Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills hire Ed Reed as Assistant DB Coach

Indyfan4life

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Go Ed !!!

I have a ton of respect for Mr. Reed as you know TOC. He's a sharp man & 1 of the most lethal guys in the secondary Baltimore has ever seen & he struck fear into all elite QBs during his prime. 

SW1 is pulling for your continued success on the sidelines Ed. Nice. 

37 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I have a ton of respect for Mr. Reed as you know TOC. He's a sharp man & 1 of the most lethal guys in the secondary Baltimore has ever seen & he struck fear into all elite QBs during his prime. 

SW1 is pulling for your continued success on the sidelines Ed. Nice. 

Wish the Ravens would have brought him in. Our secondary stinks. 

40 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Wish the Ravens would have brought him in. Our secondary stinks. 

Yeah, I hear ya TOC. It's nice to bring guys back home instructing the young pups what to do at a position Reed specialized in similar to what Pittsburgh did with Joey Porter at the LB position. 

Normally, I'm leery of hiring HOF players as coordinators because just because they excelled in the secondary themselves it doesn't necessarily mean they can teach other DBs how to flourish there, but Ed is the exception that defies the rule. Just his tone & demeanor makes me think he'd be a greater mentor & instructor to young CBs. 

Hades, I even wanted Reed to flourish in Houston since I loved that guy so much picking off passes & he was so skilled at taking them to the house too. They were poetry in motion baby. Ed would have been fantastic in Houston too. Sadly, his body started breaking down & lingering issues mounted. 

Reed is just 1 of the coolest cats around. I've seen him on NFL Insider with Boomer Esiason & he's got a sharp mind & he's very witty too. 

Reed's film study was amazing. I'd be like "Crap, where the hades did Ed even come from?!" Then, I'd see the reply in slow motion & go "Darn man, that was some sweet improvisation on the field man. You earned it. I can't even get mad at ya #20. Bravo!"

Jesus, just think of the chaos & anarchy Sexy Rexy & the interception master will be able to conjure up in Buffalo

Sorry TOC. I know this hurts especially when Reed could be working his mind magic in Maryland with John Harbaugh & Dean Pees. I feel your pain brother. Trust me. 

Part of me thinks Rex Ryan hired Ed Reed to make fans forget he hired his brother Rob since he struggled stopping anybody on defense in the Bayou in his 2nd year in Louisiana. 

I like Rob too & I hope he can resurrect his NFL career, but I couldn't work in close proximity with my sibling everyday. One of us would be dead in about 8 months or "mysteriously missing" anyway. No, I'm not kidding either. 

I love my sister & all, but we tend to step on each other's nerves after awhile. Distance is a marvelous thing. Just saying...

I know it's probably not kosher to say, but anybody starting to get the feeling Rex is just hiring his homies? It's pretty well known that he and Ed Reed were pretty close (resulting in Reed's last playing stint in New York). He's hired his brother and one of his old favorite players to run his defense. I hope he can separate personal and work time, because that could get ugly if he can't.

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Jesus, just think of the chaos & anarchy Sexy Rexy & the interception master will be able to conjure up in Buffalo

Sorry TOC. I know this hurts especially when Reed could be working his mind magic in Maryland with John Harbaugh & Dean Pees. I feel your pain brother. Trust me. 

I am hoping Ed is a big success. Hats off to Rex for hiring him. The Ravens did initially have plans for him to coach, but he didn't retire right away and went to play in Houston . 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

True great as a player, be interesting to see how he works out as a coach. As 21is said, it doesn't always translate. 

Surprised the Ravens couldn't find a spot for him.

Im not. He and Rex Ryan have been buddy buddy before. It's largely why he got his lost shot on the Jets.

On 1/14/2016 at 11:20 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I have my doubts about this move.  I like Ed Reed and I hope he has success, but a lot of his game was based on instinct, and you can't coach that.  Hopefully it works out well for him though.  I've always been a fan of Reed

Well lets remember he's an assistant DB coach.  Seems to me that being an assistant position coach in the NFL is essentially being a coach with training wheels on.  They are basically seeing if he can even coach at all.