Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Congrats to Bert Jones

jemack

16 hours ago, Larry Miller said:

Curtis Dickey was the surest thing for a td. Just give him the ball near the goal line and have him head off for the corner. There weren't any pylons in those days. But if there were? He'd probably have a half a dozen more.

Curtis was clocked as the fastest player in the NFL. I read that he had played center in high school but worked on his leg muscles and developed his speed. 

22 hours ago, Larry Miller said:

Curtis Dickey was the surest thing for a td. Just give him the ball near the goal line and have him head off for the corner. There weren't any pylons in those days. But if there were? He'd probably have a half a dozen more.

The Colts had that Two Headed Monster of a rushing attack all the way up till 85 or so when McMillan had the accident. The rest of the team, Pagel at QB, not so great.

On 1/9/2016 at 1:40 PM, The Old Crow said:

I forgot punter David Lee played with the Colts until 1978. He started in 1966 ! I always though we should have won the Raiders game. I think young Jim Irsay was a ball boy for the game. The Steelers beat the heck out of us in 75 and 76. I still remember Donald Kroner crashing the plane into the upper deck of Memorial Stadium immediately after the playoff game. I think he got a terrible towel caught in his propeller ! 

Yup and Toni Linhart the bare foot kicker! None of them around anymore. And ya Pittsburgh killed us twice was happy to get the Raiders, should of won but what a hell of a game!

On 1/9/2016 at 10:01 AM, King Colt said:

Everyone liked Jones in the pros and in college. Great fighter, athlete and competitor. Somehow I remember Roger Carr had big ears. I recall a great game against the Raiders and the great Ken Stabler with the Colts losing but it was a great classic. After football Jones had a hunting and fishing show in Louisiana, not a bad life for sure.

You know you are bringing up very painful memories for some of us!  :P

2 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Yup and Toni Linhart the bare foot kicker! None of them around anymore. And ya Pittsburgh killed us twice was happy to get the Raiders, should of won but what a hell of a game!

We should have won that Raiders game, no doubt. That one hurt. Poor Toni Linhart. I remember when he missed a key kick in a game that we lost, and Irsay came into the locker room and gave him $10,000 bucks for trying ! Linhart never ended up getting the money, but it was crazy times in those days. Bruce Laird was talking about that story on the radio this morning, comparing it to the Blair Walsh debacle. He also added John Dutton wanted to kill Linhart on the flight home, not literally , but he was angry. 

2 hours ago, cbear said:

You know you are bringing up very painful memories for some of us!  :P

Ron Lee had a great game for the Colts that day. There was over 52,000 people at the Worlds Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum , Memorial Stadium, that day. Casper and Stabler ruined our fun. This was the final playoff game in Baltimore, and the end of an era. 78-83 would find Bert Jones injured, then traded, Dutton , Carr, and many others sent packing. This was really the last fun game we had in those days. The next six years resembled 1972-74.