Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Castonzo Makes Pro Football Focus' 2011 All-Rookie Team.

bayone

Not exactly a glowing endorsement of Anthony, was it?

No not really

Tackles: Anthony Castonzo, IND & Tyron Smith, DAL

I won’t lie; I like the year Nate Solder has had a little more than Castanzo, but given he played right tackle, and plenty of TE as New England deployed heavy formations he stood no chance of making this team with Smith ahead of him. Smith, our All Pro selection at RT, had rough moments against Jason Babin in particular, but was immense outside of that. How else do you earn an All Pro nod? Castonzo had some trouble against bigger rushers like Terrell Suggs and Jeremy Mincey but after years of Charlie Johnson, can be viewed as a big upgrade already it seems at the LT spot

I watched 4 or 5 Cowboys games and 4 or 5 Pats game and I am a self proclaimed O-line expert and I think AC outplayed both Smith and Solder. I think he proved this year he was the best tackle in the 2011 draft. Yeah AC did struggle against Suggs big whoop... a lot of veteran tackles struggle against Suggs. He got very little help through out the year from a TE or guard plus he was playing next to a first time LG or the next no name when injuries happened. Through it all he form was perfect, he was very quick off the snap, has an excellent drop step. I was not super excited when the Colts drafted him because I thought CJ was a very good LT and I thought guard was a much bigger area of need than tackle. But his play really impressed me this year.

I think Castonzo did alright considering the short time he had to learn the Colts system, with the mini camps and a normal training camp, I think we will see a huge improvement this season.

he also had no one to teach him, just like ugoh, cj was gone like tarik glenn was, hopefully next year he will improve much with the experience training camp, he has a better outlook than ugoh, too bad he was protecting qbs on a make shift line that didnt get rid of the ball fast like peyton, so allowed more sacks and really had inexperience next ti him as well which id no help

Our own Dwight Freeney has said it takes tackles 4 or 5 years to become the best they can be so while I'm not incredibly impressed with Castonzo's year, it's not bad for a rookie left tackle. I don't particularly believe in numbers, especially sacks allowed considering if Peyton were playing, 75% of all our sacks would be gone.