its reach beyond the States.

"We are in a unique position as a sport because of the way our season is structured - we only play one game a week,'' he said. "It's not something other American sports could do."

The NFL believes that the current format is more than enough time to acclimate to jet lag. Whether you agree or disagree is another matter.

11 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

From the linked article

The NFL believes that the current format is more than enough time to acclimate to jet lag. Whether you agree or disagree is another matter.

You know, all this talk about international expansion brings back memories for me. I remember when the old AFL was threatening the NFL market back in the 1960's with it's pass-happy league. Fans wanted to see that instead of the old run & pass once in a while NFL. It took hold. Many watched, including me. When the Jets beat the Colts in SB III, and the Chiefs beat the Vikings the following year in Super Bowl IV, it was ON. 

Those two pivitol games were the launching pad to the merge in 1970. A lot of people were upset. Some were extremely upset. However, it catapulted this league into a Mega-hit for professional football. I think that's exactly what the expansion is doing, along with the revenue of course, to get the NFL on a much larger platform than it is today.

Whether that's a good thing or not, is in the eyes of the beholder. I, for one, would not mind at all to see if this venue works out. If not, the league can always go back to it's original format.

This is not change for the sake of change. I think too many people won't yield to the idea that change, no matter how it's presented is not good. I disagree. Let's give it a chance, at least, before we go making hasty decisions at the mercy of only change itself.

I'm ok with it for the most part. I like the idea of more international fans.  it's fun

but, the thought of the Super Bowl in London makes me sad.  So inaccessible to most Americans......but then, I guess the Super Bowl already is.  All corporate and movie stars and politicians and people there to see and be seen.

We'll see how it goes

On 1/20/2016 at 10:24 AM, SkyBane said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/35360989

NFL spokesperson tells London it's on track to have a permanent American Football franchise in 6 years or less.

Is that where the Raiders will end up or are we gonna have 3 teams in L.A ?

What does this say to the Rams fans in St Louis ? There not worthy ?

I can just see it now the Cheerleaders Men in Kilts dancing on the sidelines a stupid greedy idea we have cities here that deserve teams the National Football League now is trying to have it both ways I remember a failed European Football League ,

Football is Soccer across the pond for all outside of the U.S

1 minute ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Is that where the Raiders will end up or are we gonna have 3 teams in L.A ?

What does this say to the Rams fans in St Louis ? There not worthy ?

I can just see it now the Cheerleaders Men in Kilts dancing on the sidelines a stupid greedy idea we have cities here that deserve teams the National Football League now is trying to have it both ways I remember a failed European Football League ,

Football is Soccer across the pond for all outside of the U.S

With a team in LA, all the major US markets are now covered. Yes, London will get a team before St. Louis gets another chance. That's just the nature of the business.